Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HKS EBC Questions / Concerns

I just finished installing my HKS EBC and .5B spring in my 930. What I am trying to understand is when you set the Boost Warning Level on the EBC controller, does that actually set the max boost and the volume knobs simply adjust actual boost between stock sping and that maximum? Or does the Boost Warning Level serve some other purposes?

I have found that with a .5 B spring in my TiAL, I barely have the EBC volume set past zero and am seeing 1B of boost!

Is there something wierd here?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

With such a low spring rate, that's normal that the boost adjustment value will be relatively low and not too far from zero. The warning mode does limit boost in a sense. Basically, if you hit the warning mode, the display flashes and will make a beeping sound, then it will default to wastegate spring pressure. I guess it is similar in that regard to the 944 Turbo's stock boost control setup. Just make sure to set the warning level a little bit above your max desired boost pressure, such as ~.6 or .65 psi if your max desired is 5psi, etc. This does not technically limit your max boost however. It is still possible that if certain things occur, theoretically speaking, that you could see a momentary boost spike well over your warning level. The EBC cannot eliminate this, it can only default to WG spring pressure to prevent it from happening again. Also, sorry if I'm stating the obvious but, make sure the EBC is set to "external" mode (as in external WG). Yep, I made that mistake before! Talk about quick boost response (AKA 100% closed WG!)
Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No worries about the obvious... I actually had it switched the wrong way when I first set it up and then struggled to realize that it wouldn't accept the change in settings unless the ignition was on.

So really all the control unit (display unit) really is used for, other than a digital readout, is to set that warning level where it defaults to the stock spring.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 930LDR

So really all the control unit (display unit) really is used for, other than a digital readout, is to set that warning level where it defaults to the stock spring.
That's pretty much all the display is for AFAIK.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: