Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Additionally, although there are a number of variation on the theme. Porsche never used "differnt shops" to do thier slantnose cars or other items for thier Special Wishes (Sonderwush I believe.. my German is very rusty these days) Program. It was all in house.
... but they did use dealerships.

The US '86 Slant that was in my shop a few weeks back was such a car. Full documentation as it was purchased at Barrett-Jackson. A photo album of the full "dealer option" was included. All of the authentic factory Porsche parts were installed on a 930 at the dealership. I went over that car with a fine toothed comb and was amaized at the level of detail and perfection. The only hint of the history was the missing 505 code. The window sticker was included as well as Porsche factory documentation. Very impressive auto.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
... but they did use dealerships.

The US '86 Slant that was in my shop a few weeks back was such a car. Full documentation as it was purchased at Barrett-Jackson. A photo album of the full "dealer option" was included. All of the authentic factory Porsche parts were installed on a 930 at the dealership. I went over that car with a fine toothed comb and was amaized at the level of detail and perfection. The only hint of the history was the missing 505 code. The window sticker was included as well as Porsche factory documentation. Very impressive auto.
RarlyL8; You are correct.. they did use dealerships, however not to produce the parts,.. as you stated; "All of the authentic factory Porsche parts were installed on a 930 at the dealership." And not all dealerships were allowed to do this.. I think it had something to do with size of the sevice dept/number of units moved etc..

Alan Johnson Porsche/ Alan Johnson racing was one of these dealerships and my current slant was coverted there by the original owner of the car. If you look back in some of the old Panorama magazines, you'll see ads for AJR offering these and other factory performance parts etc..

kilodawg: Yes, rear flares on Turbos were welding on in the early day 76 through early 79 I believe. That was normal.. as demand grew for the 930 they just tooled-up and started stamping the full 1/4.

The Porche factory as well has PCNA has never really had or shown any interest in supporting these cars. In the early days of the special wishes cars they were viewed as one-offs as each rich customer had their own particualar desires so no two were really alike. Thus they bothered to keep no records.. it was onesy twosy work to them.

Later, and more or less because of US demand, and the burgeoning aftermarket.. they figured why not gather all these custom "special wishes" pieces together and offer them as an optional package through our dealer network. We can charge out the wazoo.. and that's what they did.

The factory slantnose package 505/506 was a $28,000 option!!

It makes sense to me given several factors:
- they obviously had the tooling and capability to do more than just one offs,
- the US economy was strong for the most part as was the exotic car market
- wings, scoops and vents, and steam roller rubber were in vouge
- and the old body 911/930 was on it's way out as evidenced by the 89 C4
- Lets move these leftovers boys!

I think it would be cool to have a slantnose registry that included both factory or aftermarket.

There were some highly regarded aftermarket conversion out there. Blackburn & Daly cars were really nice conversions. They only did there conversions on new cars... if you wanted yours done by them it had to be practically new.. under 10k miles or something. They even did an SC/Carrera non widebody version.

Golden Coachwerkes made the steel inserts with the buckets and louvers that used the mazda motors. The nice thing about the Mazda motors was price... when you needed a relacement part it was readily available and reasonable. Some of those conversions were done very well also depending on who performed the work. I used a set of thier inserts on my 77 930. Seams were finished with lead. It was a beauty. We even set-up the oil cooler in the right rear vent as the facotry 930S. I used factory parts as well... ouch!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 11-16-2008 at 09:01 AM..
Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

That's a good point: using the factory stuff to do the conversions. My car is a conversion and they used the Mazda motors which used the 3 drilled holes in the rear of the buckets. The interesting thing here is that my buckets also have the side holes in them for the oem rod that runs through the trunk on a factory job - just the holes. On the slat sections, underneath, I cannot feel the TIG welding either but when I cleaned away the paint and undercoating real good, there was a perfect line, almost robotic in effect. No aftermarket shop can weld that perfect with a TIG gun. These are just observations, by the way.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
ibanezjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjs View Post
Hello this an old post but i'm interested about this "kit" too because i have the same on my 1982 930:

Hello

I'm coming back with some news about my car

find on a forum Lamborghini :shock:

"the first 1981 "production" special wishes flachbau"

Page 247:

Here

Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Linkie no workie.

Quote:

I'm coming back with some news about my car.
find on a forum Lamborghini

"the first 1981 "production" special wishes flachbau
Old 12-15-2008, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post

kilodawg: Yes, rear flares on Turbos were welding on in the early day 76 through early 79 I believe. That was normal.. as demand grew for the 930 they just tooled-up and started stamping the full 1/4.
The rear flares on the 930 were welded up until late 1985 then on the 1986 models they were finally stamped as one piece.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

WOw, you know it took me awhile to warm up to the flatnose body style.. i love the traditional fronts on the cars so much! but wow these truly are some amazing cars! now i really want a 930s, especially if i could get my hands on one of the earlier w/o pop up headlights, those fenders and hood shape are a work of art! props to the black car with the 935 style round lights! AMAZING!! i would love to take if off your hands!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

I've loved the slantnose cars since the days of the 935s. When they started to become available in "street form" I knew I had to have one. I'm currently on the 4th one and have no regrets.

- 77 930 Steel slant Conversion (kept the original fenders to convert back)
- 80 Euro Targa, Factory DP conversion (bought damaged & repaired using front spoiler/bumper from AIR which looked very similar to the car that started this thread)
- 78 930 AJR slant conversion using fact fenders etc.. (current)
- 87 fact 930s
RGruppe #180
Old 12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
DP935 member

Same here. I have loved the slant nose cars too since watching the 935's race and get goose bumps. I have a factory 87 M505 930S and one of the first 79 DP935's that was built and had a couple others over the last 21 years. I never got tired of the look and I don't think I will.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Hey guys I've been wondering about trying to start a registry of sorts for the slant nose cars. All of them not just the factory M505 version sold in the US directly by Porsche. So maybe this thread is a good place to judge interest.

Since I got my '88 last year I have tried casually to find out as much info as I could on these cars. While the story on the '87 to '89 M505 cars is relatively complete there are still some holes in it from the little I know and when you dig back earlier and also factor in all the versions not built by Porsche things gets muddy pretty quickly.

So I was thinking that a registry might be a good way to identify fellow owners in order that we could pool out combined knowledge and experience and share our interest and questions. It might also help sort the facts from the myths associated with these special cars.

I'm heavily involved with the PCA in my region and even contacted National to see if we could set up a registry thru them. The response I got back was less than positive. There concern was that they would prefer to strengthen the 930 registry rather than branching out. However, if we could show enough interest they might reconsider or at a minimum perhaps I could work to set up something independant from them. So if any of you are up for it and have any comments or suggestions please drop me an Email at: flachbau930@cfl.rr.com and I'll see what we can do.

Thanks!
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycarguy 935 View Post
The rear flares on the 930 were welded up until late 1985 then on the 1986 models they were finally stamped as one piece.
This is what I've heard for the early slantnose cars where many think their front slant fenders are stamped when in fact they are cut and welded from the factory, just like the rear flares. Why would Porsche stamp the front fenders in those years and then weld the rears?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
DP935 member

kilodawg I think a factory 930S registry is a great idea.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
This is what I've heard for the early slantnose cars where many think their front slant fenders are stamped when in fact they are cut and welded from the factory, just like the rear flares. Why would Porsche stamp the front fenders in those years and then weld the rears?

Here we go again! If you welded FRONT slant nose fenders then they are aftermarket!! Factory slantnose fenders were stamped steel!

The issue regarding rear flares being welded instead of stamped was do to Porsche not expecting to have the demand for the 930 that they did in the earlier years. Thus during the early period it was more cost effective from a manufacturing/tooling effort to weld the flare to the car rather than stamp a panel then weld to the tub.. simple manufacturing strategy.

Front fenders in an automotive manufacturing environment are easy to stamp and use as a bolt on item.
RGruppe #180
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
I have a pre factory 505 option car that was done by AJ racing . I have checked it carefully and it is a stamped fender, without vents no less!!. However, I still find it improbable that from the first one on they were all stamped. Especially in light of, that Kremer took on the 935 race car, post Moby Dick, slant nose bodies with Kevlar material bodywork compliments of D P Motorsports. Porsche began the special wishes program many years after Moby Dicks were last built. I would think they welded up some fenders, from patterns, until the demand became apparent for slant nose front fenders both for factory special wishes cars and for their authorized dealer conversions parts needs became established before they tooled up to stamp them. After all they did this ( they welded up many thousands of rear 1/4s) before tooling up to stamp one peice in 1985. However logic, like beauty does not always follow function. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-18-2008 at 03:08 PM..
Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

How many companies made aftermarket stamped steel repros? I have an aftermarket kit on my car that has the vents as well (with Chevy S-10 sealed beam rectangle lenses) they are great repros though.

P.S I am looking to get stock turbo fenders for it if anyone is interested buying/trading my slant nose fenders.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

I don't think anyone made aftermarket stamped steel slantnose fenders.. that's a pretty big undertaking for setting up the tooling etc.. and would require a huge run of fenders to justify the cost of set-up. Then of course you'd need to get all those fenders sold to recoup your tooling/production cost.

In Steel:
Golden Coachworks in Illinois was the largest supplier of steel slant inserts. The inserts allowed you to cut the tops of the fenders off and weld the louvered or non-louvered flat steel insert into the fender. They came complete with headlight bucket, relays, wiring, and Mazda motors for $1400. You or your body shop install and finish, or for $2300 you could send them your fenders and they would convert and send back to you ready to paint. They also offered the slimline slant conversion on an SC without Turbo flares.
Their parts were very good quality. I used a set of thier inserts on a 77 Turbo I had.. as a matter of fact, the car looked a lot like yours 930gt-40r. Is that Meteor Grey?

Blackburn & Daly did only steel slantnose conversions on both Turbo and SC bodied cars as well. However, they only did conversions on new cars or cars that had under 15 or 20k miles on them. In other words, no crash repairs or restorations. Just new car conversions. They did very high quality work and I believe they're parst were supplied by Golden.

Alan Johnson Racing was an Authorized Porsche dealer that was a one shop stop. They had an excellet bodyshop, and a race shop. They're slantnose conversions were done in steel using factory stamped steel fenders. The other parts offered were all factory as well. The only deviation offered in thier conversion was the choice of factory headlight motors and assembly or the use of Mazda motors. From what I understand this was offered for two reasons:
- because some owners wanted sqaure headlights as opposed to round

- it alowed for a dramatic cost drop over using the factory motor or motors, mechanisims
and other assorted hardware. It also dropped the labor cost for install considerably

* note that some factory cars had either a single headlight lifting motor mounted in the center just under the front closing panel, and others may have a motor mounted inside the tub just forward of the fuse box on the drivers side, and directly across from that on the passenger side.

Troutman did a few really nice cars in steel. Even did one that used 928 headlights back in 86

These were the only suppliers of steel slant nose conversion that I know of.. there have been several others mentioned over the years, but usually it's been found that they're conversion parts were supplied by Golden.

Fiberglass conversions:

They were popular and there were lots of them.. some better than others.

DP and Kremer both offered conversions and I think DP actually offered the conversion parts. Some of their kits could be ordered with functioning pop-up headlights in the fenders but I believe most had lights in the bumper.

I had a euro Targa slant nose that had been converted by Kremer. It was non-turbo, had no louvers in the fenders, and the headlights were sqaure, similar to the car that stated this thread. I bought the car damaged in the front. The airdam which held the lights was beyond repair, so to get it to the poad quickly we used one from AIR that required fitment of
Chevy S-10 single lights per side. It turned out nice but was definetly odd looking.

AIR was a big producer of fiberglass slant components and conversions as were..
Better Boddies
Folger
Mitcom
ZeeMax
Rinspeed
RGruppe #180

Last edited by onboost; 12-19-2008 at 05:08 AM..
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

One more "Manufacturer" to add as I bought the steel car that he used as the buck for his Fiberglass slant nose kits. Craig Jackson ( Scottsdale ) auctioned it at the Barrett Jackson auction when he was still a entrepreneur 1989 or so. It was black and the license plate was "U want 1" and was pictured with his conversion parts in many hot rod type magazines. A fun thing he installed was a brake light cut off switch so he could get off freeways on speed runs, less easily dectected, when being pursued.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-19-2008 at 06:46 AM..
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
A fun thing he installed was a brake light cut off switch so he could get off freeways on speed runs, less easily dectected, when being pursued.
Oh, those are handy.. I've had that setup on a number of cars I've had. Even a couple of the old British steeds!

I've used a 3 position switch at times.. center is normal, down kills the rear lights including brakes, and the up position (really fun) would turn the brake lights on! That one was especially handy for tail-gaters. Oh the look on thier faces when they started panic braking!

Ok, something else added to the project list.
RGruppe #180
Old 12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
A fun thing he installed was a brake light cut off switch so he could get off freeways on speed runs, less easily detected, when being pursued.
That is soo funny- I did the same thing on my C4 that I used to have- i guess great minds think alike haha

Onboost- so your saying that maybe my fenders are not replicas but the square headlights were a choice on the conversions? I'm glad you know about these things because I don't. Whoever did mine did a great job and the quality of parts is pretty amazing for a little "conversion company". I just appreciate the lines of the stock fenders more than the slant nose. Actually that is not true- IF my car were Guards red- then I would never want to get the normal fenders, but the Grey (I think it is Meteor Grey) does not compliment the lines as well as a bright chromatic color would. A red slant nose is a thing to behold in my opinion, kinda reminds me of Ferraris of yesteryear. But I am not at even thinking about changing the color of the car so I guess it would be easier to change the front fenders and just keep the boxed rockers/ side vents.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-19-2008, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
That is soo funny- I did the same thing on my C4 that I used to have- i guess great minds think alike haha

Onboost- so your saying that maybe my fenders are not replicas but the square headlights were a choice on the conversions? -

IF my car were Guards red- then I would never want to get the normal fenders, but the Grey (I think it is Meteor Grey) does not compliment the lines as well as a bright chromatic color would. A red slant nose is a thing to behold in my opinion, kinda reminds me of Ferraris of yesteryear. But I am not at even thinking about changing the color of the car so I guess it would be easier to change the front fenders and just keep the boxed rockers/ side vents.
No.. not saying that your fenders are not replicas.. they could be you need to find out if they are stamped one piece units or if they have a seam in them on the bottom side. It's easy to find as it goes all the way around the upper part of the fender.
- Only saying that AJR offered a choice of factory motor which uses round headlight only, or Mazda motors where you had a choice of round or square headlight in factory factory stamped fender

- aftermarket offered a choice of round or square light, were Mazda motors only, in a conversion fender.
RGruppe #180
Old 12-19-2008, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: