Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks a great deals for the images! I think it may be either one of the relays or the overboost which I will ground today to check

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
OK ...I think I am wrong on the yellow as a turbo protection relay. Based on the shop write up it cuts the fuel pumps and then cuts the CDI box.... as it says for an orderly reduction in combustion... I guess this is part of a shut down procedure to clear the cylinders of gas due to the continuous fuel delivery process...The over boost relay is the round relay- red/blk and that cuts the power to the fuel pumps when the over-boost sensor causes the relay to trip....

John Walker if you are out there ....please help us clarify..

Thanks.
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Did a search on the red vs blk relays...there is allot out there... here is one link..

RED vs BLACK relays
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

jwmarc-

thanks for the pics. But now I'm getting a little confused. Here's my board, looks like the 1977 diagram. Are one of my two silver rectangular modules supposed to be the yellow relay talked about in this thread? Or is my red round relay supposed to be yellow? Also, I did not see anything physically wrong with the red relay, no cracks of the prongs or the housing. Might it still be bad? (I'm not an electrical engineer, pardon the ignorance)

Am I remembering correctly that I used to hear the buzz of the fuel pump w/ the ignition in the on position? It also seems that there are two fuel pumps for the 930, I can't imagine that both have died on me at the same time. (I do hear the high pitched noise of the CDI still)

former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner

Last edited by vmb; 01-28-2007 at 01:32 PM..
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You will only hear the pumps pumping when the engine is turning. The flap meter in the cis has a sensor/switch. This sensor/switch can be overided (pumps on when ignition is on) simply by disconnecting it, no bridging of wires is needed.

Also, my 930's board looks like yours vmb.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-28-2007, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

930 not starting still

Is track car and pumps come on when you turn on the key. Is 12 Plug system with dual Bosch boxes and duel coils. (all Porsche OEM - no aftermarket)
I swapped the red and black relays after which it would not even initiaize the starter. Even after I swapped back - nothing. I tapped on the relays with a screwdriver and then the starter would engage but she still will not crank. There is fuel and I pulled a couple of lower plugs (12 plug system) and while damp they do not seem to be soaked. There is a gray relay that seemd to be for the ignition. Anyone familiar with this relay? If I have fuel, fire and there appears to be no CIS air leakswhat could be preventing her from starting? Prior to the aforementioned eveny she would fire on the first turn of the key. Relay?

Last edited by Kimos; 01-28-2007 at 07:16 PM..
Old 01-28-2007, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Exclamation Still No Start

Any help here at all will be greatly appreciated.
I posted last week re my track car 934 Turbo (fresh 3.3 Turbo with factory Turbo and intercooler + doorknob boost control) just died at a light. Of course I prob should have not been on the street in her but . . . . Thing is never before had a prob. Tank is a RSR top fill and can see interior which is clean. She was running a bit low on fuel. When she quit however, there a a fog of fuel vapor coming from the exhaust (straight exhaust). She simply would not fire. However, I held the pedal down assuming she might flood and after several attempts she finally fired. I drove back to the warehouse and she died again. After retarting the same way once again I took her around the block and she died again. It has not fired since. I changed all plugs (12) System is dual plug - dual porsche coils and twin bosch boxes. I am getting spark at the dist from the coils and at plug. Spark not jumping across the room but there is some fire. Thing is when I check the plugs (lower) again they were not saturated with fuel either. Check fuel pressure at pumps and fuel sprayed when I went to loosen the line(s). Not a tech so asking a few questions here. Should there be more fuel in the cyl if she does not fire? What does the WUR and air aux air reg do exactly and is there a way I can determine if something of that nature is failing? Just seems like something has failed but just cannot determine what. I checked the air/vac lines, new plugs, checked fuses and replaced all relays other Tests? Steps? She will not even stumble. Turns over smoothly - Just no start at all.

Any help greatly appreciated. I would take to shop for tech to test but do not have a trailer currently (shopping) and just do not want to trust her to tow co.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Any compression ?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: