Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Brazilian Bosch Coil

So my OEM black ign coil made in Germany gave up the ghost. I have read the night mare stories with the S American made ones. Question is what are my options. I want to stay Bosch but do they even have German made ones left? I put in a loaner Petronix & can feel car breaking up under boost. It is drivable compared to the Bosch i removed, which still let the car run but broke up bad under boost initially leading me to believe a boost leak issue. Any advice from the brain trust appreciated.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

new ones just give up and burn up for no reason ... buy two and keep a extra in the glove box or just wait for a NOS black one come up for sale.. they last for decades
Old 06-16-2020, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

One option is P a r t s K l a s s i k (can't post link as Pelican blocks it) - they make their own that looks just like the Bosch black coils (but with no Bosch labeling) and it works great. When I emailed them with questions about the coil, several years ago, the person who responded said they were motivated to make a coil since the Bosch ones had been garbage for a long time (more than a decade). The cost is not outrageous compared to the Bosch, either.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
good to hear from ya here again good sir

bummer on the coil woes

I went MSD Blaster

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-17-2020, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Rawknees, that's the route I went. Great that they make what we need with the quality we expect. Cheers all.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
yes, the quality of the brazilian sink is very bad, i went through this 3 years ago.
Here in racing, the big engine builders use AKI ignition coils. I bought one 2 years ago and it has really good power (930). if you have any questions, please contact dominik

AKI - HKZ Spule
Old 06-18-2020, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I don't see any distributor in the US for these.
David
Performance Enginerding
Old 06-19-2020, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I would be happy to help you and buy one for you and send it to you. Get in touch with me and send me a PM.
I can also ask for the exact price if you want.
Greetings dominik

update, i seend a mail to AKI to ask the Price

Last edited by Dominik 930; 06-23-2020 at 11:00 PM..
Old 06-23-2020, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Had the same issue you're facing times two (dual plug). Tried the Brazilian coils without long-term success. Ended up getting the PK coils referenced by Rawknees above. Never needed to look back as they've worked flawlessly.

You can spend a lot of time trying to sort out coils, trying to find the exact NOS replacements... or you can get the PK version which looks the same (including the stickers) and (perhaps) better internals than the NOS would have.... and get back to driving.

:-)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I’m going to try this PK coil unless someone had bad long term results with it.

My engine is coughing /burping as I wind out a gear under boost. I get off the gas the moment it happens- when it does I see my AFR flash like 17 or 18 momentarily when it bucks.
I know enough that this is usually a boost leak but my TK longneck is well clamped and the only remaining o ring is a brand new Porsche one. My intake blocks are aluminum and fully torqued. New Bosch cap rotor and wpd0 spark plugs. Fuel pressures perfect and AFRs are great until it chops up under hard boost. Brand new injectors. Magnecor wires don’t arc when observed in darkness. I have confirmed that my wastegate opens with metered air pressure from a compressor at the hose that connects to the IC for boost signal. I even ran with my overboost switch wire grounded out to see if I was getting early overboost fuel pump dropout. Nope.
What pisses me is that the Coil tests out in spec - .5 between small posts, 675 from either post to center, but think i have ruled everything else out. ?

PS- it will wind out and hold 6,000+ if I don’t boost to it. Driveability before the issue is fine

Last edited by gsxrken; 11-22-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Old 11-22-2020, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have an original German 1986 coil that works perfectly and a tested but never installed high vibration msd blaster coil for sale. Pm me.

'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition. Tial f46P 1.0 bar spring, SC cams, K-27/29, lightweight clutch, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 11-22-2020, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: