Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Has anyone tried one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-Supercharger_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQihZ 020QQitemZ300041271354QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Wondering if it is just a piece of crap or would make a difference?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Err...you are kidding, right?

It takes 20-30 horsepower to do any sort of meaningsfull pressurization. That's around 20kW of electrical power. 20kW of power from 12V is ~1600A of current.

If you know a thing or two about electricity you will know that wire gauge that transfers 1600A is very very thick. And I'n not even talking about demand on battery. So yeah, it's crap all right.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

Try to imagine a eng running at just 3000 rpm..now try to imagine the lil electric motor tyring to fill the cylinders at that low speed...esp with boost on top of it................get the picture ?? cant happen. could not even do one cyl ...could not blow a fart off a ant
Old 11-20-2006, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Hmmm 2.2 amps at 12 volts equals 26 watts or .035 HP.

In an old turbocharging book by Hugh McInnes it mentions that it is not uncommon for a turbo running at full song to actually develop over 100 HP measured at the turbo shaft. I have no idea if this is true, but 100 HP equates to about 75,000 watts.

That thing would just end up being a restriction.

What Beep said...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I put one of those on my car and I dropped into the mid 9's in the quarter mile with it, the response is unbelievable. I was going to go with an ATI procharger, or a roots blower, but I figured instead of spend the money Id try this first........wow, what a differnce! As soon as I pulled out into traffic and hit the gas, the car lept forward with ferocity and went sideways (I have an AWD twin turbo that I took the turbos off of just so I could run this unit) the added benefit to this also is that my girlfriend and I went on a road trip a while back and we wound up sleeping in the car one night, and in the morning we had to poop in the woods behind trees, and bath in a creek with a bar of lever 2000 and wildlife watching us, and she was all pissed becasue she had no way of drying her hair after the bath in the stream, so in my clever witty way of appeasing her, unhooked my supercharger from the motor, and she used it to blowdry her hair, she was so happy. I also have been using it as a leaf blower to do my driveway, walkways, and lawn until I can get my tail over to Home Depot and buy a backpack blower. I plan on using it to blow up all my inflatable pool toys next summer when the weather gets nice, so Ill let you know how it goes.

Last edited by garibaldi; 11-23-2006 at 10:23 AM..
Old 11-23-2006, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

LMFAO @ Christian
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 11-23-2006, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

garibaldi- you ought to write books !! ROFL !!! now what about moose ??and squirrel..and rabbit..and... I have to go get an other beer ye Ha
Old 11-23-2006, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
I actually saw one on a Honda that had a chance to work. It was designed for a 1.5 liter engine. I think that is important (the size of engine) since current draw and amperage is somewhat limited in an auto design. NO, nothing like the above which is junk.

This design was built by some EE guys. It was a drag racing specific application that could only hold boost for something like 15 seconds. They installed an extra battery, 2/0 wires, and kept everthing in close proximity. Keeping it close is important since voltage drop over a wires length and cross section are relative.

OK enough delay: They used a positive displacement roots style blower of adequate size for a 1.5 liter engine. They drove it with three gear driven 5hp starter motors. So this yields about 15 hp of blower drive which if geared correctly could/should make some real measurable boost. Some may doubt this could work either....I certainly doubt the above stule in the auction, but in a limited narrow application it might be possible. It would certainly add a lot of weight.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/LukeSportsman
Old 11-23-2006, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

E-RAM! It's guaranteed!
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

It levitates! It blows Duraflame logs!
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/images/videos/video3.mpg

Last edited by Craig 930 RS; 11-26-2006 at 08:17 AM..
Old 11-26-2006, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldi
...my girlfriend and I went on a road trip a while back and we wound up sleeping in the car one night
I was buying it until you said you actually slept in the 996.
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 12-02-2006, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well, to correct you, it was actually a 993, much more roomy and cushy, with seating for 7 grown adults....

Plus that e ram link.....wow.....I was sold when I saw the duraflame log get blown around....and the garbage bag demo, well Id need to see if they were using hefty cinch sacks or a generic store bought garbage bag to really be convinced....I was on the brink of dropping the $500 plus dollars on the twin system when I realized that there is a holiday price break on CONAIR hairdryers at CVS right now, for $19.99 each, so Ill try those first

Last edited by garibaldi; 12-02-2006 at 07:26 AM..
Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: