Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
E-85 sippin drunk

CoP project

I decided to make the jump to Coil on Plug. Of course, my first, and only call, was to Chris Carroll at Turbokraft www.turbokraft.com . He knew everything I needed to have, including the little hex standoff spacers to make the RSR hold down brackets fit the CoP's. There are SEVERAL different lengths of CoPs, so not that its a secret, but Chris has already done the leg work to find the coils that fit the best and properly.
I went to www.prowireusa.com for my wire, heatshrink, and connectors. I used the best stuff out there (Raychem DR25, Tefzel wire, Deutche connectors, etc). I will tell you that it pays to use the good stuff. There is absolutely NO comparison between this and the crap you can buy at any parts store.
Shout out the Chris for helping me with this. Its awesome to be able to call someone who actually knows about what he sells. Thanks brother, I really appreciate you!!

Dumped my phone in the pool over the 4th of July, so lost all the pictures I took of the install. However, I did make a post on IG.... so click the link for a few pictures of the process!!!

I will tell you that the difference was IMMEDIATE and profound. Rock solid idle, and absolutely ZERO issues.

IG link.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_wBPOFl1A8/?igshid=o61mowz1r4dl

Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 10-02-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
I will tell you that it pays to use the good stuff. There is absolutely NO comparison between this and the crap you can buy at any parts store.
hear hear! Absolutely worth the extra few %. Especially a few years down the road when cheap PVC and other parts become embrittled, fatigued, and deformed from heat cycles.
'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition. Tial f46P 1.0 bar spring, SC cams, K-27/29, lightweight clutch, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 10-02-2020, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Clean install!! What coils did you use? Is the Link G4 EFi system setup to trigger 12 coils??
Old 10-02-2020, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

One of my favorite 930s.How is the new clutch holding up?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcorp View Post
Clean install!! What coils did you use? Is the Link G4 EFi system setup to trigger 12 coils??
Thanks! The Link has 8 dedicated ignition channels. So, anything 8cyl or under, can run direct spark. A V-10 or V-12, you would need to run wasted spark. Since these are smart coils, you can run both coils for each cylinder off of one ignition channel, so IGN #1 would be CYl #1, and so on. (this is also an older ECU, so they may have a newer model out that might be able to run more). On my old setup, I ran an M&W CDI pro16b box. I split the outgoing signal to a pair of 3x3 Bosch coilpacks, which actually HALVED the power to the coilpacks. In order to be able to run a true direct spark with full power available from the high power CDI boxes, I would of had to buy another CDI box, and run two of them.... at $1300 or so for a second box, I choose to do CoP. I got rid of all the HT leads, the coilpacks, and lessened the chance of noise from the HT leads. All while bringing the ignition system into the modern day, not that there is anything wrong with a CDI system.
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 10-02-2020, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbodman930 View Post
One of my favorite 930s.How is the new clutch holding up?

Thanks, Kevin!!!! The new clutch is doing great. I have to get it back on the dyno to get the rest of the tune completed for pump gas (14psi) and on E-85... (20 psi). I have a few obligations that I need to tend to, but it will be back on the dyno soon
We hit right at 500HP at the crank, before the clutch started to slip.. on ONLY 6psi
So, I think we are on target for a very well performing engine
Old 10-02-2020, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

That is fantastic has she always been on E85?500 at 6pnds is really a great # i can't wait to hear what she put down full boost on E85.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So what coils are you running??
Old 10-03-2020, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Denso COPs
If you need some, give us a call or email.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 10-06-2020, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Brad's car is incredible. Very inspiring.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Brad's car is incredible. Very inspiring.
Thank you, Sir!!!! I wish my car was as perfect as some of these pictures make it look like.... but I will tell you that the side skirts have rock chips, etc... This car is driven, and is used like it should be. Definitely NOT a garage queen.. LOL Picture is by Nick Rico Photo

Last edited by turbobrat930; 10-07-2020 at 03:57 PM..
Old 10-07-2020, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Chris answered your question before I got back on here. Yes, they are Denso coils. They fit perfectly!
Old 10-07-2020, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
really great to see you back on here, with inspiring work as usual there sir - keep up the good werk!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-12-2020, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Iím using the Denso 673-1301 COPs.

I based dwell time off threads like this one: https://www.miataturbo.net/megasquirt-18/dwell-observations-toyota-cop-44131/

'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition. Tial f46P 1.0 bar spring, SC cams, K-27/29, lightweight clutch, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: