Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone stick an intercooler on a turbocarrera

I've got a friend who's considering a 930. I've been having a crazy idea. A turbo carerra is like 600 pounds lighter than my 930. Has anyone stuck an intercooler on a stock turbo carerra motor? It seems like, with the 1 bar boost setting and 6.5 CR, an intercooler would light it right up, increasing power with little downside. It might even tolerate a little more boost. One option would be an intercooler on the driver's engine compartment side ALA Ruf Yellowbird.

Anyone have any experience with adding an intercooler to a 3.0?

Phil Guziec
89 930
65 Mooney Turbo
65 Vette Convertible
90 Mustang Supercharged
shaved gutters
backdated to opening vent windows
Old 11-12-2006, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I added an Andial I/C to my stock 3.0, with 1.0 bar spring. It has enough power to challenge the limits of the stock clutch. Google ray hall turbo. There is a worksheet there that indicates the gains you could expect with the addition of an I/C. Loosely translated, about 30 HP advertised.
Past rides: '74 914 1.9 liter twin plugged track car, '83 928S, '87 924S, '75 911S w '78 ROW 3.0, '72 911T, '70 911T and various other insignificant domestic examples. Happiness is a grey tailpipe! Turbo lag......it's worth the wait!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Given the 6.5 CR instead of 7.5, it seems you could also increase the boost to 1.2 bar or so, no? Stock is 1.0 on a 3.0, right?
shaved gutters
backdated to opening vent windows
Old 11-12-2006, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Stock boost was .8 bar
Past rides: '74 914 1.9 liter twin plugged track car, '83 928S, '87 924S, '75 911S w '78 ROW 3.0, '72 911T, '70 911T and various other insignificant domestic examples. Happiness is a grey tailpipe! Turbo lag......it's worth the wait!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
typ 911

My '74 911 is a 3 liter twin plug turbo, with 7.5 to 1 comp. 935 pistons and
a custom fabricated intercooler. To answer your question, intercooling an
early turbo is a good idea for both increased HP (particularly as temps increase) and peace of mind for a hot running turbo.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I added an IC to my 77 930 3.0 Litre. It is now a 3.2 running all the goodies internally along with 8:1 CR. IMO the best mod you can do to a non IC car is add one! Not only for the power increase, but the longevity of the engine will be greatly improved!

Here's a pic of my custom fabbed IC.

.................................................. C
Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Yes you can add an intercooler to the early turbos, you can run a long neck intercooler that connect right up to the tb, since the 3.3 had the OEm bypass valve assy. Instead you can run a vta BOV to dump boost on closed throttle. FYI, I had NO intercooler on my 77 911 turbo, with K27 7200, sc cams, B&B headers, straight pipe, stock guts, and ran 1.1 bar constantly.....not saying its the best setup, but it did have 155,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, and had rebuilt it at 90k due to valves I bent on a missed shift, but P/C's were still in wear limit. I used to kick the sh#t out of that car too, drag race, street race, track, you name it.....hell, I even drove it through 3.5 feet of water one time in a flood and made it through....not that that has anything to do with the intercooler

.....ran 11's in the 1/4 on pump gas and street tires and stock clutch

Little 2400 lbs monster
Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldi
Yes you can add an intercooler to the early turbos, you can run a long neck intercooler that connect right up to the tb, since the 3.3 had the OEm bypass valve assy. Instead you can run a vta BOV to dump boost on closed throttle. FYI, I had NO intercooler on my 77 911 turbo, with K27 7200, sc cams, B&B headers, straight pipe, stock guts, and ran 1.1 bar constantly.....not saying its the best setup, but it did have 155,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, and had rebuilt it at 90k due to valves I bent on a missed shift, but P/C's were still in wear limit. I used to kick the sh#t out of that car too, drag race, street race, track, you name it.....hell, I even drove it through 3.5 feet of water one time in a flood and made it through....not that that has anything to do with the intercooler

.....ran 11's in the 1/4 on pump gas and street tires and stock clutch

Little 2400 lbs monster
Did you run stock ignition and fuel injection?

P.S. I read about your car in Excellence. Are you really hanging up your wrenches? How can you be as passionate as this about cars, and just quit?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bone stock ignition, single plug, and stock CIS... I mean I fattened it up a bit, but no enrichment or anything like that. I remember like it was yesterday....the way your eyes would water when you stood behind the car and the exhaust enveloped me, the stench that all my clothes had when I got out of it, the 5 foot set of flames that would dump out for 3 seconds from each tailpipe, and the mileage...oh the gloriuos 8 mpg! Those were the days of being young and careless....got the tickets, the gas receipts and the t-shirt to prove it!

Wouldnt say quit, just stopped, I still have the tools, Im thinning out the herd though, getting rid f a lot of stuff I dont need anymore, tooling, lit, parts etc. It was a part of my life thats in the past. I still will work on my own stuff it I need to, but it was time for a change....It was the Ferraris that did me in....err, I did them in....long story.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
FYI, I had NO intercooler on my 77 911 turbo, with K27 7200, sc cams, B&B headers, straight pipe, stock guts, and ran 1.1 bar constantly.....
I think your saving grace there was due to the engine running a very low C/R of 6.5:1

How did it perform off boost? Was it a dog?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-06-2006, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yeah, but they all are, it wasnt that bad, there was no ic to fill so it spooled up a bit quicker, plus I had an 8:39 ring and pinion, and SC cams woke it up a little. I had at one point 993 cams in it, and I had women in dodge caravans taking me off the line....then at 5k, wham! the ass squatted and all hell broke loose, those sucked for street.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

LOL! As I said, GOD created lag to give V8's (& women in Dodge Caravans) a chance

Running 11's through the 1/4 mile is nothing to laugh about tho
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-06-2006, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yeah, I ran an 11.8 at 120 mph at englishtown the first time I went out. I pulled a 12.2 at 118 the first two run with bogging it off the line, trying to get used to that type of launch. But the Thing that was something to laugh about was when I went back the next time, and was all ready to really take a good stab at it, pulled up , did a burnout, staged, and then held the revs at 4500, with the clutch a tad bit engaged so I had a fair amoutn of boost built, with my toe on the brake holding it, and my heel on the gas pedal, and when the tree went down I just let it go and went to WOT , and the RPMs went crazy bouncing off the rev limiter, and the motor was popping and the wastegate was wide open, yet I walked off the line at a pace you could run faster than, and as the 1993 Honda civic I was running against putted away to do his 14 second pass, and the cockpit filled with smoke and this burning smell of onions and clutch, I knew I went a tad too hot with it. The clutch was done, everytime I got back on the gas, the revs would shoot up and the car would keep lollying along with the clutch slipping. And of course on the drive home, an rt 9, this gido in a Z06 comes up next to me al lurching his car like he wants to play, and all I could do was laugh and shrug. Damn stock clutches.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

I installed a Garretson unit on my 77 930.

3.0L Euro motor with SC cams, headers, K27-7200, running 0.8bar boost and stock internals...stock CIS, ignition, and single plugs too.

Man, I loved your 77 930, Christian.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
And of course on the drive home, an rt 9, this gido in a Z06 comes up next to me al lurching his car like he wants to play, and all I could do was laugh and shrug. Damn stock clutches.
hehe, these things happen at the most unexpected times eh?

The other day I was "cruising home" and came up next to a bright yellow Diablo That thing looked and sounded so sexy and I really wanted a stab at that car, so when the lights went green, I waited for him to go first, gave him 3 seconds then planted my foot through 1st and 2nd. I launched hard and fast ahead of him, but he bloody backed off

I guess he didn't want some @ss whooping from an inferior "old" Porsche
Old 12-06-2006, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

thanks fo rthe compliment....and sorry for my typos. I meant to say guido, not gido. Anyway, I do wipe my ass much better than I type!

I used to hang with bikes on the highway...well up unitl a certain speed and Id run out of gear, but I be close to them most of the time....but there was this one night when there was this guy on an R1....forget it, it wasnt happening
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hmmm, the Yamaha R1's are an impressive bike... very light and powerful. You'd need some serious HP to compete with one of those on the FWY.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

yeah, like a hyabusa
Old 12-07-2006, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Check out this Hyabusa Twin Turbo accelerate to 220mph! SCAREY!!!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/138523/hyabusa_twin_turbo/
Old 12-07-2006, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: