Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Simple Bolt-ons

Hey guys, got a couple maybe dumb questions. If you put an aftermarket exhaust on your 87 930, was thinking about the Fabspeed single outlet (for lack of any better ideas) it is my understanding that the cat is removed from the system. I noticed that there is a small metal line that runs from the cat to a sensor under the engine(not sure what it is) My question is, what do you do with this line if the cat is removed, or is it attached back to the muffler? Second, can you guys hear your wastgate opening? what indications do you get with a properly functioning unit (wondering if it might be stuck open)? And finally, I am planning on bolting on the muffler, k27, and considering headers with heat, but not looking forward to removing the exhaust studs on the exchangers, how much of an improvement would they make on an 87 with these mods. don't plan to track the car just want a little more kick in the pants, and maybe get the turbo spooling a little quicker.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Let me begin by saying I'm NOT an expert. I'm still learning about how these turbo cars work. But this is my take on your questions.

Yes, when you replace the muffler you remove the CAT. That metal line isn't reattached to the muffler. You can just leave that open to the air. I believe that is emissions stuff.

Yes, you can hear your wastegate opening. It's not constant, but once in a while I can hear it. If you can hear yours constantly then yours may be stuck open. Also, if you aren't getting a consistent boost then you may have to address your wastegate. It should be consistent.

Read the link below and hopefully somewhere in there answers your last question. There is some good info in this thread, but more specific to what you're asking starts on page two.

Is this a K27 Turbocharger?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
I have a Fabspeed dual muffler. I just capped that line off.

I don't hear my wastegate opening, rather I hear the exhaust being dumped as a result of the wastegate open. If yours was stuck closed, you would overboost and your engine would shut fuel flow (at 1.3 bar, I think). If your was stuck open, you wouldn't be able to build boost.

Director of Automotive Insights at Kelley Blue Book / Forbes automotive contributor
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Re: Simple Bolt-ons

I'm thinking the muffler and cat are one piece. That's not the o2 sensor your looking at is it? If yes, most people leave it unpluged. You should be able to hear the wstegate open under acceleration/boost. If in doubt, remove the boost line and apply a little air (what ever bar spring you are using) to open the valve up. You should hear the valve open and close.

New headers, turbo (k27-7200 or better) and muffler will help A LOT, but I would also get a larger intercooler to cool down any heat you have generated with the new turbo, especially if you go with 1 bar sping. You could easily get 325-340 rwhp.

Quote:
Originally posted by e170drvr
Hey guys, got a couple maybe dumb questions. If you put an aftermarket exhaust on your 87 930, was thinking about the Fabspeed single outlet (for lack of any better ideas) it is my understanding that the cat is removed from the system. I noticed that there is a small metal line that runs from the cat to a sensor under the engine(not sure what it is) My question is, what do you do with this line if the cat is removed, or is it attached back to the muffler? Second, can you guys hear your wastgate opening? what indications do you get with a properly functioning unit (wondering if it might be stuck open)? And finally, I am planning on bolting on the muffler, k27, and considering headers with heat, but not looking forward to removing the exhaust studs on the exchangers, how much of an improvement would they make on an 87 with these mods. don't plan to track the car just want a little more kick in the pants, and maybe get the turbo spooling a little quicker.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the reply guys. I don't know what that line is. the car is stock 87. cat sits on top of the muffler, and it is a small diameter pipe that is welded to the cat. I don't think it is the o2 sensor, I thought that was on the other side of the car near the wastegate. Forgot to mention, the only mod the car had when I bought it was an Andial intercooler. Do you guys know if this IC would be adequate, or should I upgrade.

Last edited by e170drvr; 12-19-2006 at 05:52 PM..
Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
That should be your air injection... it is for emissions and goes to the smog pump.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 12-19-2006, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mark '87 930
That should be your air injection... it is for emissions and goes to the smog pump.
+1

Director of Automotive Insights at Kelley Blue Book / Forbes automotive contributor
Old 12-19-2006, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
River Rat

Quote:
Originally posted by e170drvr
Thanks for the reply guys. I don't know what that line is. the car is stock 87. cat sits on top of the muffler, and it is a small diameter pipe that is welded to the cat. I don't think it is the o2 sensor, I thought that was on the other side of the car near the wastegate. Forgot to mention, the only mod the car had when I bought it was an Andial intercooler. Do you guys know if this IC would be adequate, or should I upgrade.
The first mod I did to my 86 was the Andial IC ... intercoolers are cheap insurance for any turbo motor. Next set of mods included k27-7200, GHL single-out muffler and 1 bar spring ... wow, lots of power now. Last set of mods included B&B headers w/heat, fuel head mod, Tial w/.9 bar ... biggest improvement wrt seat of the pants dyno. IMO the headers were a huge improvement in performance. I also have an EBC in order to select two different boost settings, .9 for the track and 1.0 for the street.

Long story short, do the full exhaust, change out the turbo, add 1.0 bar spring and VERIFY your AFR numbers are ~12.2 on full boost before unleashing the monster.

Regards, Dave
1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: