Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

Poll: Which pad?
Poll Options
Which pad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which Brake Pad????

This winter I'll be doing the brakes on my '87 930. This is a street only car, so OEM pads would probably be fine. But there are tons to choose from. Currently my brakes don't squeak, but I get way too much brake dust. Also, the steering wheel shakes a little so I'm going to have the rotors turned.

I don't want them to squeak at all, and I would like to keep the dust to a minimum.

So my question to you guys is which pad should I go with?

Mintex?
Jurid?
Textar?
Metal-Master?
Ferodo?

Oh, I should also add I don't want something that's going to eat up my rotors in a couple years.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good thread - I've only used OEM pads and I agree, WAY TOO MUCH DUST

Subscribing
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-06-2006, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Pagid yellow.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by A930Rocket
Pagid yellow.
I know there are different Pagid pads. But from what I was reading (and they weren't specific) was Pagid would eat rotors up cause the pads are too hard & corse. If I'm wrong so be it, but I'd like to know a little more before buying a set. Like the amount of brake dust, noise, and longevity for street use. Do they wear out before the rotor does?

The poll doesn't seem to be going so well. Maybe I should start it in the 911 tech forum????
Old 12-06-2006, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK, I voted for the Metal-Masters only because I am not familiar with the others. I have used Hawk Blues but the squeal is just too much for me to bear. The HB were good track pads but didnít work for all around usage. Also, it is my understanding from talking to the manufactuar that the HB are hell on rotors and you must get the dust off of your rims quickly or it will damage them.
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel

Last edited by squerly; 12-07-2006 at 03:46 AM..
Old 12-06-2006, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Me like track days

"I know there are different Pagid pads. But from what I was reading (and they weren't specific) was Pagid would eat rotors up cause the pads are too hard & corse. If I'm wrong so be it, but I'd like to know a little more before buying a set. Like the amount of brake dust, noise, and longevity for street use."

Hey, I'll chime in. Over 4 years, my customers reported this back to me:

Yellows - can squeal loudly on the street. What I run on street/track. TOUGH pads, withstands hard, brutal use.

Oranges - Almost never make noise, light grey dust and not too much. Great streetable/track pad.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by squerly
OK, I voted for the Metal-Masters only because I am not familiar with the others....snip....
Please tell me about your experience with these pads. Did they squeak? Did they leave lots of brake dust? Anything would be helpful. Did they last long (mileage/years)?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig911
Oranges - Almost never make noise, light grey dust and not too much. Great streetable/track pad.
Ok, these are a possibility. I've heard Pagid makes a great pad. I just want to get ones that won't kill the rotors.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by wcc
Please tell me about your experience with these pads. Did they squeak? Did they leave lots of brake dust? Anything would be helpful. Did they last long (mileage/years)?
I've use them on both my 930 as well as my 996 and I find them to be a happy-medium brake that produces moderate dust. They do not squeak or squeal ever (on either car) and I don't change them when I go to the track. Moderate fade during track use on the 930, more noticeable on the 996... but that's probably because of the extra 600 lbs. (braided lines on both cars.)

Both of my cars get ample track and street miles, so I don't know what their life expectancy would be in a normal day-to-day driving environment. My guess is they would last quite a while. But I'm always changing my pads long before they are worn out cuz that's just the kind of guy I am. New Pads = Warm-N-fuzzy
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I use and like Porterfields, not on the list but worth mentioning.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 12-07-2006, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Me like track days

Pagid Oranges are an 'organic' pad - they don't kill rotors one bit.

They might be overkill for street only use, but if you do take it to the track......you should...... ;-) .....then you are set to go.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Oranges - Almost never make noise, light grey dust and not too much. Great streetable/track pad. [/B]
Wow - Pagid orange does not make noise?

Everyone that I know (including me) who used it has to have a separate set of pads for the street because they squeak constantly until they heat up.

I tried Pagid Blue on a Boxster for the street (& track) with decent luck.

Now I have PFC's on mine.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Me like track days

You also must know that the Pagid Blues and Oranges are virtually identical in compound.......and characteristics.......and may be interchanged.

I personally used Pagid oranges for 6 years without a peep, on 3 separate braking systems on two Porsches. And feedback over 4 years has shown them to be pretty quiet. As is everything mechanical/subjective, YMMV.....
Old 12-07-2006, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Subscribing
Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I'm going to have to disagree w/ Craig

point 1
Pagid Blue and Orange are not the same compound, Orange used to be a good choice for a track pad that could be used on the street if you don't mind the noise, blue are an excellent street pad if you don't mind a lot of black dust.

point 2
Pagid Orange is notorious for 2 things cold squeel and pad deposition, they are an older track oriented pad, they need very carefull bedding

point 3(not craigs)
Yellow are an excellent modern choice for a track pad, like the older Orange they can be used on the street if you can live w/ some squeel. I wouldn't consider them to be a good street pad.

Good street only pads that I have used that don't squeel and have low dust, Axxis Metalmaster aka PBR Metalmaster

Textar oems don't squeel but do throw a lot of reddish dust.

also I have heard but not used Mintex Red Box and Ferodo 2500 are good low dust stret pads
Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Me like track days

I never said they are the same compound.
------------
Blues are currently a different animal than in the distant past. Word directly from Pagid is this:

The RS4-2's (blues) are VERY CLOSE to the RS4-4 (oranges); don't mistake them for Sport pads (dark blue). They are the Rally compound (light blue) & totally interchangeable with the RS4-4. Not all are made in both compounds. Europe still uses RS4-2 extensively & more predominantly than the RS4-4.

In America, we have mostly superceded RS4-2 to RS4-4 except in instances like these that more of the RS4-2's are in use & they then stop making RS4-4. They are an excellent exchange (almost perfectly even exchange in performance- & the same price) as the RS4-4 orange.
------------
Cold squeal isn't a known issue with Pagid Oranges.

Pad deposition typically happens with oranges usually in one or two cases - small brakes undergoing hard use. ie Early 911 or 911SC brakes - and sometimes 1984-1989 Carrera brakes. An old compound, lower cost than the yellows by 30+%. I do not recommend oranges for smaller brakes for experienced track use.

Yellows almost always squeal horrendously on the street.
Numerous customer feedback as well as personal experience show that dogs from miles around may hear these pads...

Cold stopping typically requires slightly harder pedal pressures
They are a metallic/ceramic pad, the oranges are an organic.
By far, my choice and what I sell the most of and use on my 930.
Higher price, longer life, & a better pure track pad than any other IMO.
You get what you pay for.

Back to his original question: Again, Pagids moght be considered overkill for street only use.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I have a new set of Mintex "Red Box" that came as spares with my car when I purchased it. I haven't had to install them yet...still have some life in the Porsche pads. I've heard good things about the Ferodos...

I can probably get another 5K to 10K out of the pads that are on there, and then I'll put the Mintex on.

FWIW, I've heard good things about Ferodos...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-07-2006, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Verburg
Good street only pads that I have used that don't squeel and have low dust, Axxis Metalmaster aka PBR Metalmaster
You no likey the Metalmasters for track?
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Me like track days

I'll chime in here:
If you are past being a beginner.....there are many better and safer choices.
No surprise, they are not a track pad -
Old 12-07-2006, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Pagid oranges will leave a lot of dust on your wheels, will not last long, clog the holes in the rotors and are rough on the rotors from what I've experienced.

The yellows seem to last longer, leave less dust and are more rotor friendly. They do squeak on the street though.

"Virtually identical" is pretty close to the "same" in my book.

Quote:
I never said they are the same compound.
Quote:
You also must know that the Pagid Blues and Oranges are virtually identical in compound .......and characteristics.......and may be interchanged.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 12-07-2006 at 06:30 PM..
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: