Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Twins are more fun!

I don't really care where they are made as long as the quality of the welds are good and the manufacturer/supplier stands behind their product and offers a warranty against manufacturing defects and cracking. Forget paying nearly $2k+ for the same product from B&B or GHL!

I see that B&B are T304 anyway and GHL are 321. So are the GSF & OBX respectively.

Can someone explain to me where my extra $1.5k is going in terms of build quality if I go for B&B's or GHL's?

It's good to finally see some suppliers emerging & causing some ripples in the aftermarket Porsche circles... perhaps some of these other "US" suppliers will finally open their eyes and offer their products at a more competitive price to compete with these Asian suppliers.

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)

Last edited by JMA-RUF; 02-09-2007 at 06:17 PM..
Old 02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I don't think GHL is all 321...they're mostly 304 stainless, and may have some 321 at certain points...but not throughout.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Me like track days

Take it on a case-by-case basis. I have yet to see that the OBX, Schnell or whatever China headers are yet proven to be ok for a 930. Time and reports back to this and Rennlist will tell.

- IF they prove to be reliable, IF they hold up reasonably to track use, IF they fit worth a *****, IF they are appropriately sized and function well.......then they are a decent header for a turbo - in my book.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

I have a set of Schnell headers and they have been on my car for about a year. I haven't driven it that much because of some mods but they fit great and the welds looked good. Inside the collector had been ground smooth and there were no voids or rough edges. I called the company in Miami, Fl. can't remember if it was Performance or Vertex, and spoke to the sales manager and asked why the prices had gone up from $750 to $950. He said that he would sell them to me or anyone on Renn forum for $750. His name is John. So far so good! The bad thing about the Chinese is that we are killing all of our home grown manufacturers because we are all price driven. In a few years there will be nothing left but Chinese imports and local custom racing stuff. I wish I knew what the answer was on these worrisome things. They are going to stick it to us one day!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Like 911Rudy I'm running Scnell headers and mufflers too, and I've been pleased with the fitment and reliability so far....but you're right about the trend towards outsoursing to the Chinese. The desire for more profit is sending a lot of the retail outlets as well as manufacturers to China....take a look at the tool industry....outlets like Harbor Freight. That's almost exclusively Chinese imports. Look as Sears...same outsoursing on a lot of their stuff too. Griots is outsoursing their orbital polishers and slapping their name on them. Two factors are at work here. One is the desire of the consumer (that's us) for cheaper products...just like the discussion here on headers....the second is the reaction of the manufacturers themselves to compete for customers and increase profits by going to cheaper manufacturing processes as well as goods like stainless steel. I have two friends in the auto sound business who have gone to China to develop new speakers. China is making huge inroads into our economy. The smaller and respected businesses we see today are going to start developing an advanced case of rigor mortis.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

troubled on headers and turbo connection pipe

I'm kind of troubled in what's offered left and right (ebay mostly)
seems like obx headers have a different lay-out compared to schnell for example, most importantly, some seem to offer heaeders with a direct pipe to the turbo , while others do not,?
how is this connection then made ? intermediate parts required ?

I know there's been lots of discussion on quality to price etc and I'm looking to buy a good set at a reasonable price
here's some examples

another question on the BB's, is ther a great perfomance diference in the with or without heat exchangers ? other then less weigth

the OBX

the schnell
[IMG]http://www.**********.com/ebay/930header/headers.jpg[/IMG]

BB style with heat exchangers

BB style no heat exchangers

thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdw View Post
I'm kind of troubled in what's offered left and right (ebay mostly)
seems like obx headers have a different lay-out compared to schnell for example, most importantly, some seem to offer heaeders with a direct pipe to the turbo , while others do not,?
how is this connection then made ? intermediate parts required ?

I know there's been lots of discussion on quality to price etc and I'm looking to buy a good set at a reasonable price
here's some examples

another question on the BB's, is ther a great performance difference in the with or without heat exchangers ? other then less weigth

the OBX
The OBX headers you have pictured look to be for a NON-turbo application. Here's my thread regarding OBX:
B&B Headers - got a god d@mn hole!
I've been running them for almost a year on a daily driver with no issues to report. I haven't even had to go back and snug up the exhaust port nuts....something I did at least twice with my B&Bs. I'm very pleased with the OBX, and can tell no difference in performance over B&B. Obviously the dyno would reveal all, but I don't have that data. In addition, I had no mounting/installation issues with my set. As with anything in this price range: YMMV.

Perhaps I rolled the bones and got lucky?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

thanks sand_man
that's the doubt I had, send a mail to the seller, told me no problem !

read the thread, very usefull !

went to have a look at the site, they don't seem to offer it anymore ...
Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

You are most welcome. Honestly, if you can pony up the extra coin, the SSI option that RarlyL8 and M&K have conjured up is a nice one. Maybe one of the best yet? Those things would probably outlast your car. One thing I really like, however, is the "no clutter" look of my heater-boxless OBX.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 04-28-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The difference between OBX quality and SSI quality is not unlike the cheap Chinese waste gates vs TiAL waste gates. They work but fit and longevity is a crap shoot.

Each has its application. OBX may well do for most folks and with the economy tanking (in part due to the Chinese) is a necessary low cost option.
In response to that I applied for and was granted distributorship for OBX.
The irony is that the mega-stores on the internet buy at such huge volumes (ricer retail) that they can sell 930 headers cheaper than I can buy them.
Part of the reason P-parts are so expensive is volume; Porsche parts suppliers simply cannot buy at the reduced quantity rates granted the Ricers.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

saw those as well, however price is a big difference and as it's shipped to europe, there's another 21% VAT and 20 import taxes, so it does add up.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
obx 930 turbo header pics

So an old topic , but this is timeless and maybe usefull for some of you guy's
Maybe i em lucky but the weldings are looking good
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

I ran a chain through mine some brushes and washed them out as well as I could, I didn't actually recover any debris out of them as others have. 2 years on and they're holding up fine and still look shiny. Will be getting Brian's eventually though as I miss heat!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
I ran a chain through mine some brushes and washed them out as well as I could, I didn't actually recover any debris out of them as others have. 2 years on and they're holding up fine and still look shiny. Will be getting Brian's eventually though as I miss heat!
i gonna make heatexchangers by my self. its a 2 day's job.
Thanks for the tips! verry usefull
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klefroid View Post
i gonna make heat exchangers by my self. its a 2 day's job.
Thanks for the tips! very usefully
So i have placed the header,the heat exchangers are good. the performances is more the i expected. it feels like i have an other car. its crazy
now he pulls of @ 40O0 RPM,so the difference is big,very nice
BUT!!! the fittings are crap, its fits fine for the cylinders but not for the turbo
i have to rebuild it for a proper fitments....
So please don't buy this **** as its not fitting right.
I feel not cheated for that price. its nice to try if you have a mechanical feeling for this. i can tell that it is better to buy an other one... a rarely8 ore so maybe
Maybe he can give me a price for a new one?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I would of course be happy to quote a set for you.
I have replaced these, and just about every other brand of aftermarket 930 header, with my headers. Not only is the fitment of mine adjustable and guaranteed issue free but the performance is better as well.
I can't touch the price of course but there is a reason for that, some of which which you are experiencing.
I completely agree that the inexpensive headers have their niche but fitment is a crapshoot. I had a fellow call just yesterday asking me to fix a set of ill-fitting xxx headers. Unfortunately it would cost as much to fix them as he paid for them, so there will be compromises made that will allow them to work. I'll probably sell him a set in the near future as the fix may not last.
My heat exchangers are now in the final stages of prototyping so we should have something soon. Once the testing process is complete I will offer them to Pelican which will give everyone more choices for these products.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
i still have an exhaust leak from one of the pipes not fitting perfectly at one of the cylinder exhaust ports on the passenger's side...... goes away when engine is warm but i can STILL hear it if I listen real close. BUGS the hell out of me! If I cant find a way to "fix" it, then I'll be ordering one of yours, Brian, with heat.
Damn!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

If I were keeping my 930, I would no doubt pony up the coin for a set of Brian's headers!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: