Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New to the 930

I just recently got my 83 Euro 930 on the road. It was reported to have sc cams. I just put an Andial one bar spring and 8:39 r&p in it.

I did the r&p and one bar spring before ever having driven it. I also first had it gone through and tuned up by Tom Amon - mobile Porsche mechanic.

While it runs great and is fast when the boost comes on, I'm not overly impressed. It just seems to have alot of lag. I was hoping it wouldn't be so drastic with the new gears and sc cams.

This is the first 930 I've driven. Are 930's really this doggy before boost?

Thanks-
Craig Backer

Old 11-15-2006, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice looking car, congrats

930's are well known for their laggish performance and there's a few things you can do to minimise lag on these cars.

You'll have to spend a few thousand dollars in bolt-on mods, but it's well worth it. Get yourself a set of aftermarket headers, free flowing exhaust system & more efficient intercooler (the OEM unit is a paper weight). Couple that with a more modern turbocharger and pre-boost drivability/torque is greatly improved
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 11-16-2006, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

nice car! do u have more pics of it and are the windows tinted? i have the same slant nose and cant figure out if i should get the windows tinted.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have an '86. It's got the short R/P, GHL headers, Fabspeed muffler, K27-2700 turbo, SC cams, and Kokeln intercooler. It's running just over 1 bar (mostly because the exhaust makes a .8 bar spring run higher)

Admittedly, this is now old-tech as far as performance mods because better parts seem to be available now. I'm very pleased with the performance. The boost comes on as low as 2250 and I get full boost as early as about 2700 (not that I can watch it for long)

I originally had a GHL dual-out muffler on the car (soon to be for sale), but it was too loud for me. The GHL actually let it spool a little quicker. Be careful about more than 1 bar of boost and look into fuel enrichment if you go further with mods. You can run lean at higher RPM's and that's very unsafe for the motor.

That's a very nice looking car!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: