Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

With my fairly modified 930 I found the biggest limiting factor was the suspension. I went with the RSR coilover kit and it made a world of difference. I haven't run across much that I haven't been able to keep up with and pass at DE events (obviously individual drivers are the greatest variable in any such equation). Really is great fun to lap 996s in an 18 year old car.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm with Brian and Sweeny as well. Finding an instructor who has a 930 or had one will make a big difference. Once you learn from them and others, because it's not a one day deal, you'll get better with seat time.

I'm running an old school suspension with bigger torsion bars, adj sway bars, HD Bilsteins, etc and I'm able to keep up with most eveyone except the new high HP and Cup cars. But, I've been doing this for ten years now.

I didn't look at your mods, but don't forget safety (H&N, harness, suit, etc...!

Now if I could just keep up with Brian Keith Smith....
Old 11-25-2006, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cstreit
Can you describe your suspension?
Don at Air Cooled Classics did the work on my suspension and here is what I have. (I'm very stupid when it comes to this, so I hope that the following list means something to you.)

Front torsion bars 22 mm gun drilled
Rear torsion bars 31 mm gun drilled
Adjustable rear springs plates.
Front adjustable sway bar 22 mm with mount hardware.
Front sway bar adjustable Drop links.
Rear adjustable sway bar 22 mm.
Front Camber ball set up.
Bump steer tie rod kit.
Rear spring plate bushings Poly-Graphic set.
Rear Trailing arm bushings Poly-Graphic set.
Front A-arm bushings Poly-Graphic set.

Quote:
Originally posted by A930Rocket
I didn't look at your mods, but don't forget safety (H&N, harness, suit, etc...!
Yes, I have been looking out for my best interests. I have a suit, roll bar, seats and 5-point harness. Also upgraded the brakes (Big Reds) and installed a fire extinguisher.

I enjoy driving this car, although I like my 996 soooo much more. It is so much faster, handles like a dream, stops when I ask it to, and just feels safer. The 930 is ďdartyĒ and I just donít feel comfortable at speed. Also, lack of anti-lock brakes makes being to hot at the end of a straight a difficult situation to handle. Being too aggressive on them means a slide, and often there isnít enough time to get back off the brakes and then back on them in time to avoid being off the track.

I know that the 996 is making me feel, look and act like a better driver than what I am, and the realization of that fact is the driving force behind my quest to master the 930.
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel

Last edited by squerly; 11-26-2006 at 05:06 AM..
Old 11-25-2006, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
That sounds like a good selection of parts. The dartiness may be alignment, but it might also be you being used to power steering as well.

More seat time and maybe working with your favorite shop to tweak the alignment to your comfort.
Partner - ProRaceSupply Motorsports Commerce
Owner of MotoDelta Motorsports and AlconKits.com

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 11-25-2006, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Your set up sounds similar to mine.

I haven't driven a newer car, so I can't say what's it's like, but once you get used to the car and it's capabilities, you will be able to push it further each time. I really like feeling every bump and input transmitted through the steering wheel and seat. You can tell when the car is reaching it's limits and when to correct/back off.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Last week, I drove a '07 BMW M6, '07 Mercedes CLK 6.3 AMG, '07 Audi RS4, and '07 Jaguar XJR at the track (among others). I left Willow Springs pretty bummed that my 930 was "slow" compared to the blazingly fast lap times I could turn in those $70K plus modern cars.

Back to reality, apples to apples you can't compare the 930 to anything modern. Different era completely (as others have pointed out).

Sure, you can dump a ton of $$ into your 930 and try to compete with new technology, or you can sit back and enjoy the skill that you are bringing to the table to turn "slower" lap times than the other guys.

In 1945, the P-51 Mustang was one of the world's best fighters. It was raw, noisy, bumpy, and had all manual controls - but it took talent and was damn fun to fly.

In 1975, when the F-16 first was flying, it could run circles (well, wider circles) around the P-51. Electric controls, smooth jet engine, faster, higher, much "easier" to fly at the limit.

In my eyes, the 930 is a P-51 and the M3 (and any other post-1990 sports coupe) is an F-16.

Director of Automotive Insights at Kelley Blue Book / Forbes automotive contributor
Old 11-25-2006, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Is your 996 Gemballa based on a 996 or 996tt?
Absolutely gorgeous car.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Emission
Back to reality, apples to apples you can't compare the 930 to anything modern. Different era completely (as others have pointed out).

Sure, you can dump a ton of $$ into your 930 and try to compete with new technology, or you can sit back and enjoy the skill that you are bringing to the table to turn "slower" lap times than the other guys.
I''m afraid you are right. Regardless of my skill level, I'll probably always be faster in my 996. But I'm sure that spending next year in the 930 will make me a better driver regardless of which car I wind up in later. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Is your 996 Gemballa based on a 996 or 996tt?
Absolutely gorgeous car.
Itís a 2002 Carrera 4 TT. The body work had already been done when I bought it, otherwise I would have gone with a GT2 wing. I was getting ready to change it out when I went to Barber a year of so ago. Somebody snapped a pic of me coming down the front straight and all of a sudden the wing looked OK! Great track wing but a little over the top for riding up to the local grocery store.
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 11-26-2006, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Quote:
In my eyes, the 930 is a P-51 and the M3 (and any other post-1990 sports coupe) is an F-16.
I guess I look at this mostly from a track or competition environment. I can't agree with emission's quote more, but I'll add something, apples to apples, as in stock to stock, the 930 pales in comparison to modern performance cars. Put some upgrades into an old 930 and you see a vast performance improvement. It gives bang for the buck, and starts to eat SOME of the modern competition. Though once the modern competition upgrades it gets tough. Remember, the modern competitions investment in both base cost and upgrades will be significantly higher than the 930.

An example comes to mind. A guy in our racing circle has a 2005 M3 with a huge amount in mods, about $40K. The car is good, (would be much better in skilled hands) but my klunker 930 only cost 30% of what he has into his M3 and I remain faster. Also, the 930 talks to me, if you know what I mean.

I can think of several other examples similar to the M3, but I know if those cars were my only option I'd be sitting on the sidelines with my cash in the bank. I work too hard to have a $60K $80 or $100K toy.

Jim
Old 11-26-2006, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim2
I work too hard to have a $60K $80 or $100K toy.

Jim
Haha, I hear ya... But I work too hard NOT to...
2006 - F250 turbo diesel

Last edited by squerly; 11-26-2006 at 04:24 PM..
Old 11-26-2006, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: