Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.6 lbs/hp

15 x 10, 15 x 14 wheels, under 1500 lbs...

This very car, the red one on the home page, was going to be mine. This was before the turbocharging and the power to weight ratio wasn't quite what I had set as my benchmark at the time, but things have changed!

O.K. it's not a 930, it's not even a Porsche engine, but it is the sincerest form of flattery in appearance, and pretty cool....

" 1/12/07

We brought the D962R Turbo to the dyno Friday, to get figures on the final turbo production setup. We made some changes, including going with an external wastegate, a Tial 44mm unit, with a 8.6 psi spring. This would prevent any boost creep, and allow us to better control the boost over the standard 28mm internal wastegate.

In addition, we replaced the stock plastic intake with a fabricated aluminum piece that should allow better breathing for the ports.

In our first dyno run, the D962R Turbo developed 358.8 hp at 8000 rpm, and was still climbing- this is horsepower to the wheels! That translates to 410 hp at the crank. The power was incredible; the torque curve was actually a shelf, at a peak of 238 ft/lbs. The second run was an exact duplicate of the first, and we wrapped things up and returned to the shop.

We have changed the halfshafts to solid 300m units (300,000 psi), the same as the Champ cars use. In addition, we have beefed up the upper rear suspension, and changed the brake rotors to precision curved vane rotors.

We are now in the process of getting the custom intercoolers, turbo exhaust, and aluminum intakes produced. We should be able to deliver the first Turbo D962Rs in March.

In the meantime, we will be racing this coming weekend at Sebring, 1/19-21, with PBOC. It is the biggest weekend of the year in Florida, attracting racers from around the country, including many professionals who use the weekend for as testing for the 12 Hour race.

The following weekend we will be at Moroso, with NASA.

Regards,

Chris Diasio"

Here's the site;

www.diasio.com
Bullet Racing #22 GT3 Cup
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A pic;
Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I lived in Indy several years ago and tracked regularly at Putman Park. These cars were at the track fairly often. Really a neat package.
I still have a heavy desire to put a motorcycle engine in a 1000 pound track car.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cool, I remember when you were talking about getting one of these! Very cool! My dad was trying to talk me into one, but I just can't afford it. Hope I get to see it soon if you bring out to PIR!

Cheers
Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I never did take delivery Jeff. At the time they were completed last summer they were still N/A, and the power to weight ratio wasn't near enough the benchmark I set to be competitive in the group I was going to race in. It was a big disappointment after waiting almost two years, and having made the difficult decision to sell my 930 to partially facilitate the finances. I went a season and a half without a race car, and was suddenly left with no real plan or alternatives, and a real sense of having made a huge mistake. It looked like I should have simply developed the 930 into a full dedicated race car as one of the options had been. In the end, I went with the car in my avatar, and it has been fun and competitive.

Meantime, Chris used the car I had purchased as a development platform for the forced induction, and it appears with great success. I don't think there is much out there that can touch this now in terms of performance for the price, if that's a person's cup of tea. FWIW, they use Kodiak wheels...

Last edited by Randy Blaylock; 01-18-2007 at 09:15 AM..
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ooops, I misunderstood. That is too bad it did not work out. But I am sure the current car is fun too!!

Cheers
Old 01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: