Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Me like track days

Hey thanks for the love. It is a ton of fun......even after a ton of money - for the rather premature rebuild.
Luke, thanks for the edumacation ;-)
Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
OK, on liquid, is there a better option for the liquid than straight water? Anyone know the best way to make a liquid cooler more effective? I love the idea of liquid cooling for a lower boosted car because I like the look of my engine compartment without the big plate on top.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
There was a product called "water wetter" many moons ago...

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I used it here in vegas in an old audi and it didn't quite do the magic I had hoped it woul
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
It probably makes 1% difference hehehe.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Yeah, cool color though
Old 01-05-2007, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
What colour is it ?

Old 01-06-2007, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I am toying with the idea of a water/air intercooler...I don't want to replace the stock deck lid on my SC.

I currently have water injection in the engine. It seemed to work well in the 500 miles or so I had the engine together (pulled it back apart for a separate issue). No detonation at 7-8 psi boost, even at the track.

This discussion flounders a bit without quantifying what's what. When my car goes back together, the instrumentation package will include a boost gauge, cylinder head temp gauge, intake air temp gauge and AFR meter. I believe the intake air temp gauge will reveal a lot of good data...how much heat can you reject, and how efficiently can it be rejected.

Craig: nice link, BTW. I have another one somewhere; I'll post it when I locate it.

Pat
Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Craig,

All tongue and cheek. I hope it was taken as such..sometimes forget that sarcasm doesn't convey well over the keyboard.

I also contemplated the air/water thing for a turbo setup on the 72 to keep it below the decklid. I have 3 different IC setups in the garage trying for a setup I felt was ideal. Now going NA on 72 and will build the turbo in a chassis that will have a tail. I've got some ideas, Pat, if your interested let me know.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

http://www.evanscooling.com/main20.htm
Bullet Racing #22 GT3 Cup
Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Thats stuff seems good.
What it doesn't tell you though is how thermally conductive standard water & antifreeze is to compare it to.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
We used Redline water wetter instead of glycol and the corrosion was bad. I'd stick with distilled water with a little glycol antifreeze.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gtu935
TPC offers air/water intercoolers on their Supercharger kits

FIKSE Dealer
BBS Dealer
Old 01-07-2007, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

The idea behind water wetter is to lower the surface tension of the water to eliminate localized boiling in the heads. I do not think it would help in a water to air intercooler.

john
Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Some questions and my thoughts on 930 intercooler design:
(please add your questions and thoughts or tell me why mine are wrong )

Flow front to back or side to side?

Many books state that most heat transfer takes place during the first few inches of the intercooler passages. This favors the front to back. If this isn’t true, the side to side might be more efficient.
The front to back has more hot air area so there’s less restriction.
Since the front to back has more area, the air moves slower and has more time to cool.
There are some high hp 930’s out there with side to side, so what are some benefits? Has anyone done back to back comparisons?

Full bay?

Seems like a no brainer here. More cooling air surface so more efficient.

Thick or thin core?

Thin is lighter.
If most heat transfer takes place in the first few inches, then thinner should be adequate.
If you live in an area with hot and humid air, a thick core might help by giving more time for the heat transfer to take place, it might also act as a better heat sink due to the added mass.

Bare aluminum, polished , painted, or anodized.

Bare aluminum is easiest and cheapest.
Polished would reduce heat transfer between the intercooler and the surrounding areas; if the engine is hotter than the intercooler, this would be better.
Painted would insulate more and reduce heat transfer so my vote is no paint.
Anodized black would increase the heat transfer so if the intercooler is hotter than the engine bay this would be better.

Splitters and end tanks have already been discussed in this thread so I’ll leave that topic alone.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
David,

I appreciate the answer from the other thread. BUT, do you know of any formula for thickness to flow? Is there a calculation or was this just an educated gut decision as to 4.5 whopping inches? What are your efficiencies and temperature drops?

Do you feel a (front/back) short runner full bay thicker core is going to be the best choice. This would reduce pressure drop, maximize "first" inches of heat transfer, and minimize unnecessary volume. Am I following your thoughts fairly accurately?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
What colour is it ?
neon pink.
Looks high tech.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Me like track days

Corky Bell & http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm
Old 01-30-2007, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Curious, for our cars, are the side->side end tanks better than the front -> back tanks?

I notice a lot of the full bay intercoolers have front - back tanks whilst others have side - side.

Any advantage over the front - back configuration?

Less lag and/or pressure drop perhaps?

I'd say a side to side tank config would cool better since the air stays in the core longer, right?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Lukesportsman
David,

I appreciate the answer from the other thread. BUT, do you know of any formula for thickness to flow? Is there a calculation or was this just an educated gut decision as to 4.5 whopping inches? What are your efficiencies and temperature drops?

Do you feel a (front/back) short runner full bay thicker core is going to be the best choice. This would reduce pressure drop, maximize "first" inches of heat transfer, and minimize unnecessary volume. Am I following your thoughts fairly accurately?
I haven't done any calculations on the thickness. The decision was just an educated guess with a few outside recommendations.

I built my intercooler with a front to back design because I feel it's the better design. I've wired my ECU for intercooler inlet and outlet temps but I haven't installed the inlet temp sensor yet. I doubt any one person here will run through the different designs to get good efficiency data, but maybe a few of us can post the data for our intercoolers so we can come to some consensus.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: