Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Me like track days

Question Ye Olde Wheels Bearings

Is there any difference in methodology for replacing wheel bearings in a 930 vs., say my old 79SC?
Old 12-31-2006, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Same spindles, bearings, and hub bore. No difference.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I can't comment on the fronts though they do use the same parts. The rears, however, are a different story. They are a major PITA. There are inner and outer tapered bearings and seals along with a spacer that is recommended to be replaced. The races suck to get out and require special tools or if you don't have them, ingenuity. If you just try to drive them out with a hammer and drift you risk a VERY expensive trailing arm replacement. The same holds true for installing the new races. You will also need a torque wrench that goes to 325 ft/lbs and a dial indicator with mag base. The bearings are pulled together by the drive shaft inserted through them. You will have to torque the axle nut to the specified value (can't remember what it is now) and check for play with the indicator. If the play is within tolerance you torque to the next value and so on.
If you have access to a lift life will be a lot easier, if not, I would remove the trailing arms. It can be done either way but speaking from experience trying to do this while laying under the car sucks. Do some searching and you'll find some info about it but not a lot. The best thing to have is the factory workshop manual, it's arguably necessary.

1979 RoW 930
1999 BMW Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by randywebb
It is the people who have some kind of psychological problem and use the car (or some hierarchy they set up involving the cars) to try to elevate their personal sense of self-worth that irks me. I feel sorry for them of course, but they are difficult to put up with.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I've done the rears, but I had the arms off and I had to make the drifts to press the races out and the new ones back in. Like Mark said, a major PITA.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Me like track days

Thanks guys. New discs a pads are needed up front after a year of track use, so bearings are a logical thing to replace/repack.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Talking of maintenance on the bearings in front, how often should they need to be adjusted and regreased? The owners manual says every 30k miles.....but this seems excessive compared to other cars on the mass market, which hardly ever see a repacking.
I do alot of DE events, and wondered if others saw a need to readjust bearings quite often on the front, along with the need to replace the grease.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: