Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.3L rebuild and tune-up

Hi all,

Any owners out there maintaining there own vehicles?
If so please share your past experinces good and bad.

I have taught my self how to rebuild motors over the years I have rebuilt two 95 isuzu rodeo V6 motors with success. Plus I also do all the maintenance on redoes.

That said, I have all the books from pelican and 911 manuals and I'm wondering if I should attempt to maintain my own 930.

Thank you for your time.

Vincent
Old 01-14-2007, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you are a patient man, go for it. I haven't brought my car to a garage yet. It's all realtively simple. I woudl educate myslef on the CIS system and other inner workings of the car before you go and make adjustments. Otherwise, a very simple vehicle. make sure you get yourself the manuals for your car. They are extremely helpful..as is this board.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 01-14-2007, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

With all the right tools, references and some technical know-how, it shouldn't be an issue.

I tend to do all the simple servicing stuff myself, but where there's fabrication to be done, or internal engine work, I leave that to the pro's. I'm not a mechanic by trade (I.T actually), so I'm hesitant to do any internal work myself. I'd like to change this though and learn how! It'd save me a bucket (or trolley) load of money in the long term
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-14-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply. I just won my first 930 on ebay. She is a gem. Luckily I was able to check the car since I'm local.

I now have a new found confidence in Porsche and my abilities. I'm ex-Navy 12 year electronics tech but now I'm in software development.

I lately spent 6 months learning to weld aluminum and cast magnesium. They said it could not be done !!! but I pressed on and developed my technique.

When I finally get my garage setup to handle my Miller Tig I will be happy to help anyone with repairs for the price of friendship

I could tell stories about my time learning to weld cast magnesium. In summary, if you respect the metal it will not explode in your face.

Your new 930 friend,
Vincent

PS should I also get the book Ultimate Boost for reference?

Proud owner of 1988 930 Artic White
Old 01-14-2007, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Welcome aboard. Seems you have some patience then, you should be OK maintaining your car. I think the secret is not to need to use the car, take your time and do it right.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: