Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

To Rebuild or swap?

I'm torn, I inherited an all original 1979 930 with 250,000 kilometers from my grandfather that has an engine which hasn't been touched (except for a turbo rebuild in 2000). It still seems to run strong (compression test in the very near future) but I'm sure if i add anymore horsepower this tired old engine wont handle.

What would u guys do?

Rebuild but worry about losing value when i do sell down the road? Or not for the fact that it has so many miles already?

or

Just build a new engine and swap (spend a lot more money and maybe not be able to do as many upgrades)
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The first thing is to measure oil consumption, is it less than 1 quart per 800 miles? That would be acceptable. It would also be a good idea to have a compression & leakdown test done while the engine is warmed up. Share the results with this board, we can then give you further advice.
Peugeot moped
Old 11-29-2006, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

before my grandfather passed he said it was burning and leaking about a quart a week (it was his daily driver for summers ) but when i got it down here i put a quart of high mileage oil and not only does it not leak I havent had to put oil in it for about 1000 miles now.

Is it bad that when i do a warm start, and put my hand beside the exhaust, small chunks of carbon come out? they look like metal shavings but when i rub them between my fingers they disolve
Old 11-29-2006, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Only way to tell what the condition of the engine is in internally is to do a compression test on all cylinders, followed by a leakdown on any suspect ones to ascertain where the leakage is coming from.

That'll take the guessing game out of it.

Good luck (& sorry for your loss).
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thank you gentlemen. both of you are sticking to the compression and leak down, and thats been on my mind since i got the car. just trying to get the best deal on the tools so I can DIY. I will be sure to post the results and appreciate any further assistance

P.S. If anyone has either a good compression and/or Leak down tester I am interested and will be buying within the next week. thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just make sure you run the tests on a warm engine, so everything has had a chance to warm up and expand. If done cold, you might get funky/inconsistent results. BTDT.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 11-29-2006, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

also not sure how familar you are with porsche but you do know to check the oil warm and the car idling?? Just want to make sure

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4

*Reproduction 914-6 oil tank source* 2623647426
Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

yeah I have been an avid reader of the pelican forum for the past month so i have picked up alot of the tricks of this trade. Just wish i would of reminded my uncle about the oil check before he shipped it, definately spent a few hours cleaning up that mess.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: