Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo to Muffler....has someone monkeyed with my nuts?

OK, I am changing my setup over the winter.
I pulled the rear bumper yesterday, and I went to loosen the nuts from the turbo to the muffler.
83, Euro turbo.
Front 2 nuts (facing me) are 17mm, and I got them loose easily.
Rear 2 nuts are 15mm?? Was that normal? Top one, no problem....bottom inside one....problem. I am using a standard socket with a swivel adapter.....looks like I need some sort of low profile socket to get a decent grip on that nut, or I will have to cut off the factory exhaust pipes from the can......
Seeing as I am a newbie, and I want to change the turbo, wastegate, muffler and IC......I am hoping that I have not bitten off more than I can chew here.....

Any advice? I have searched extensively.
I am trying to not even stress about the BOV removal and minor plumbing changes I have to make when installing the new IC.....

BTW
parts going on.....
Tial 46mm waste gate with straight pipe and .9 bar spring
KKK K27 7200 turbo
B&B or GHL SS muffler.....(not sure, no markings, used, definitely for turbo, got it for a song....)
Blownsix half bay IC kit (I have been assured fitment issues are dealt with), new production run, made last week.......

I did get the K27 adapter from Imagine Auto, so I think I will be in decent shape if I can get the damn muffler off of the car.....
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That adapter is a major pain to hook up. make sure you install it before you install the turbo on the car, also get several of the o rings I cut 3 of them before I got it to go together correctly, and where did the pieces go but inside the turbo so I had to remove it to dump them back out. It's a VERY tight fit has to be to not leak. not an issue with construction quality or fitment just very close tolerances.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 12-11-2006 at 09:59 AM..
Old 12-11-2006, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a good setup...Keep us posted during the install and test drive
Old 12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Use lots of penetrant like PB Blaster. You may need to use a wrench. Maybe a shorty wrench with the open end. You just have to try different tools to see what works best. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
cycling has-been

if you go with B&B, you are going to find that the stock muffler will not work without a lot of "massaging" with a 3 lb sledge to clear the drip tank. oh, and all 4 nuts were the same (900.910.097.02)

Last edited by bkreigsr; 12-12-2006 at 05:52 AM..
Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks to All.....

I have purchased some new weaponry to get at that nut.....it is definitely a 15mm though....so someone has monkeyed with my nuts then.......
Anyway, I will cut the damn thing off if I have to.....the turbo is being replaced anyway......
As for the can....I have no idea what it is.....but it has 2 indentations in it (they look factory as opposed to 'massaged') already to clear the turbo / drip tank....we shall see.
I don't know when I will have the chance to get at it....perhaps a little tonight.
Received my K27 adapter last night....just waiting on the turbo and WG to arrive now.

Thanks all, I will post a photo when done!

Mark
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Ahhh, the joys of having a V-Band interface on turbo & muffler
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I don't know why but I didn't find it that hard to do. afterwards I heated up the housing and removed the studs from my old K26 anyway & replaced them with A2 stainless studding.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-13-2006, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

upon further inspection......

somebody at some time replaced the inside nuts with smaller ones, and the one I am having so much trouble with is rounded off enough that I can't get a grip on it with anything.
SO, the whole mess will come off in 1 piece, and I will deal with it once it is out.
I also can't get the inside nut for the oil feed line to turbo off.....WTF kind of tool fits in there? I am just going to undo the fitting in the engine compartment and remove that in one piece as well......no trouble really.
At least the car is up on axle stands now, so I can access things a little better......

Thanks guys.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I doubt that you will be able to do what you say. I had great difficulty removing the turbo not due to the exhaust.

If you get stuck (which I think you will) saw through the nut & stud with a hacksaw blade and when you have the muffler off you can heat up the turbo's cast iron housing with a torch and remove the stud like I did. Don't heat the stud. I used a spring loaded speed wrench to undo it (I don't seem to have much luck with stud extractors).

As for the oil line down to the turbo I used a crowfoot wrench which you fit to a 3/8" socket set to hold the fitting and then a spanner to open the nut.

Crow

Speed

Good luck & don't give up.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Last edited by NathanUK; 12-13-2006 at 07:30 AM..
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I will look again tonight......

but I am VERY doubtful that I can get a blade anywhere near the inside lower bolt from the turbo to the muffler.
I understand about the v-band, but loosening that seems futile if I can't rotate the housing at all to get any clearance because the oil feed line to the turbo is still on. I think loosening that oil line from just inside the engine compartment (fitting is right near the IC pipe). Removing the oil drain line from the turbo, and removing the 4 nuts/bolts that hold the inlet side of the turbo to the car, loosening the flex pipe, should free the turbo, so when I remove the muffler strap, I don't see why the muffler and turbo will not drop as a single unit?
Am I missing something here?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I'm pretty sure Merv is referring to the V band on his car which is an aftermarket product on his muffler, not your stock turbocharger. Don't mess with your turbocharger. Hence the with his post.

As I said before, removing the turbocharger for me was a complete nightmare, removing the muffler from it was easy. I think you will find it impossible to remove as one unit.
Even removing that top oil line with the bend onto the short upstand oil pipe to the turbo was fairly easy with those crowfoot wrenchs (I already had a set).

Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

10-4 Nathan, thanks.....

I didn't have a chance to get into it last night, but I will try it tonight........
Appreciate the help!!

Mark
Old 12-14-2006, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: