Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Day one of the new project!

Got the 930 today, complete mechanical refurbishment follows..

Last edited by GaryR; 03-16-2007 at 01:18 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So what's the plan?

Is it an '89?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It is going to be my new DE car but street legal and registered so I can go for a rip if I want to.. my SC will be used mostly for Club Racing. Suspension will be rebuilt (new bearing/tie rods/and all bushings will be Poly/Deltrin) and stiffened as much as possible, rebuilt/custom valved Bilsteins, Smart Racing sways, camber bar, roll bar, 6 point harness, race seats (with more padding than my Kirkey's if possible), replace interior with RS carpets and door panels, radio delete, front oil cooler under new Iroc fiberglass bumper, Iroc FG rear bumper, new 9"front and 11" rear CCWs with 275/315 Hoosier R6's, new 5 Speed G50 custom geared for 160+/- top end, new clutch and LW flywheel. New headers and K27 (possibly a 7200) turbo...

That's the general idea to get it on the track, then bare metal respray next year if I don't get her too deep into the woods before then..
Old 01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
My car seems to be going the same direction. I guess I'll have to get a boxster for more routine driving
Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ahh. Day one. Day one is my favorite day of a new project. All things are still possible. This project will be different than all the other projects, it will go faster than the last projects, it will be easier than all the other projects. It will also come in under budget and your wife won't complain, this time, about all the time spent in the garage.

Good luck in your new project and here's to hoping that the grease under your fingernails will clean easily and you won't stain your new tennis shoes with axle grease, again.

H
Old 01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Sweeny, I hope to have it track ready by summer but my race car has 1st priority and she still needs a lot of care and has to be done by April 1st!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

one of the great unwashed

Those rubber marks from the shredded tire bits at the track will show up really well on that one!

You sure you want to DE that 930?

I'll toss some good luck change in it next time I see you at the track.

Pat
Old 01-14-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by patkeefe
Those rubber marks from the shredded tire bits at the track will show up really well on that one!

You sure you want to DE that 930?

I'll toss some good luck change in it next time I see you at the track.
Pat
Pat, they can't be much worse than on my Speed Yellow car! They come right off with the proper cleaner and some elbow grease anyway. Considering the thickness of the paint on her I could SAND the marks off and still be fine!

Here is a picture that better describes her current condition..

Last edited by GaryR; 01-14-2007 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, been chipping away at her and she is currently in the "ready to reassemble the front end" part of the project. I'm working on both ends at the same time but will hold off on the rear until the front is done this weekend (I hope)..

Here are some pics of stuff ready to go in..

This is the front axle ready for reassembly. New Elephant polybronze bushings installed. All parts media blasted and primered/painted. Shocks are revalved Bilsteins to match up with the new 24mm hollow T-Bars. Shock paint is John Deere green, pretty good match in normal light.. New ball joints and hardware.

Closeup of the 24mm bars in place, using Mobil 1 Grease throughout.

Closer look at the polybronze and revamped parts.

Front hubs, new bearings and seals ready to go.

Smart Racing anti-roll bar in place, did it without removing the tank! New tie rods and rack boots to finish it up.

Last edited by GaryR; 03-16-2007 at 01:36 PM..
Old 03-16-2007, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Gary -

Looks great! Cleaning and painting the undercarriage will show off all your nice work and parts.

Can't wait to see it on the track!

Glenn
Old 03-17-2007, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Wow. Nice project. How tough was it to install the SRP bar w/o removing the tank? I pulled the tank when I did mine. Seemed like it was easier to align the bar that way.

-Garen (87 930 CS)
Old 03-17-2007, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Garen
Wow. Nice project. How tough was it to install the SRP bar w/o removing the tank? I pulled the tank when I did mine. Seemed like it was easier to align the bar that way.
-Garen (87 930 CS)
The only scary part was hopeing the red loctite held the bolts from turning on the left side as there was no way to get a wrench on them if they did. Other than that I assembled the inner sleeve/bolts, slid it over into position with a long screwdriver taped to a bolt. Once close to the hole I fed it into it's holes from inside the wheel well and just left all bolts loose (both sides) for bearing install and alignment. Bar turns with minimal resistance, all is well! The tank removal (which is chock full of course) would have added several hours to the job and with my luck SOMETHING would have snapped..

It is SO nice assembling when all the parts are right. The Wevo Camber King went in in 5 minutes, shocks, ball joints, A-Arms.. Only thing i'm not sure of and don't see in the manual is an initial setting for A-Arm angle. I set mine angled down 10 degrees (with arm pressure pushing up to the stop) and the adjusters in the middle position. Not that it's hard to change but I just want it "rollable" as it's going to the shop for height/alignment/corner balance when i'm done. How about the rear trailing arms?

Last edited by GaryR; 03-18-2007 at 05:59 AM..
Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great. Isn't it nice working with clean parts and sitting back when you're done and looking at the new and freshly painted parts in all their glory
Old 03-18-2007, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Sure is.. and it all went together today without a hitch. Only thing left up front is dropping in the new PF97 pads and torqueing the calipers (broke my only 10mm allen socket).
Old 03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Well the project is still progressing along. I bolted on the B&B headers and started to test fit the K27 7200 this morning. Well, by a "direct bolt-on" I guess they meant that the bolt pattern on the headers is the same cause that is about IT for the "just toss it on in place of the K26" idea.. Engine tin? Yep, you have to cut it out for clearance. Thing is I wanted to be able to easily get the "snake" pipe out so I had already modified the tin (read that as cut an area out). The pipe itself may hay to be shortened, haven't gotten that far yet. The intercooler inlet pipe has to be cut and a transitional hose (2" silicone in my case) is used to connect the K27 to the IC. The steel turbo brace is way off but after cutting it in half/changing the angles/rewelding it fits great. I pity the guy that doesn't have the tools to do all that! Then let's add in the oil line change for the B&B headers... THAT was fun! Thank GOD I had a cutoff wheel so I could get a 36mm socket on the left side and a small air saw to cut the line at the fitting at the thermostat so I could use a 4' breaker bar on it! That and $400 got me the two oil lines and I was ready to go.. except how do I get the new lines tightened? Ahhh.. I invented the 36mm oil line wrench! Take a new (NAPA-Everlast-Chinese) wrench and use your cutoff wheel to whack a 3/4" piece of the boxed end out--- VOILA instant tubing wrench! Worked great, oil lines on. How about those B&B headers and trying to get the inner (allen) nuts on? Tried cutting an Allen wrench down, NG. I finally used regular SS nuts and custom bent a box wrench to get in to tighten them..

Ok, enough whining for one day, tomorrow is mount the muffler and IC day, hopefully turn the key for the 1st time in a few weeks.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Gary, that car must have been beautiful in its day. The bumper shows age but the blueish hue of pearl is gorgeous!
Thank you for the great packing job by the way. Everything arrived in perfect shape. I have the bumper on my car and have done a test fit of the muffler. It ain't pretty but it works well.

As for the K27, that's a load of $hit they feed you concerning a bolt on. It ain't even close! I too had the bracket cut and welded, then had to hack up the up-pipe and fit a section of hose. It ended well but what a PIA.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Hiya Rarly!

Glad it got to you OK, It was a bit of a challenge to package, I hope it was what you expected... I hate selling things, would rather just give them away rather than worry about being perceived the wrong way. Looks like a nice media blasting and hole plugging would make that into a nice piece! As far as my stuff, I don't mind the custom fabrication as i'm blessed with the garage and tools to make just about anything happen but if I was a regular guy in his garage I would have been up the creek with no paddle!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Actually the bumper was in better condition than expected.
I had planned to use the bumper only for fitment purposes for the 930 muffler I have designed that exits the stock location. Turns out the bumper is good enough to prep and paint.
What FG bumper are you using? What are your muffler plans?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I'm using GT Racing bumpers front and rear and a Fabspeed single out.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: