Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I seriously considered the PT67E for my car at one stage... it maps well to our motors and can flow some pretty serious HP. Since my car is purely street, I opted for a GT35R. Spools very nicely and flows just enough for my application
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I was going to get a 35r, but for 550-600 hp the 35 is being pushed a little hard. I want to make power with out running too much boost. Im thinking that 22- 24 pounds on the 67 will be more than enough. I dont want to be like my evo friends running 35 lbs of boost on race gas. Wyd, I have a lot of the same mods that you do, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you make with your set-up? the only thing that I dont have is twin-plug, but I do have a 3.6 crank, carrera manifold, your evo cams, and cooler air (Connecticut). Im just curious as to what I should hope for.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

500rwhp @16 psi, more if you are running efi.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

What about 20 psi? Im running Accel dfi with 72 pounders. What do you think would be the threshold for boost with 93 oct?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

600 rwhp, no problem
Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Are you running the Accel dizzy for sequential injection? What are your thoughts about DFI on the 930? I have MS for my 3.0 and I have DFI on a forced induction Mustang. I want to stay with one or the other for my turbo for my simple mind. Pros and cons for Porsche...I was thinking dual plug and distributorless, does DFI suport this? Did you find anyone to help support this application....this is where I find some fault in the midwest where I haven't found a dyno locally to support Accel.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 930gt-40r
Wyd, I have a lot of the same mods that you do, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you make with your set-up? the only thing that I dont have is twin-plug, but I do have a 3.6 crank, carrera manifold, your evo cams, and cooler air (Connecticut). Im just curious as to what I should hope for.
I have no idea as yet what RWHP I'm getting. I'm sorting out my twin plugs and a few minor plumbing issues with my new setup (i.e: new i/cooler & charge air pipe routing etc), so once I've sorted those issues out, I'm going to get a dyno reading to verify my A/F's etc. I'd be happy with ~500RWHP.

BTW, my car is my daily driver, so good streetability is important to me. I didn't want to build a big HP dyno queen lag monster Just something more civilised on the road that gets up and goes... FAST and that's what I've achieved
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Wyd-so you want it to be a full on daily driver, at 500 with what you have does not seem to be stressing it that much. I would be willing to bet that you would put out more if you got nutty with the boost. I am just dying to see what I put down on the dyno as this is strictly a weekend car for me.
Luke- I dont have any experience with the dfi setup on my car as of yet, however I helped put my buddy Jimmy K's (aka the Greek) car back together. It is a 993 twin with 2 35R's, twin plug, race cams, crank, rods, etc. He is running this car with the accel setup and swears by it. He is using the stock 964 twin plug distributer with a crank trigger as well which is I guess the only way to run the porsche twin distributer with the DFI. Both Jimmy and I use Job Spenner at Turbopeople to tune and he is absolutly sick at it.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Wyd-so you want it to be a full on daily driver, at 500 with what you have does not seem to be stressing it that much. I would be willing to bet that you would put out more if you got nutty with the boost.
Oh absolutely! I know with more boost I could get more, but as this is my daily driver, reliability is paramount, so I've limited my boost to a modest 1.1bar. The engine has been built to handle ~1.3 - 1.4bar (according to Protomotive Stage3 specs), but if I want to see long life from the motor, I'm limiting my boost to this level. The 35R's compressor should be running fairly efficiently in this range too
Old 01-28-2007, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Not to change the subject, but what would be anyones opinion on a dual-ball bearing pt-67 with a ported "s" cover and T-4 hot side? I just want some feed back as I just got it the other day brand new and paid $1200 for it. The wheels spin so easily that I a light breeze gets them going. I am pretty excited to see how it does on the car, I am hoping for 550 to the tire.
That's an excellent turbo, and it won't be laggy at all. Sounds like it's probably a Precision T67. You should see full boost below 4k rpm depending on the hotside size. You should definitely see ~550whp around ~20-24psi, though I'd tend to think closer to 20psi depending on your cams. Just FYI but a T67 with a .81 or larger hotside and the S comp. housing is good for over 700whp and safe to over 30-35+ psi. At least you'll have room for the future!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Porschefile- I am waiting to try it out. I believe that it will be a blast to drive with. The only thing that I am not looking forward to is trying to fit the thing in the car with that giant intake housing, I have heard that the S cover is a b**ch to fit with the sheet metal. I had to have the old flange removed from my B&Bs in exchange for a t-4 Burns flange. I told my friend who is doing it to try to locate the flange 1/2" lower than stock so I dont have to cut out too much of the engine tin. I hope your right about the turbo being good for 700, when I eventually get a really good set of pistons and cylinders I hope to pump her up to 30 psi. With the Mahle pistons and C-2 turbo cyls. I will have to be a little careful with it.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

With a 4" inlet on that thing you're going to have fun routing intake piping from the air filter to the compressor

My GT35R normally comes with a 4" inlet, but I had ATPTurbo CNC the thing down to as close as 3" as possible so I could route my intake back into the engine bay easily.

I didn't like the idea of bolting the air filter straight onto the compressor and leaving it so close to the road, just in case a rock bounces up and into/through the filter
Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
WydRyd
so I could route my intake back into the engine bay easily.

I didn't like the idea of bolting the air filter straight onto the compressor and leaving it so close to the road, just in case a rock bounces up and into/through the filter [/B]
Trust me, I have taken this into account. I have decided to route the filter up and over in the fender and then fabricate a plastic wheel-well to shield it from debris. It is goin to be a pain but I'm thinking it will be good for cold air and seems to have enough room. I'm trying hard to get all major work out of the way but the girlfriend is getting a little angry with the amount of time I put into it. Is this what married life is like?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette

Last edited by 930gt-40r; 01-30-2007 at 09:34 PM..
Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

LOL! Get use to it buddy! My wife's the same, but quikcly changes her tune when I tell her "Well, the sooner I get it back on the road, the sooner you won't have to drive my @ss around!"

Your solution sounds feasible... hope it works out well
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gtu935
Dump the girlfriend. Before it's too late

FIKSE Dealer
BBS Dealer
Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Lurkasaurus

My only advice must be - do it.

Quite sage, no?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by turbocarrera
My only advice must be - do it.

Quite sage, no?
Do what? Car or Girlfriend?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-31-2007, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

You can kill two birds with one stone and do the girlfriend IN the car

OK, OK, I'll shut-up now
Old 01-31-2007, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

T4 T67's will definitely break 700whp assuming you have all of the proper supporting mods (cams, headwork, aftermarket EMS, etc). Here's a Google cached link to a Supra website with tons of dynos. It's apples to oranges but, it will give you an idea what people with 3.0l i6's are doing with 67mm turbos. It looks like it's even possible to break 700whp with the smaller .68 exhaust side, though that would take a ton of boost and a fully optimized motor as that's got to produce a ton of backpressure. Anyways, Supra guys tend to see 1bar anywhere from ~3.8-4.2k on the non-ballbearing ones. For a 3.2l+ f6 and considering it's ballbearing, it will easily be 1bar below 4k rpm. Transient response should also be extremely good considering it's ball-bearing and a 67mm turbo really isn't that "big" IMO for a 3.0l+ sized motor. Much above ~72mm T4 turbo (T72) and you'd start to see quite a bit more lag (especially if it was only journal bearing) and a much higher boost threshold unless you had a larger motor like a 3.8l. I'm still soooooo tempted to go with a Precision ball bearing T71 GTQ (think they only have the GTS now). The Supra guys have found that going from a 67mm to a 71mm turbo, there is only something like a 200-400rpm increase in boost threshold and spool however the larger 71mm will make considerably more power on lower boost and pull significantly harder on the top-end. Anyways, it will be nice to see some bigger turbo 911's around here! I've been hoping more of us would catch the big turbo bug.

As far as the air filter goes, I doubt if there would ever be room to run a 3" or 4" intake pipe back into the engine bay. Honestly, at the point that you are using that large of a compressor housing, just run a 4" filter directly on the compressor housing and fabricate some kind of air filter shield to cover the bottom of the filter from debris. My Carrera was setup horribly when I first bought it as it was using a horrible little ~2" intake pipe that ran back into the engine bay. Pushing anything like 500+whp and you really need to free up that intake side with at least 3" piping or 4" if you plan to go much higher. You can get away just fine running something smaller, though you'll see increased lag and at the point you are running higher boost for over 500whp, there will also be a definite loss of power if running less than 3". A shield like this would work just fine.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

You do have to realize that we're talking air cooled 2 valve Porsche's here, and not 4 valve, high c/r watercooled honda's/supra's. The difference being that we make about 8.5 hp/lb/hr vs. they can make about 10. So, a 70# compressor can make 700hp strapped out on a Honda, but only about 595hp on a Porsche. And that's running it to it's limits where the efficiencies aren't so good. They do it at huge boost pressures on the Supra's, Honda's, Subaru's, and Evo's...

BTW, that air filter shield looks good. Might very well work, but what happens when a rock bounces up and around to the top where it's not protected?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: