Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Electric turbo?

Has anyone seen these guys? I won't comment on the price (probably doesn't seem worth it for a nominal amount of hp/torque) but it seems to be an interesting idea. Can also be used with existing turbos to improve lag. Thoughts?

https://torqamp.com/

Old 08-07-2020, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
These things are pretty legit, at least on smaller motors. The Cleetus McFarland youtube channel tested them out a while back and had pretty decent results. They tended to flow enough to build mild boost down low and into the mid range, but couldn't flow enough and tended to lose a few pounds of boost up top. If anyone has seen them, yeah they play up the redneck Florida man vibes, but they certainly aren't afraid to push components to the limit. And on top of that, they are pretty honest about results good and bad.

Here's the two videos they did on it. Single and then doubled up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_J2X88fSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yrxbcB4CwA

'79 Copper 911 SC
'88 White 911 Carrera- 98mm p/c with JE 8:1, Turbkraft EFI-T cam, Carrillo rods, Injector Dynamics 1050x, twin COP, AEM Infinity, twin Garrett GT2860rs's
Old 08-07-2020, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Jonathan, that's actually where I came across the Torqamp turbo, the Cleetus McFarland channel. Price aside, it seems like a two stage turbo setup like that would be a lot of fun - the electric turbo for low end boost transitioning to our stock turbos on the upper end: )
Old 08-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
77 Restorer

Garage
Here's the video on the '86 911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfyCwKddNeg
Since it's episodic boost (up to 2 - 4 minutes max continuous) I wonder if it's amenable to even the 2.7l mag case...
Old 08-07-2020, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

That extra horsepower and torque comes at a price just below $3k so I don't think it's worth it but dang, that would be a wild ride. Nice thing is that even though it's episodic boost - it takes 10 seconds to charge per 1 second of boost - it's not like I'm on boost that much to warrant that being an issue. Maybe a different story for a track rat but for me and my spirited driving, that would be a hoot.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
77 Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesaints View Post
That extra horsepower and torque comes at a price just below $3k so I don't think it's worth it but dang, that would be a wild ride. Nice thing is that even though it's episodic boost - it takes 10 seconds to charge per 1 second of boost - it's not like I'm on boost that much to warrant that being an issue. Maybe a different story for a track rat but for me and my spirited driving, that would be a hoot.

It does seem to be really interesting if you donít need higher end torque and playing in the lower side of 5000 rpm. Agree with the huge fun potential, but the price - and then you have to add the boot and filter and tuning as well. But if the price came down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I wonder if you could T it in after the regular turbo's compressor discharge with an electric valve or something. That way you can open it when you kick on the electric turbo on the low end and have it closed to prevent air back flowing through the electric turbo when it isn't running. Or just go for a compound set up and feed the electric into the regular turbo.

'79 Copper 911 SC
'88 White 911 Carrera- 98mm p/c with JE 8:1, Turbkraft EFI-T cam, Carrillo rods, Injector Dynamics 1050x, twin COP, AEM Infinity, twin Garrett GT2860rs's
Old 08-07-2020, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
77 Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post
I wonder if you could T it in after the regular turbo's compressor discharge with an electric valve or something. That way you can open it when you kick on the electric turbo on the low end and have it closed to prevent air back flowing through the electric turbo when it isn't running. Or just go for a compound set up and feed the electric into the regular turbo.
I think you're exactly right. They suggest this through a control box/ECU approach - https://torqamp.com/control-box/ . That way it helps with the low end and shuts off when the stock turbo hits.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I have invested less than $3000 to add a "real" turbo my 3.2, so I don't think its worth it.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Looks like they dyno'd a compound setup on a Supra 2JX turbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWoZtDsYdwk

Also, pulled these from the comments:
In this case the TorqAmp is placed after the compressor of the turbo with a Y-piece. Before the intercooler there is also a Y-piece with a one way valve. This to make sure that at the low massflow the TorqAmp increases pressure and at the extreme high massflow when the turbo is on pressure the TorqAmp is no limitation because it is bypassed.

When the one-way valve is large enough it will be no limitation at all. We focus now on the 3inch version but bigger and smaller is also possible. Keep in mind that there is also air flow through the TorqAmp compressor (even when turned off) because it is placed in parallel to the valve.
Here are a few diagrams of implementation using their bypass valve: https://torqamp.com/bypass/

Last edited by freesaints; 08-10-2020 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: copy change
Old 08-10-2020, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
77 Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesaints View Post
Looks like they dyno'd a compound setup on a Supra 2JX turbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWoZtDsYdwk

Also, pulled these from the comments:
In this case the TorqAmp is placed after the compressor of the turbo with a Y-piece. Before the intercooler there is also a Y-piece with a one way valve. This to make sure that at the low massflow the TorqAmp increases pressure and at the extreme high massflow when the turbo is on pressure the TorqAmp is no limitation because it is bypassed.

When the one-way valve is large enough it will be no limitation at all. We focus now on the 3inch version but bigger and smaller is also possible. Keep in mind that there is also air flow through the TorqAmp compressor (even when turned off) because it is placed in parallel to the valve.
Here are a few diagrams of implementation using their bypass valve: https://torqamp.com/bypass/
Very cool options! Hopefully, as they become more established, the offering will become more modestly priced.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Bert, I agree. Although it looks really cool, and in a compound setup could address turbo lag, it's still pretty expensive. Probably not worth it from a pure cost-per-horsepower standpoint, but if the price were lower...

Old 08-12-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: