Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
frt mount oil cooler versus late Carrera style

Looking for info on whether a later Carrera style oil cooler will be able to handle the heat of a 79 930 turbo running a DE track event.
I am looking to upgrade the front trombone cooler and am in a quandry as to which way is the best to go.
---I would like to keep the front bumper and spoiler assembly and wanted to know if the late style Carrera cooler with fan would be adequate to handle track days?
---and what temperatures did you guys see during an event in the summerwith this set up?
Going to a front mounted cooler would require a new bumper and paint, and I wanted to see if the benefits outweighed the problems with this change.

thanks,
Fred
Old 11-21-2006, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Definitely lose the trombone cooler. The carrera oil cooler with fan will make a difference, but you need a way to get extra air to the cooler. Remember that 84-89 Carreras had the small cut out under the front bumper to allow this. If you want to keep your original bumper, would you consider making your own cut-out?
In stock form it is not that visible, being under the bumper.
Peugeot moped

Last edited by William930t; 11-21-2006 at 02:08 PM..
Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If you track the car, you'll probably end up up needing more cooling than the Carrera oil cooler. I have that, a front valence cooler and I'm about to add another Carrera cooler in the driver side wheel well.

Making more power will create more heat as well.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure how hot the turbos run at the track. On my '75 Carrera race car w/3.4 and about 300 h.p. I run 2 fender mounted coolers. A Carrera cooler in the passenger side and a Mocal in the drivers side. I modified the turn signal housings (retaining the turn lights) for better air flow and enclosed the front of the coolers to capture the air (very important) At Buttonwillow with 102 air temp and my wife and I running back to back sessions the engine temp got up to 215-220 when I was running flat out. Cooled to 200-210 when I backed off. I'm not a big fan of front mounted oil coolers as usually that's the first thing you loose when going agricultural.
'75 Carrera RS look w/3.4
'79 930/DP935
Old 11-22-2006, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: