Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Upgraded TPC supercharger and stalls

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my TPC supercharger to the latest version (changed to a smaller pulley/ belt, change the injector, and re-wired everything) as well as had a new SPEC clutch and lightened flywheel installed.

Runs like a champ but every now and then when I need to stop for a red light or stop sign, it stalls as I engage the clutch and come to a stop.

I know the kinetic energy is a lot less with this flywheel vs. stock so do I need to take it to a tuning shop to change my idle position or is there something they can do to the computer to alleviate this problem?

BTW - I have a black 1998 911 Cabriolet (all Gemballa upgrades)

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to onefstm Send a message via Yahoo to onefstm
Did you upgrade to their Unichip? Are you running an intercooler? What are your impressions of the upgrade? I recently puchased a car with the non-intercooled setup and was wondering about the upgrade to the Unichip. I was told by TPC that it is a 25hp increase in peak hp with improvements in driveability and also better protection against detonation. I'm anxious to hear your opinion.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Stunning car! Congrats!

I'd say you need to get your Motronics idle programming looked into. If I were you, I'd contact Todd Knighton of Protomotive. He's a guru when it comes to re-coding the BOSCH Motronics software, especially for aftermarket forced induction applications.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Your problem is most likely the lightened flywheel.
The engine will decellerate faster and may stall before the idle can recover. This can be cured by adding a throttle bipass that will allow exta air around the trottle when it is chopped. If that is not an option you may simply increase the idle a bit and see how it reacts.

Beautiful car by the way.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Thanks for the options

Sorry for the late reply,

I went from the older style pulley which was a bit larger than the existing one I had on the supercharger. I haven't put the intercooler in yet. I wanted to get this setup dialed in before I took the next step.

The TPC upgrade included a new injector, smaller pulley, new belt and required moving and re-wiring the "brains" to the new location of piggy backing the stock CPU under the seat.

I did this upgrade at the same time I had the clutch/flywheel installed so I saw a huge difference once I was able to break the clutch in (which took forever).

I agree in that the flywheel is the reason it is not recovering in time. I will ask my mechanic about adding a throttle bipass. I am not sure what that would entail.

Thanks again for the help and the nice comments. Here's another pic:

Chris
Old 12-16-2006, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Chris,

Are you running 5 or 6 psi? Do you notice most of the difference with driveability or do feel a substantial power increase?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This car is a '98?
There should be some provision in the electronic tuning to allow the idle to "hang" a bit longer during chop throttle events. A vacuum operated bipass valve most likely is used for that function. If so it needs to see the signal a little differently or for a bit longer.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Did you get the Uni-Q box with your SC?

You might want to join onefstm and others on the Rennlist board for a couple of threads on the TPC system.

Like others who have a pre Uni-Q system, I have the dreaded CEL (check engine light) problem. OBDII codes show random misfires. A total re-do of the secondary ignition system at TPC's suggestion did not make the problem go away. I've been trying to find someone who has a setup similar to mine who does have the Uni-T box to see if that really clears up the problem as I'm not to keen to spend another $2500 incl. labor just to make the problem go away (oh yeah and pick up another 25HP).

Any help?

Dick
1988 Grand Prix White 930 Cab (sellers remorse)

Last edited by 97c4s; 01-14-2007 at 07:34 AM..
Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

Hate to mention the obvious........but I assumed you called and spoke with TPC about this?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

On several occasions. Their response is to buy the upgrade. I'm trying to find out if the *&^^^%$ thing works!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey Dick,

When I bought the car a couple years ago, it already had the sc installed. I had some misfire issues as well and I took it to a shop for them to change out all the plugs and clean all connections and injectors. After that, it ran pretty good but the old belt was not wearing properly and slipping. I didn't get the power I should have.

I am not sure if I have the "Uni-T box" or not. Describe it and I will check.

I also upgraded to the latest sc kit at the same time I upgraded my clutch/flywheel so combine all that and I noticed a huge difference in power. Just now have this stalling problem every now and then. The new SPEC clutch supports up to 700HP so it's a lot more difficult to drive. Very short release point and grabs extremely hard.

Oh yeah, I shredded 2 belts to get to the right pulley alignment that would handle all the load. Really helps to have a good guy as your main mechanic!

So being a sc novice, have you had the error codes from the time of the sc instalation or did they increase over time? I ask because with the sc installed, the plugs work twice as hard and in essence get dirty and go bad twice as fast. you could have someone check them like I did.

Hope any of this helps.

onefstm - sorry, not really sure about the boost level.

Chris
cozment@innercon.com
Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Oz,

Based on your description of the installation (unit now piggybacking ECU, new injector, just purchased), I am 99% sure that you have the Uni-T or Unichip. Since I just ordered the same setup, I would say that you went from the original 3.0 inch (4.5 lb) pulley to the 2.8 inch (6 lb) pulley.

Dick,

I would imagine that will pick up significant power by switching to the uni-T and the smaller pulley. You should be able to go a 6or 7 psi with the intercooler.

Have you tried actually taking the bulb out of the check engine light on the back of the instrument gauge? I understand that you want to rid yourself of the actual issue...but as they say "out of sight, out of mind"

Also, have you called TPC lately to confirm the uni-chip price? $2,500 seems $1,000 high to me.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

That is correct and Tom gave me a break on the upgrade price and overnighted it to me as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wink

Chris

THanks for the reply. I'm forwarding all the comments to my wrench who is excellent by the way.

You asked if the CEL's increased with time...nope -- had them each time after a reset in just a couple of miles. Didn't matter whether I drove conservatively or hammered it (the usual mode).

Also had a slight alignment problem with the belts but was resolved with a little grinding. Did have a horrible belt squeal for a while as well but that was resolved with some magic lubricant of some sort.

I can't really describe what the Uni-Q looks like, but when did you buy the upgrade and all. The Uni-Q wasn' available until some time in mid summer I believe.

Here' a pic of the installation on my car.

Last edited by 97c4s; 01-09-2007 at 07:58 AM..
Old 01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
97C4S I notice your car is water to air intercooled. Would you happen to have any pictures of the water heat exchangers which you could post for us to see?

There is another thread in the turbo forum called Intercooler 101 where they are currently discussing the topic.

Jim
Old 01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Jim,

Here are four pics for you to check out. These show the water exchanger before and after installation. You will notice that the water exhchanger is mounted in front of the oil cooler. The plumbing runs across the front of the car then down the drivers side to the engine compartment.

Hope these help.

Dick

Last edited by 97c4s; 01-09-2007 at 07:55 AM..
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Dick ,

Thanks for the pictures. I always thought that the heat exchanger was mounted in the tail on the TPC kit. No wonder it takes 12 hours to install. It all makes sense now.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Not a job for the timid or faint of heart -- lot's of plumbing involved! Not something one would try at home. I sing the praises of really good Pcar wrenches.

Last edited by 97c4s; 01-09-2007 at 11:09 AM..
Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Mine had the same problem with stalling coming to a stop. It was fixed through street tuning. You can do it with either the split sec box or the Unichip.

I have the Unichip (custom tuned to my setup) My kit and overall car setup is differnt than that of TPC. So to get the Unichip for 500-800 and spend another 500-800 on custom personalized tuning was cheaper than the "one size fits all" TPC unit.

Even with the unichip I get teh CEL. I just pulled the bulb out.

Last edited by rsquad911; 01-15-2007 at 10:41 AM..
Old 01-15-2007, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

What's the expected HP of a TPC supercharger on a 95 c4 cab?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: