Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HKS Boost Controller

Have been staring at a new HKS EVC V unit for too long. Want to get the thing installed on my 930 but the instructions are all in Japanese. I was able to find some english docs on the HKS website but they were for the EVC IV and it looks like the ports on the stepping mechanism are different.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can help you. I have one on my car. Send me your number and I'll give you a call,
Dave
Old 11-20-2006, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave -

Appreciate the offer... managed to track down the correct instructions (in the correct language). That combined with some photos that Joe Mag had provided cleared up the questions I had.

Thanks again for the kind offer though. If I run into any issues I may drop you an email.

Regards and Happy Holidays.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
still don't get how these things work. can someone explain how these controllers affect boost?

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-24-2006, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Its real easy to understand. First, the spring always determines the lowest boost you can set because by tuning the controller completely off the only thing left is the spring. The highest boost is determined by how much you restrict the boost pressure from pushing against the spring diaphram. The boost pressure comes from the high pressure side of the turbo and is directed to the under side of the spring diaphram. With no restrictions, (Boost controller), the WG will open at whatever the spring rate is. As you reduce the boost pressure to the diaphram, (Boost controller), the total boost at the engine goes up proportionally because there is less pressure trying to lift the diaphram/spring up. I hope that helps. If you ever take a WG apart, it will be so obvious to you.

Last edited by 911rudy; 11-24-2006 at 07:22 PM..
Old 11-24-2006, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
im having a bad day. I still dont understand! I thought the wastegate was actuated by exhaust pressure not boost pressure! I understand that the stronger the spring in the wastegate the more resistance to exhaust pressure and therefore the more boost you get but I dont get how a little electronic box can have such a big influence on such a large mechanical process.

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-25-2006, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally posted by adomakin
im having a bad day. I still dont understand! I thought the wastegate was actuated by exhaust pressure not boost pressure! I understand that the stronger the spring in the wastegate the more resistance to exhaust pressure and therefore the more boost you get but I dont get how a little electronic box can have such a big influence on such a large mechanical process.

1. Wastegate is actuated by pressure on wastegate diaphragm. Exhaust pressure has little influence.

2. If you remove the hose feeding the diaphragm, wastegate will never open and boost will raise in uncontrollable manner.

3. If you have small electro-pneumatic valve controlling the feed of wastegate, you can let computer controll the boost by simply shutting of and opening a small valve.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
rrright! now i geddit! thanks goran. having never looked inside a wastegate I assumed that the pressure from the exhaust gas PUSHES the diaphragm open against the spring and you add boost by installing a stiffer spring i.e. 1 bar spring being stiffer then .7 bar. every days a school day!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I am sorry to complicate things but...

I thought to increase boost you insert a tee piece before the wastegate, then from the new connection this goes to the EB controller and then to the vent of the wastegate. The additional pressure on the top of the wastegate means more boost pressure is allowed before the wastegate opens.
???
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-27-2006, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
I am sorry to complicate things but...

I thought to increase boost you insert a tee piece before the wastegate, then from the new connection this goes to the EB controller and then to the vent of the wastegate. The additional pressure on the top of the wastegate means more boost pressure is allowed before the wastegate opens.
???
There are different ways to skin a cat.

Problem with your approach is that you need a controlled leak in vent portion of wastegate. Otherwise you will pressurize the top portion of the wastegate, and once valve shuts, it will keep it pressurized. In ideal case, you would be able to raise boost only once...after that the top will be kept pressurized.

It can be solved by using a T-controller solenoid, that either connects top of wastegate to plenum post turbo or to intake between turbo and filter and then pulse-width modulating it. But most of the time it's unnecessary fuss. You just bleed the pressure line going to bottom of WG in controlled manner.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Thanks Goran.
After I had posted I was wondering about that.
I know the RUF in car boost adjuster is a diaphragm regulator which places pressure on the top vent.
When I eventually get it all together I will find out. My Blitz instructions were all in foreign...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hey Rob, check your email. I will email the english PDF....Why didn't you just ask
Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Stephen... actually I got a copy from Alex last week. He was very helpful.

Thanks though bud!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Would anyone happen to have any English Blitz instructions ?
http://www.blitz-performance.com/Blitz_Boost_Dsbc.htm

Last edited by NathanUK; 11-28-2006 at 02:40 PM..
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: