Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
"Ok, I just got off the phone with Imaginauto. They said that the Tial wastegate prevent boost leakage WAY better then the factory wastegate. Due to the internal plastic parts in the factory wastegate giving out faster. Now I think I'm leaning towards the Tial."

That statement is not apples to apples. If the stock waste gate is freshly rebuilt and the TiAL is brand new they would most likely function the same.

I have a rebuilt factory wastegate on my engine. It works perfectly with no boost creep. It pegs the same number every time like clockwork. If someone gave me a TiAL I would use it but I certainly would not label the factory unit faulty without first spending the $50 to rebuild it.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
I have a rebuilt factory wastegate on my engine. It works perfectly with no boost creep. It pegs the same number every time like clockwork. If someone gave me a TiAL I would use it but I certainly would not label the factory unit faulty without first spending the $50 to rebuild it.
Very good point. Man, this is hard. They convinced me with the whole factory WG bleeding boost problem. But I really haven't had an issue either now that you mention it. But I figured since it's going to be accessible that I might as well rebuild it or switch to a Tial.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Me like track days

Clarification:

B&B + stock perfectly functioning factory wastegate at .8 bar registered *exactly* .8 bar from 3,200 to redline on the Porsche factory test gauge - one marked in tiny graduations and about 1 foot in diameter. Quite the gauge! Impressively level and consistent readings throughout the range.

Now, the same B&B headers + Tial at .8 bar registered .90+.
Back-to-back comparisions. Acording to Brian Leask (adjustable WUR guy), this is pretty common.

Probably a function of wastegate pipe size in relation to how the WG senses boost - my guess. Just be aware tha this is a distinct possibility. Being off by .10 to .15 bar can make a difference.

Make certain that your factory WG is in fine shape. If it is, why waste money on a Tial. Mine was perfectly fine, but I bought a Tial anyway...

If I recall correctly, vital parts of the factory WG are impossible to rebuild due to NLA parts - or some such issue.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Personally, I tend to look at it from the longevity factor. So the Tial will cost a few hundred more than rebuilding the stock wg. Well the Tial is built with far more superior materials and metals which will pretty much resist ALL corrosion and, theoretically, last longer than the car itself. Personally, it's worth it to me to pay more up front just for the fact that I'd likely never have to mess with the wastegate again. That being said, Tial wastegates are probably about the best quality ones you can get on the market. There are plenty of other manufacturers out there, such as Turbonetics (delta gates are CRAP; avoid 'em like the plague!), Greddy, HKS, Turbosmart......and the list goes on. Some of them make some decent stuff, though Tial's are so inexpensive anyways that you really can't do any better going with another brand.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Me like track days

This will help illustrate the boost differences:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=317339
Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

well should any of you need any wg I have several new 46 tial here just sitting

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4

*Reproduction 914-6 oil tank source* 2623647426
Old 12-14-2006, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Ok, well I've decided to rebuild the factory WG. Now, if for some reason I can't source the parts because of NLA, then I'll probably switch to a Tial. This seems to be resolved for me at the moment.

mb911 - I'll keep you in mind in case it works out that I need a Tial.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

So what size wastegate do we use? Looks like 46 is the one referenced... and this costs $470 ~ $550?
Mods include: Kokeln IC, GHL Headers, Hooligan muffler, Modified K27 7200, BL WUR, LC-1 & XD-16, Bilstein Sports (4), TRG sway bars, Oversize torsion bars, Strut brace
Old 12-14-2006, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
The 46mm is the direct replacement. The standard 46 has full fins and there's a special 46 for the 930 that has shorter fins to give more clearance for removing the valve cover. The special one is another couple hundred dollars and I don't know if anyone actually buys them.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 125shifter
The 46mm is the direct replacement. The standard 46 has full fins and there's a special 46 for the 930 that has shorter fins to give more clearance for removing the valve cover. The special one is another couple hundred dollars and I don't know if anyone actually buys them.
The price is the same when I buy them from tial I never new they charged more in retail

Old 12-14-2006, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Sure, Ben. You can't charge us Porsche Enthusiasts the same as Honda Enthusiasts. First, the part would be junk and second you'd loose the chance to make big profits I once heard of some vendor making SS mufflers for a reasonable price. You could call it a Ferrari part and add 50% margins yet.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/LukeSportsman
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lukesportsman
Sure, Ben. You can't charge us Porsche Enthusiasts the same as Honda Enthusiasts. First, the part would be junk and second you'd loose the chance to make big profits I once heard of some vendor making SS mufflers for a reasonable price. You could call it a Ferrari part and add 50% margins yet.
I look at these thing more of a service then anything . It was kind of my pet project and because of that I bought allot of WG and BOV from tial. Last time I got athe smaller version (930)quoted from tial it was something like 425. I would have to go back and look

Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mb911
The price is the same when I buy them from tial I never new they charged more in retail
Well that sucks, I was told by a (usually) well respected dealer that there was a price difference and that they never sold the ones with the shorter fins.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I bought my 46mm wastegate from a ricer tuner company. No fitment issues. It is mounted on B&B header system. The "fitment" issue is mute because it is so frickin' easy to remove the wastegate and swing it out of the way when adjusting the exhaust valves. The intakes should be so easy!
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I experienced significantly higher boost levels with the TiAL and B&B header combination that before. My 1B spring set up in the TiAL was netting close to 1.3B. I actually moved down to a .8B spring and was still reaching 1.1B.

Right now I am running a .5B spring with a EBC (which I am still trying to get familiar with).
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 930LDR
I experienced significantly higher boost levels with the TiAL and B&B header combination that before. My 1B spring set up in the TiAL was netting close to 1.3B. I actually moved down to a .8B spring and was still reaching 1.1B.

Right now I am running a .5B spring with a EBC (which I am still trying to get familiar with).
It sounds like to me that your WG isn't functioning right. That isn't even close to your spring. You may want to look into why it isn't boosting at the spring rate. Maybe your spring is sticking? Maybe it needs to be replaced? It should be consistent with the spring. I'd be careful not to over boost. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Me like track days

Again, the Tial combined with the B&B usually results in significantly higher boost that the stock wastegate. FWII, this is with "the smaller WG pipe" - from what I've heard.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
i was told the Tial is lighter!... anyhow, as some of you may recall I had to spend the big bucks and get a 46 MM Tial because my factory WG is seized onto my factory headers no longer on the car!

LOTS OF CASH.... I was in a bind as well, I needed one right away, so I had to bend over and then come home with the new shiny TIAL WG!

it ironically measured lower than stock boost, but I added a boost controller afterwords and adjusted as I wanted...

If I could have gotten my hands on stock WG, I would have bought that instead and saved my loot for an IC!
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

My understanding (From Stephen) is that GHL or B&B headers flow so much better than stock headers, there's a lot more flow going to the WG. I used a .8 spring in my Tial (and GHL's) to get 1 bar.

Quote:
Originally posted by wcc
It sounds like to me that your WG isn't functioning right. That isn't even close to your spring. You may want to look into why it isn't boosting at the spring rate. Maybe your spring is sticking? Maybe it needs to be replaced? It should be consistent with the spring. I'd be careful not to over boost. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Me like track days

Yet if you take a set of B&Bs + stock WG, the boost is usually right on with a given spring rate.

B&Bs + Tial = A higher actual vs. numbered spring rate...and usually more than just a bit.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: