Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 newbie

Hey guys,
Had my 930 about 3 weeks had a couple of questions. my previous car was an 81 sc, was pretty easy to adjust the valves on that car. what turbo bits do you guys usually remove to get to the upper valve covers on your 930s? also noticed that the seal where the intercooler meets the tube leading to the turbine is not seated completely, how detrimental is that in terms of performance, should I try to adjust it so it seats properly. also wondering if anyone running yokohamas, experience an incredible amount of tire noise coming from the rear, it almost looks like it is running on the inside edge of the tires looks like it might be starting to feather. tires have less than 6000 miles on them. too much negative camber set in by PO maybe? great forum guys, I have already replace my sunroof cables and broken steering column bushing. would have never figured it out without this great resource. also the car is an 87 with an andial intercooler

Thanks guys
Eric
Old 11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

To adj the valves you'll want to at least remove the intercooler, AC compressor if you have it (by unbolting it and resting it on the fender), and any alum/rubber tubing on the left side you can. Maybe the engine tin on the sides as well.

There's a rubber seal between the turbo up pipe and intercooler, buthat's not what seals it. There are o-rings in there that do the job.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-09-2006 at 04:20 PM..
Old 11-09-2006, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Rocket, thanks for the tips, figured someone knew how to do it removing the least amount of stuff. thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It still won't be easy. Do you have the correct valve adj tool?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Nice car!

Negative camber in the rear is good. Can you post pics of the tire wear? Most Turbos eat rears 2:1 over fronts - some in as little as 5,000 miles.

Director of Automotive Insights at Kelley Blue Book / Forbes automotive contributor
Old 11-10-2006, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
emission, thanks. I will try to take some pics of the tires it is fairly subtle as far as visual wear on the tires, I bought the car about three weeks ago, and drove it from Seattle to Indiana, thought it was odd that I had tire dust? or finely ground up tire on the rear wells of both sides, when I got home. it appears to be wearing on the inside edges of both sides. the tires do not seem to be worn out. just curious if the obnoxious tire noise is a normal thing I will have to live with on the yokohamas. had some experience with this on another car 04 350z, that are notorious for wearing out the inside edge of the front tires resulting in the loud noise from the tires. I don't think it could be wheel bearings since the noise is exactly the same when cornering or going in a straight line. I guess I just need to get it on a rack and find out, unless there is a simple way to measure the camber at home. I suspect maybe the PO tweaked in a little more neg camber than factory spec, It did not make the noise for the first 1000 miles on my trip home but started gradually getting louder, now it roars.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
also, going to do the mods before too long. Had in mind K27, B+B headers with the heat exchanger, B+B exhaust. Looking for just a little bit more HP, and hopefully a little better drive-ability in terms of "turbo lag" What was your initial impression of the car after you performed these mods? was it very noticeable? Also the car already has an Andial racing intercooler installed, should this be sufficent for the K27? don't know the exact model, but is noticeably larger than the stock intercooler. Also should I use the 1.0 bar wastegate spring or leave the .8 in it for reliability? Car is street driver only.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

welcome to the board. I am also in Evansville. Please contact our PCA Pres. Keith @ 8124801807. He has been trying to reach you via the board but is having technical problems. He has a 930 also. We'll get you help locally.

James
1990 964 RS project
2016 991 GT3 RS on order
Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

How old are the tires? They may have low miles, but that doesn't matter. Have someone who is knowledgable with Porsches to look at the alignment.

I read a thread about the Z cars having noisy tires as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: