Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

It would be nice if the owners of real factory slant cars from say 82,83 84 would take some photos of the fender underside ( maybe even whittle a line off whatever is covering the metal ) where the sectioning would have to be.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
That fender photo indicates that at some time the fenders were stamped as slant fenders then the vents were added. The fenders on my car by AJ Racing must have been ordered at that time of development..... So it started stock fenders cut to slant, some with vents added, then stamped slant fenders, some with vents added, then fenders stamped with vents. That seems to be the way it happened according to the previous post on this thread. Now it is just a matter of getting SN#s to pinpoint when the changes occurred.
Agreed.. that was the take-away from the excerpt of the article I previously posted.

Welded, stamped or whatever the fenders were not sent outside of Porsche to be fabricated as one has suggested.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I think it was around 1982 the customer had the option of flat or vented but the subsequent years it was only vented. Maybe, at the time of your car's enhancements, Tony, the customer opted for the flat. The important thing to remember with the AJ-Racing slantnose option is the complete Porsche parts list included the front fenders and were fully modified ready to bolt on. Whether they were stamped and cut-and-welded at the factory, it would have been very easy to see how they were manufactured in their raw form.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-25-2008, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilodawg View Post
Put the Egg Nog down....

zcoker,

This whole fender thing has me a bit confused. Can you explain to me what you mean by custom welded fenders verses stamped and then factor this picture from the article I posted yesterday into that description.

I want to be sure I get your point in regards to what I was thinking.

Thanks!
I don't know, in researching these SN cars, everyone claimed that the only way to tell a factory SN from an aftermarket SN (amongst other things) is that the factory cars had stamped fenders and the aftermarket cars had welded fenders. I think the whole "stamped" thing could be the slats only. Those are stamped, no two ways about it, all years. My researched showed that a bare metal slant fender from the factory was a cut stock fender and then the face plate for the slats was welded in, same with the buckets. So I mentioned it a few times to some people and shook some trees - the SN purest insist that no welding took place on these cars. Personally, I'd rather have a hand crafted machine, with all that pride and human precision as Porsche so intended. A picture is just a picture but a work of art is, well, a gift to the future.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Personally, based on the previously posted article, and information uncovered by others, the issue between hand fabricated and stamped has been resovled. It's clear that the fenders were obviously formed by both methods. Welded and hand formed on earlier cars and stamped for later cars.. Question now seems to be when they cut-over.

Again, based on the article and the comment by Ulbrich in 87.. I would think that the cutover time for moving to stamped fenders would fall somewhere between 85 & 86.
Keeping in mind that they were selling Turbos for European consumption only in any flavor or style you wanted from 80 to 86.

With the US re-introduction of the 930 scheduled for 87, it's only reasonable that they had tooled up for specific production variences at least two years prior to production.. possibly even 3 years out. Don't forget, although we love our dear cars.. it was business for them and as such there were certain financial, and production guidlines that Porsche had to adhere to, not to mention those of a regualtory nature. You can rest assured, that the slant nose along with the regular bodied Turbo had to meet new US safety standards of the time. This alone would factor in to them moving from a welded fender to a stamped steel unit. Every fender would thus be the same with no varience.. simple industry production standard. In essence, a documented repeatable process.

As far as the slats in the tops of the fenders were concerend. I really didn't want to comment on that as the article and several others stated them as being hand formed or welded. Personally, I think that's a little squewed in that I've seen louvers made before.. and they're punched on a machine.
Usually done on a flat sheet of metal, you can then take that metal and form it into whatever you want. I would think it difficult to "punch" a louver after a fender is formed.. unless as it was alluded to, maybe a pre punched section was welded in. (and I'm speaking of the hand formed welded fenders only). With the stamped fenders I'd be willing to bet they were punch as flat metal and sent through to be stamped into fenders.
RGruppe #180

Last edited by onboost; 12-25-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Old 12-25-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)
DP935 member

Do we know what year this picture is from? I know the article is from 1987 but is this maybe a Porsche archive picture that let the magazine use?

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 12-25-2008, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycarguy 935 View Post

Do we know what year this picture is from? I know the article is from 1987 but is this maybe a Porsche archive picture that let the magazine use?
That's no modern factory. Looks like a basement with furnace ducts. Probably an early photo. Also looks like a R/H design based on the gas cap location.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)
DP935 member

I am thinking it is the Sonderwunschen shop in the early days. Maybe around 1981-1982 before the vents were used on top of the fenders.

I also think that "gas cap location" is actually a circle around a dent to be fixed. You can see the dent the way the light hits it.

What do you guys think?

Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Yeah...I know that the gas cap sits further back....up about 10 inches from the windshield but does have a contour to it as it rolls over the top part of the fender.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

1986 Slant Nose Turbo

Have been following this (and the other) Slant Nose thread with interest. I thought I would contribute that when the car pictured was ordered and built in 1986/1987 some cars were still being built without fender louvers behind the headlamps. For the ROW cars each particular modification could be included or omitted as desired by the customer. The louvers were just an additional item that could be checked on the Sonderwunsche menu. The M505 "package" was assembled for the convenience of PCNA as other groupings had been for the American market. During my several visits to the factory during this period the majority of the Flachtbau cars I observed had the louvers but not all. Each car varied somewhat (particularly with the almost limitless interior options) but commonly specified with the Flachtbau appeared to be the wheelhouse louvers, extended entrance sills, rear quarter openings/slats, center mounted oil cooler, 330bhp engine , and color matched BBS rims. All the cars had upgraded interiors and every visit revealed one or two cars with an absolutely horrendous interior/exterior color combination.
Somewhere in my files is a Sonderwunsche catalog from this period with numerous options pictured. I will be pleased to share info/images from the catalog if I can dig it out.
Additional photos of the 1986 Slant Nose can be found by Googling "porschebahn slant" (not good w/adding links).
Old 12-25-2008, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Garage
Hello again!

Yep it seems like your firsthand experience from back in the day will be quite helpful. I'm sure the guys here would love to here more info on your car. Could be the best of all examples around......
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 12-25-2008, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)
DP935 member

That sounds great bluebox. Beautiful slantnose you have there.

My first slantnose was white also. I have been living, eating, sleeping Porsche's since 1988. Would love to see more of the information you have. Thanks for posting.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

I have one of the 87 M505 factory slants.....which from what I've been able to find in terms of internal Porsche memos was supposed to be one of 42 cabriolets made for the US market that year. How do I determine what number it was in order of production....i.e. was it #6 out of 42? I am just curious to see what position it occupied in the production line that year. Does the VIN give any indication of that?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Chuck,
I don't believe any of the slants have sequential serial numbers, it they do, it is probably coincidence.

Bluebox,
Beautiful white slant you have there. I noticed you have the original exhaust on your car and have a favor to ask.......can you post some pics of the muffler and its tips? I had one of those on mine, but lost it when I relocated back to Wisconsin from the East Coast. From what I can remember, it looked like a standard turbo muffler with different exhaust pipes and tips welded on.
TIA
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Bluebox; that is a beautiful car in white.. what color interior and which steering wheel was ordered?

You are spot on in stating; "The M505 "package" was assembled for the convenience of PCNA as other groupings had been for the American market." The US had the largest demand for these cars.
Your comment about interior options bring back memories as well.. as I know of one car where the owner specified that every exposed screw in the interior be covered with matching or contrasting leather, the interior was two-toned.

In those days if you had the money to pay for it and were willing to wait, Porsche would pretty much go the distance within reason for a customer

Chuck; as Werk stated, I don't think the slant were sequentially numbered, however your info stating that your car is one of 42 slant cabs for that year is useful I would think. Total slantnose Cabrio production was supposed to be 229 total between 87-89.
RGruppe #180
Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)
DP935 member

Here is that document I was looking for. I posted on the other thread also.

Many of you have seen it but some may have not.

This was sent to a gentleman that lived I believe in South Carolina and owned a beautiful 1989 Pearl White 930S cabriolet.

Last edited by kycarguy 935; 12-26-2008 at 01:55 PM..
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)

Guess there was a lot of interest as that's the same memo that I have a copy of, "sticky pad" blank out and all! (see previous post on page 4)
RGruppe #180
Old 12-26-2008, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)
DP935 member

I use to see the document all over the internet, but haven't seen it recently.

I guess PCNA was keeping this to send out when asked. I am glad they did.

I wonder what other documents are out there on the subject.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

That's the very same document I got my figures from. Thanx for reposting even though it's been posted before. I keep looking for additional documentation on production numbers but so far....that memo is all I've found.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)

Fellas, thanks for the nice comments about my '86 Slant Nose.
Onboost, regarding the exhaust I am traveling but can post some photos of the layout after the holidays. Dave, to answer your question the car has a black full leather interior with a few Sonderwunsche options including the three spoke wheel with padded leather center/gold Porsche crest similar to the one in the car w/burgundy interior. Several console options were available, this car has the "B" console which is fashioned/inserted into the lower dash (eliminating the ash tray) and into which is mounted additional instrumentation along with the normal controls/switches.
I'll get together some photos of the interior and post in the near future.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: