Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
I guess it is possible that it may be original. Porsche ran a special wish program in 1981 that offered slope noses with bumper mounted square headlights and smooth fenders. Bruce Anderson's Porsche perf handbook talks about these on page 247. It also says that Porsche only offered these in metal, and that most of the conversions were done in glass.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

From what I can tell from reading and listening to other owners there were no official factory slants untill '87. Before then they were all built by different shops for the special wishes program. I would imagine that there are many different variations of all of these cars. None of them would have the 505 or 506 code because they left the factory already designated by Porsche and were modified by an after market company. The only real way to tell would be to get the build sheet or contact the after market company for info. I was under the impression that the P in DP was for plastic and that there mods were mostly plastic and not steel. If I had the choice to buy one of these cars and could not verify its origin, I would pass unless the seller came down to a less lofty level. It should be up to the seller to PROVE the authenticity of his car if he wants top dollar for it.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
According to Peter Morgan's book, there was only one Special Wishes Slantnose built for Model Year 1981. It jumped up into the high teens for Model Year 1982. All Special Wishes cars were modified by the Werk-I facility. The early slantnoses were ventless on the front wings and had the healdlights mounted in the front bumper(?). I saw one of these models in Massachusetts when I was living out there, but can't remember if the splitter on the front valance was that pronounced as in the photos here. It definitely not as looking in the front as the DP's.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-01-2007, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by raj911
[B]Hi sorry to highjack the thread, but I came across this car for sale in Singapore and was thinking of taking the plunge. It is a 1981 or 1982, 930 slopenose, according to the dealer, it is a factory slopenose, one of a handful made in the early 80's.

I don't know much about the early 930 slopes, can anyone tell me if this is the real deal ?

Thanks

Prithvi
Hi Prithvi, here is some info that I found on the web. There are some tips on how to identify the "real deal" toward the end of the page.

Good luck.

Jim
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 01-01-2007, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I could be wrong, but it does not look like a stock slant, the lights are not in the fenders and the bumper looks to be after market.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-01-2007, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Below is what is described as the first Flatnose...owned by Pelican "Rose" from Ireland.

"Info Update as follows; now have in my possession letter from Porsche AG confirming date of manufacture as June 1980. Went straight from factory to "special wishes" and was registered in October 1980 as a turbo S 330 hp. I know your'e all going to tell me the Red Book and others say the first was made in July 1981 but somehow when the information was being gathered this car had slipped away. It has some 935 guages riginal led boost and speedo rated to 340 Klm. "

" You must remember that when this car was specially commissioned back in 1980 the " Sonderwunsch" or "Special Wishes" program was only an idea. There were no official option lists available at Werk 1. At this time Porsche were celebrating winning LeMans again and people like the original owner of this car were putting pressure on Porsche to make a road going 935 lookalike. If you had the cash they would make anything you wanted. This car cost almost a $100K back then which was the reason there were so few of them made. I really still can't fathom out how they charged so much over the the stock 930. Another thing about this particular car is that when it was first ordered it left the factory as silver in color and the owner took it back to "Special Wishes"a few years later to have it painted the current color 717-9-3 Montogosh Metallic. This was a complete stripdown job again and the pervious owner has told me that this was the only 911 ever to be officially painted this color. If you check you will see its not listed except for 924 & 944. Last year I removed the original front and rear spoiler and bolted on the current setup, I think you will agree it now looks more like a 935. When "Special Wishes" were finished with the car the placed a special porsche emblem on the dash with the code G/S/A-0/13/31. Porsche have said in their letter that decoding of this is as follows: The first and third letters were the initials of the original owner, the S for the extra modifications 330Hp. The number are an internal porsche code at special wishes. Here is a pic of the crest. Hope this fills you in a little."

The later US Flatnose cars all had round headlights installed in the pop up mechanism.

These front spoilers are said to be hand made by Porsche early on. That could be true but many, many aftermarket knock-offs were produced.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Oh wow, that is completly diffrent than what they evolved into. Like I said, I wasnt very sure about it as I dont know that much about slant nose cars. However, I have a 930 that was converted back in the 80's and I am looking to sell the whole slantnose front fenders with lights and motors. The fenders are steel and are very accurate. The lights I believe are the origonal stock lights, not the Rx-7 take offs that many people utalize in their conversion.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-02-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Before I read the post, I thought to myself, that's the car from Ireland! It's beautiful, but I think that fellow sold it.

I gotta say it looks better now, than with the stock tail and front bumper (with square headlights). Just my $.02
Old 01-02-2007, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
OMG!!!

the original bumper is exactly like the one on the car I am looking at!!

ok, now for the million dollar question. If it is one of the original few made in the early 80's how rare would an original one like that be worth?? how rare are they??

woah!! quite excited about going back and seeing if I can get my hands on it

hmmm .... would Porsche be able to provide me with a certification of its authenticity??

Thanks again for all your help in helping me to get to the bottom of this elusive slant nose.

Thanks

Prithvi
MB - 07 ML350
Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
930gt-40r,

Can you share pics of your light mechanism. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I will shoot some pictures as soon as I barrow my buddies camera, I am not too good with cameras and need him to throw them into my computer.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
ibanezjs

Hello this an old post but i'm interested about this "kit" too because i have the same on my 1982 930:

If you have any info

Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Hi guys,

While I own an original '88 M505 car I can tell you that does not make me an expert on pre-M505 flachbau's. However, I can tell you what is correct for an M505 car. It gets fuzzy on the earlier cars because I have been told that there was a lot of unique customization. You can just look at the variety of center consoles on legit early cars and see differences.

However, I have been led to believe and will take this as gospel until someone proves it wrong that all factory cars had the jack extensions welded to the boxed rockers so that the factory jack points could still be used.

When you look at Rose's car from Ireland you can see the jack plug as well as a bumper that looks much more like a 935 and something that the factory might produce.

So no plug in the rocker and it's not factory.....At least that's the first discriminator for me....

Gratuitous pics

'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Damn ya'll are making me wish I never ditched the steel slantnose...those are some BEAUTIFUL cars.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilodawg View Post
Hi guys,

While I own an original '88 M505 car I can tell you that does not make me an expert on pre-M505 flachbau's. However, I can tell you what is correct for an M505 car. It gets fuzzy on the earlier cars because I have been told that there was a lot of unique customization. You can just look at the variety of center consoles on legit early cars and see differences.

However, I have been led to believe and will take this as gospel until someone proves it wrong that all factory cars had the jack extensions welded to the boxed rockers so that the factory jack points could still be used.

When you look at Rose's car from Ireland you can see the jack plug as well as a bumper that looks much more like a 935 and something that the factory might produce.

So no plug in the rocker and it's not factory.....At least that's the first discriminator for me....
I agree with kilodawg that this slant appears to be a kit add-on. Not that's a bad thing, necessarily. The other thing is the gravel shields on the rear flares. Factory never did that. The black rubber molding on the front valance does not make it look factory either.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

There's a lot of speculation with these slantnose cars. I've heard that the factory cut the stock front fenders and TIG welded the slat area just like the aftermarket companies; so the fenders would more or less be about the same, depending, of coarse, on the TIG welder. I've also heard that the factory did the same thing with the rear fenders flares on the regular 930's, that's why they flare out unevenly on some cars. So there's a lot of TIG welding going on with these cars and how one can tell the difference is the big question. Some say the factory stamped the front fenders with a special number and that's how you can tell it is factory. Then, again, that might just be a stamp for a regular bug eye fender (anyone with a real slant know where this special number is?).
Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
zcoker,

Its late and I'm tired so I may be missing some of your points. First of all, we can rule out the need to look for special numbers on the fenders of the '87 thru '89 cars since the M505 on the option list covers the original US cars.

I really don't believe that the slant fenders with the slats are a TIG welded version of the original fender. I've seen factory pics of them in the raw and i just don't believe that was the case again at least not for the M505 cars. I'll look into it more.

As far as welding on the rear flares goes that stopped relatively early on when Porsche realized that they would be making more 930's than originally envisioned. I think it stopped after '79 but I can look up the exact year tomorrow.
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

My point is just that, following a lot of speculation with no actual facts on these slant nose cars, especially the earlier cars, which I have. One hears this, that and then on it goes. I'm no expert, either. I know there are valid points on the later cars whereat one can show originality by the option number. And I'm sure that no one would want to strip away their oem paint/undercoating on their factory slope fenders to see if their slat sections are TIG welded. Still, I've heard this to be the case and, if so, it would make it harder to identify factory slat fenders on the conversions.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rudy View Post
Before then they were all built by different shops for the special wishes program.
- I would imagine that there are many different variations of all of these cars. None of them would have the 505 or 506 code because they left the factory already designated by Porsche and were modified by an after market company.
- The only real way to tell would be to get the build sheet or contact the after market company for info.
- I was under the impression that the P in DP was for plastic and that there mods were mostly plastic and not steel.

That's not an original car... the kit was offered during the 80s and 90s by an outfit located in Germany. They advertised regularly in AutoMotor Und Sport.

Additionally, although there are a number of variation on the theme. Porsche never used "differnt shops" to do thier slantnose cars or other items for thier Special Wishes (Sonderwush I believe.. my German is very rusty these days) Program. It was all in house.

The earlier speal wishes progam cars do not have the 505 &506 code becuase the option code did not exist before 87. Not becuase the car left the factor for work elsewhere at an aftermarket company.. they did not.

Your impression of the P in DP is correct. DP is short for Designs in Plastic. They specialized in fiberglass conversions and mock-up. The car in quetion is clearly not a DP.

Between DP and Kremer, they can be creditied with the orignal design of the slantnose look as I believe that DP did the actual design for Kremer.. thus the 935 was born. Porsche adapted the use for thier race cars... and customers began to want the look for their street cars. So the slantnose was born through the special wishes dept which also began as a spin-off from the customer division of the racing dept.

zcoker: Speculation is correct.. that's all it is. The factory did not cut the stock front fenders and TIG welded the slat area. This was done by the aftermarket companies.. again not the factory.

I've owned several slantnosed cars.. factory Wishworks car, aftermarket conversion, Kremer non-Turbo conversion, and my present car which is an AJR conversion that used factory fenders as offered by them in the 80's. I've also had the occasion to inspect a number of other slantnoses for various reasons.
So I'd venture to say that what you've heard is untrue!

- On the factory cars.. the fenders are stamped just as any other production fender from Porsche. There is no seam or other evidence of a weld udernieth

- Aftermarket conversions w/steel fenders have a seam where the flat louvered part was "tig" welded in. You can see this from undernieght, and usually it doesn't matter how much undercoating is there.. you can see and feel it.

- Of course the Kremer and DP cars are glass..

Another point that someone made.. the front bumper trim.
Although I'm sure that it's purposeful, That is something that Porsche, as a company, would probably not let leave the shop. Not trying to be funny, but
Wishworks or not.. Porsche has a certain standard, call it arrogance if you want.. with regard to what they produce with thier name on it.. Remember, this was the 80s.. ti was a different time than the mass production we see now.
I've been to the factory, the museum, Sonderwush etc... and that just isn't thier work.. It's just not clean enough.

On the other hand, I think both the red and the Black 930 are very cool as I like odd cars.. The black car looks like it might have some nice mods as well. It ain't a factory slant or Wishworks car but it's unique. If you can get the dollar right then do it.

kilodawg: Your car always looks good man.. it's just sexy that color fits the slantnose widebody!

P-
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 11-16-2008 at 06:44 AM..
Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks "onboost" I really need to take some better pictures because it looks better in person than these. Too washed out I guess.

I also just happened to get this week a June of '88 issue of Excellence where Bruce Anderson does a pretty good job discussing the origin of the slant nose cars as well as the range of conversion kits out there and just a bit on the factort process. It does show some pictures of the fenders in bare metal and they definitely look stamped to my untrained eye. However, they also show an early shot of a 930 rear flare being welded on. Pretty obvious difference.

I was wondering if anyone thought that there might be some interest in starting a registry on slant nose cars. Both factory and not just so we could get a better handle on what's out there and the history of things. I contacted PCA national and they weren't too interested but if I could show that there was a general desire from owners it's possible they would reconsider. The 930S site has been down for a while so I believe that resource as mediocre as it was in no longer available anymore either.
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: