Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel problem

My 85 930 has been idle for 6 months. Upon attempting to start it (several 20 second cranks), it ran very roughly, coughing and smoking. After 30 seconds of this unusual behavior, I cut it off to look for anything obvious. What I discovered was raw gas dripping from a pin hole in the muffler!

The car has 68,000 miles, and has run flawlessly until its recent period of storage. I would appreciate the board's thoughts on where to begin looking.

Dixon
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Mine seems to do that when it is really cold out. they are made to run rich when cold, or at least until it is warm.. I'm not certain how rich though.

just to give you an idea, I disconnected my second fuel pump while the car was running but I had just started it (I did that by simply removing the relay in the front) and the car started running smooth! If I reconnect the relay, the fuel pump comes back on, and the car runs rough again.

That to me indicates a WUR problem, it sends too much gas when cold. (or would that be the other way around as the pressure is higher with the second pump on and the fuel distributor pin is not moving as freely?)
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)

Last edited by mark '87 930; 11-29-2006 at 06:11 AM..
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If the car is driveable, I'd take it out for a decent run and see if that doesn't clean it out before doing a bunch of trouble shooting.

It'd be a good idea to carry a decent fire extinguisher in case a fuel line fails.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: