Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 930 for the board

Hello all,

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this Forum and especially the fine folks at Pelican Parts for continuing to support our addiction to these small, impractical, temperamental, aggravating, unsafe and expensive rolling copper wired bundles of turbocharged joy. It will shortly become extremely obvious that I am (as I suspect all of you are) not exactly “right”.

Little about me. I got the Porsche bug early. Dad bought a 79 Turbo Carrera when I was about 13, then an 85 Carrera (sold with 164,000 miles – same clutch, 4 sets of shocks), now has an 04 997 C2 Tiptronic, my brother drives a 99 996 Cab Tip as well. In 2000, I bought a Beck 550 and have been restoring it as close to orig as possible since 2002 – aluminum floor goes in this weekend (have pictures if anyone interested) and in April of 06, I sold my CLK430 (daily Driver) and bought this car from jobenz 1982 930 Turbo – as my daily driver… yes, daily driver. Not so odd I guess, but I live in HOUSTON – which I have come to realize over the past 7 or so months that our climate is considerably different than the one these cars were originally engineered to run in. I am sharing this with you for two reasons really. First to share my – real world – experiences (successes and failures) in the event that someone else may be able to apply them to their own endeavors and second as payback for your thoughts, considerations and help in the event that you decide to answer what I am sure will be many, many posts to this forum.

A little about the 930, My dad and I flew to Hartford to “look” at the car – I was the only one that knew I had only purchased two one way tickets from Houston to Hartford – drove her for about an hour, then to the bank and we were on our way home. 1723 miles from doorstep to doorstep – in 36 hours – averaged 23 mpg. Case was bone dry, when we left, bone dry when we arrived in Houston and Bone Dry today – which is a miracle after you understand the temperatures I have but this car through in the last 7 months (anyone in the Hartford, NY, New Haven area that needs a master engine builder I cannot do enough to recommend Stewart Morton at Morton Competition – (have contact info if interested) he is a genius. From the AD, you can see that she has spent more than a couple of hours under the knife and has many of the attributes that one would expect a second wife to have. And as you would suspect, my current wife (first) is at times less than amorous towards her and I (not even going to talk about the 550 – which I bought a couple of weeks BEFORE we got married – thank GOD). In any event, those “implants” err features can cause havoc when the heat of the day reaches 100+ F and stop and go traffic mostly stops rather than goes. It was obvious that “cooling” was going to be an issue. When I bought it, it had 3 coolers – Stock engine mounted cooler, 7 row B&B front mounted cooler and the stock tube cooler in the front passenger side wheel well. Still, 15 to 20 min in traffic would rocket oil temp past 220 degrees and facilitate a freeway shoulder side or parking lot car show of one for 45 minutes to an hour. Knowing how little time I already get to spend with our now 5 year old daughter, this just wasn’t going to work. So, I called BAT Enterprises and ordered a 44 Row Mocal cooler to replace the tube cooler in the Passenger’s Front wheel well, and ran two 6 inch pull type fans with a on-off switch inside. Anyone interested in doing this needs to know a couple of things. First, the fittings on a brass tube cooler after 24+ years become so attached to the cooler that nothing short of an answered prayer can get them of without some degree of marring either the fittings or the cooler – my luck it was the fitting – call back to BAT, new hose adapter please. Second, there are 2 points in the wheel well that one can use to attach an external cooler to – neither of which are useful with any know or unknown mounting bracket – that was accomplished with a 2 foot by two foot sheet of 3/16 inch thick sheet of aluminum – also have pictures if interested. The new cooler, fans and switch to Royal Purple XPR 20/50 have made a huge difference.

Now for a question or two, if you don’t mind. I know the car is a “Grey Market” car and that there is little documentation and even fewer people willing to help “resident aliens”, but I am having intermittent problems with my alternator not charging – has anyone experienced this and if so, what did you find was the issue – voltage regulator? Second, has anyone run another set of auxiliary gages for voltage, oil pressure and oil temp and if so – where are the best places to pick up the signals – on back of existing gages OR straight from the sending units – and if from the sending unit is your suggestion, where is the oil pressure pick-up I should wire from? Lastly, from the oil tank to the front cooler there is a metal piece – that the hoses run into – I assumed that this was a thermostat which opened when needed to send hot oil to the cooler, but Haynes and my 101 projects book call it an oil pressure regulator – can someone shed some (more) light on that part.

Well, thank you again… I hope I can add some kind of value to this board.

Sincerely - Ryan
1982 930
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Welcome !

The oil pressure sender is the one on the right of the engine fan.

The oil thermostat is in the right hand wheel well as you thought.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you Nathan. Here are a couple of pics.

1982 930
Old 01-11-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Beautiful color.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZLP
Super clean car, looks great!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a similar situation on my '86 last spring and the alternator needed a rebuild. ask around and you will find that there is probably a place in your city that can do a rebuild for @$175 with new bushes and a VR. While you have it out, you might as well just rebuild the whole thing.
Also, if you have been intermittently killing your battery, you may want to put a fresh one in after the rebuild. My failing alternator killed the battery which in turn stressed the fresh altenator to the poiint of needing another rebuild.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks!
1982 930
Old 01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Doug - thanks for the reply. Brand new battery when I bought the car. Have it on the trickle charger every night. My drive each day is about 25 miles each way. By the time I get home, I am anywhere between 50% and 80%....
1982 930
Old 01-11-2007, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Great to have another Houstonite on the board!

I agree, it sounds like the alternator.

Unfortunately I'm way down in Clear Lake, but what part of North Houston do you live in?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks David! -

I am on the Northside (1960 area) - who is doing your engine work? What EFI vendor did you choose? I have a lot of experience with Electromotive TECII - that is what is on my Spyder 2318cc. LOVE to see some pics of your suspension work - next on my list of things to do.
1982 930
Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
EBS did the engine machining and I built the engine. I'm using a Motec M600, but I've been having some problems with it. The car's at Protechnik now for the ecu tuning but the ecu keeps locking up. Hopefully it's just a bug with the latest software version so we're going go back to an earlier version. Hopefully Sam can get it tuned this weekend.

There's nothing really special with the suspension: Elephant racing polybronze bushings and trailing arm monoballs. 22/31mm hollow torsion bars. 22mm F/R adjustable swaybars. Bilstein sport front and custom valved rear shocks. I may still go to coilovers at some point.

It's too bad this city's so spread out. It makes it really difficult to have Pelican get togethers. About once a year we manage to get a few of us together. We're about due.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Niiiiice! I have a buddy that has been fooling with his Motec unit for a while as well... might put the two of you together - he has gone back to carbs for the moment. - wish I had used dynamat... hate the stock shield.

1982 930
Old 01-12-2007, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Regarding the alternator problem. I had a similar issue, but mine was over charging intermittenly. I hooked up a multi meter and watched as I drove to confirm. Replaced the alt with a Bosch. Took me about 2.0 hrs, very easy job. First time doing a turbo too. 1 year warr as opposed to 90 days from a rebuild. 2k miles later, no problems...

tim.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Timc,

because the car is a Euro car, I think the alternator is a Rhome not a Bosch... but guess I won't know for sure until I take it out - glad to hear it's only a couple hour job - thanks for that. takes me that long to replace the alternator on the 550.
1982 930
Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Love the front valence.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks Rob - it's a DP valance. Closest match I have found is either

1. http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com/interiors/fbumpers1/935tfs.html

or

2. http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com/interiors/fbumpers1/930sfs1930sfs1.html
1982 930
Old 01-12-2007, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mine was not a Bosch either, it was a Valeo with the Paris-Rhone VR. Possibly same as yours...don't think it matters...
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
550Sypder,
i saw your car when it first came up for sale on ebay last year. it looked super nice, especially w/the valance. it was listed for $38K back then, the price was just too steep for me. i never saw any pixs of the interior though....is it dark blue inside as well?

best, Paul.
"it's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma" Winston Churchill.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Paul - yes, interior is dark blue. Sport Seats, drivers side is a solid 9.5 out of 10 - amazing condition.
1982 930
Old 01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Post a pix or two of the interior when you get the chance. The exterior must be a rare color, pacific blue metallic.

best, Paul.
"it's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma" Winston Churchill.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: