Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just weighed my new Lindseys

Just received my new Lindsey's today for my 930 and figured that some might be interested in the weight. 17x11 and 17x9 without center caps weigh 21# and 19#. This was done with atomic accuracy as I stepped on and off the bathroom scale a few times. I guess there could be a (+-) 2# margin of error because the scale rounds off to the nearest #. I would estimate that if someone wanted 10" for the fronts, they would be @ 20#.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Me like track days

Oh my GOD! That is SO heavy!
Won't it way slow down your 930?

Kidding.
They are a fine looking wheel that fulfills all aspects:
Sharp
Relatively sorta tough
Excellent fit
Superb workmanship

------------
From a reply I received in 2005:
Nice but heavy. Problem with these wheels is that they are sooo expensive. You can get a set of Fikse or Kinesis WITH new rubber for that kinda of coin. Plus save about 15lbs of unsprung weight per corner.

Most people don't realize the difference when they first put them on. But after you drive the car with those leg irons on for a year or two and then take them off and replace with something half the weight you will wonder what the hell you were smoking when you laid out all that coin for them. I can see paying $$$ for nice looking, lighweight, 3 piece modular, high performance wheels but - these only fill one category.
------------
Sheesh.....
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What offset did you use for your lindseys? Do you have to run any spacers? Any clearance issues?

I'm ordering a set of 17X9 and 17X11, any info you can provide is much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Registered Member

Garage
Fernando~

Awesome work on your project! Excellent documentation along the way!
I can't wait to see the finished results!!!

Anyone who hasn't seen, hit his "in progress" link on his sig.
'85 Carrera Coupe, Marble Grey #118 JP/R6
'93 Lexus SC400, '00 Ford F-150
'70 911T- 2.7 (SOLD)
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Fernando, my car is an '86 930 so I am sure my offsets won't be of much use. Talk to Mike at Lindsey and he may be able to help you the best. I am sure he has built wheels for projects similar to yours.
Doug
Old 02-28-2007, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the props Patrick I hope to have the car running and possibly participate in the Porsche Parade held in July here in San Diego.

I've talked to Mike and since I'm running springs in the front he suggested 17X9 instead of the 17X9 1/2. Just wondering if anyone out there is running 930 one piece rotors with coils. According to Mike the 9 inch barrels are out of stock until the end of March, if I can fit 9 1/2's I may have my wheels sooner... I'll do some more research.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
another example of the difference between the old factory stuff and the new:

I had 944 "cup" style 16 inch wheels w/ 50 series Toyo's on my 1980 928 Euro S.

the wheels are lighter than the OEM disc wheels. (probably a pound or two lighter than OEM 928 disc wheels)

I upgraded to the following:

front

19x8 Carrera S 997 et57mm w/ Toyo Proxes T1-R 235/35/19

rear

19x11 Carrera S 997 et67mm w/ Toyo Proxes T1-R 315/25/19

net weight loss was 44 pounds!

More traction (on DE course), lighter weight, and they look great.

If you're going to make a switch, go late model. You're handling will improve and you'll cut some weight.

Not quite as expensive/exotic as modular/multi piece wheels, but it is an easy improvement.

regards---rhjames

Bill Maher 8/4/09--- "I'll show you Obama's birth certificate, when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma."
Old 03-02-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Except that the offsets are all wrong, WILL require the use of heavy spacers to fit, and in my opinion would look ghetto on a 930. I am glad that you like your new wheels, but this is the second Lindsey wheels thread where your post has added nothing to the discussion about Lindsey wheels. You either get it or you don't.

JP
89 targa black betty
Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
JP,

Mmmm.....I said nothing about fitment on a 930. And yes, I do get it about the Lindseys. Old wheel look, new diameter and width. Easy enough.

My point was only demonstrate that there are options out there (late OEM Porsche wheels) that MAYBE some folks are not aware of. I guess you missed that point as well. (There are others that read these posts....but you probably missed that point as well.)

Now (for your benefit) I will add something to the discussion:

"What tires and wheels are you using with the Lindseys, and what are the actual offsets available to those who are interested? Considering Porsche has been using 19's for several years now, why not go to that diameter and cut your unsprung weight even more?"

Excuse my presence here. Again, another rear-motor (Porsche purist) offended by a minor comment from a (not necessarily 928 only) Porsche enthusiast.

My 997 wheels may look ghetto to you, but when I can give a C-6 Vette a severe run for his money (at Texas World Speedway this past month) with a 27 year old, broke motor 928, I'll keep the 19's. Have a nice day.

regards---rhjames

Bill Maher 8/4/09--- "I'll show you Obama's birth certificate, when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma."
Old 03-02-2007, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Not offended in the least and all too willing to admit that you have a great looking shark. The point was that both threads you posted on are about Lindsey wheels fitment on a 930. (This is after all the 930/ Turbo forum) On the other thread you introduced yourself by stating that you like your wheels better. Good for you. The forums are a great place to initiate discussion about the merits of upgrades/performance enhancements to all our respective rides, however, IN MY OPINION, such discussion would be better recieved in another thread. As well, this has nothing to do with any perceived air cooled/water cooled issues on my part. We drive Porsches for a reason and should be proud of that. Any porsche that runs hard with the C-6 is allright by me.

Best,

JP
89 targa black betty
Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
So now that I've stuck my nose into something else it really didn't belong in, I was just really suggesting that bigger diameter/low numbered aspect setup are a good thing.

If Lindsey doesn't offer anything bigger than 17's, maybe they should (?)

What the heck, you can even buy 18 to 20 inch Cragar S/S wheels now for your muscle car.....Sorry, I'm really showing my age now.....

It's just a wheel thing. Besides, there might be something over on these posts that I can transfer over to my 928--Vette killer....

And yes, I love anything that goes fast, front engine or not. I just happen to be dealing with 20+ year old stuff.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Lindseys are made from an original 16x6 wheel center and welded into a 17" barrel. They was never a 17" original Fuchs, so there is no way to go 18".
I purchased Lindseys because I really like the classic look and wanted to get wider than 245 rubber in the rear. I am replacing a set of Kinesis k18r with these Lindseys. I thought the Kinesis looked great, but sometimes they seems a little big and out of place to me. I have always thought that it is funny how when a car is newer, the new rims add something, but when they become classic after @ 20 years, the original rim looks best. I remember in the 80's when I thought that gold centered BBS when the coolest looking wheel on Porsche and BMW. Now I can't stand them.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
Thanks for the education on the Lindseys. I have friends with 944s that would be interested in the wheels, as you say--retaining the OEM look but a more modern wheel/tire. I run DE now and again, with plenty of Carrera's with Fuchs and such that the owners are constantly complaining about. No traction and the tires just roll over (on their sidewalls in the curves), so when they see me sticking like glue after my tire/wheel upgrade, the questions come my way.

Interesting, we did the same sort of thing back in the '70s with Mopar rallye wheels for drag cars, varying offsets for different axle widths, trying to get the biggest set of slicks under the factory fenderwells.

Same with me on the BBS wheels.....just too many varieties out there now to pick from.

Perhaps your buddy at Lindsey could make a 3 piece setup that incorporated a Fuchs center section that was bolted to the rim sections (as opposed to welded), that way the rim variations (width, offset, diameter) could be quite numerous?

It seems you don't have quite the fender limitations like the 928 (maybe you do?), so you might be able to go as big as say, 19x10 on the front and 19x11 on the rear?

That would be one big steamroller-sticky tire-d setup.

Disclaimer:

I don't pretend to know a damn thing about the Carrera line, but I am learning, so be patient with me. If there is something I can take to my 928, short of putting the motor in the trunk, that's my interest.

regards---rhjames

Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: