Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
high idle when cold

I recently started notciing that my 1979 930 turbo remains on a high idle now that the weather has gotten cold in Michigan.
I start the car and it never seems to come below 1200-1500rpm even when left to idle for over 10 minutes.
-----After driving the car under load for 20 minutes or so the idle will still remain at 1200rpm or more when I stop at a light.
The weather here is now in the 40 degree F range and I never had the problem in the summertime.
----Anyone know what is the cause and what I should check?

The car is completely stock and the summer idle was 900rpm according to the tach.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

hmmm, a bit strange. My Carrera idles high on cold start for a minute or two, but then settles to 850rpm's or so. I don't know much about the CIS systems, but sounds to me like you have a dodgey WUR (Warm Up Reg)? Hopefully someone more CIS-savy would tune in here. Good luck!
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

AAR sounds like it lost power to close in its time frame or it is shot..

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4

*Reproduction 914-6 oil tank source* 2623647426
Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

AAR or the AAV. Both will cause issues. You can take off the AAR and apply 12 volts to the plug. The unit should start closing down in less than 5 minutes. If it doesn't then it is bad. The unit will then only close based on the heat of the motor reaching the unit instead of the unit heating on its own to close the door. There is a bi-metal strip that heats up and closes the door. This is what goes bad.

If this is not the problem the AAV is stuck and or bad. This aids in start up around the AAR when you hit the key. It runs on the same circuit of hoses just is a valve that opens while the car is cranking and first starts. This is a common issue as well. Always has been on the SCs. The factory fix was to smash the valve in a vice 5mm. LOL, I am serious.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
My car with the weather drop is the same. I also run very cold to begin with so it really takes alot of time for the idle to come down.
1996 Silverton 312 sedan bridge
Old 11-23-2006, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

78/79 930s had an obnoxiously high cold idle anyway. (after restarting warm after sitting a short while also). using a AAR from an SC helps a lot. we used to do that at the dealer in the 70s. winter to summer temps can require some minor mixture and idle speed tweeks. have you tried just turning down the idle speed when it's hot and checking the CO?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Alot of good ideas so far, thanks for the info.....keep it coming.

As I just got the car a few months ago, I have not tried tuning it or changing anything with the CIS or fuel system as it ran fine until the weather got cold.

I checked iginition timing and it seems ok, but it appears I need to do a little removing of components now to check them all, which I was hoping to avoid.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: