Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Running without a BOV?

Curious, will running the car temporarily without a Blow Off Valve damage a turbocharger, or will it simply affect the spool-up between gear shifts, since the compressor has to spin up to speed again?

I need to know fairly urgently as I need to do a quick work-around and am wondering if it's safe to run BOV'less for a few days?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Why do you run a BOV and wastegate? I would imagine the BOV is really just a fail safe for the wastegate against overpressurization, thus should not effect spool. I don't use a BOV on mine, but run much less pressure than you.
Pat
01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB
Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The blow-off valve prevents backpressure pulses from damaging the turbocharger and related plumbing when you chop the throttle (off) while spooled up.
If you stay off boost you'll be OK, if not you risk a harmful situation.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OK, I agree with Brian. Bigger problem at higher boost (930 range) than what I run (5-7 PSI). My rubber boots will absorb the pulses.
01 Boxster
Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for confirming... I better just wait till it's sorted then
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Patkeefe, the reason you want to run both is because they are complimentary to each other and they both serve a worthwhile purpose. Running without a blowoff valve or bypass valve of some sort is a bad idea as it will slowly damage the turbo over time. How can it damage the turbo? Well basically when you are on boost and you lift off, you'll get compressor surge where the compressor basically stalls due to backpressure in the intake. This can cause excessive wear on the center section and eventually the turbo can develop more shaft play among other things. On something more expensive like a 35r, I'd definitely be using either a BV or BOV.

As far as bypass or blowoff valves affecting spool, they definitely can. If your BV/BOV is leaking then it basically causes a boost leak (well, leaking back into the intake that is, if recirculated) which can lead to increase spool time between gears among other things.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

I really like the idea of recirculating the air from the BOV back into the intake. I don't really like the "ricey sound" these BOV's make between gear shifts.

Any of you guys seen a turbo running dual BOV's? i.e: one BOV just after the turbo's compressor and a second BOV just after the i/coler's outlet?

What would be the advantage of running two units? Maybe for BIG boost (i.e: 25-30+ psi) applications, needing to vent the reverse pulses quicker? Just curious...

Last edited by WydRyd; 01-29-2007 at 03:35 PM..
Old 01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

its so the turbo wont back spin
Old 01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
EFI engines can vent BOV air into the atmosphere, CIS engines function optimally when all the air is metered by the flapper valve and circulated past the throttle plate.

I would think that having a BOV just past the turbo and just before the throttle would be a nice safety feature in a high boost EFI application.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I believe the subject of BOV's and backpressure is certainly interesting, which we should continue as long as Merv doesn't mind the hijack.

My situation is a bit different than the 930 or other higher pressure ratio setup. I have a SC, CIS with an old BAE kit, Rajay T04B. My turbo needs a rebuild anyway, and I'm still shaking the installation out. I have enough rubber and tubing in my system to absorb the pulses, and have been toying with the idea of a bypass back to the inlet side of the compressor for the lift-the-throttle conditions described above. I have something of a modified throttle positioner which came with the CIS, which was evidently an emissions thing to keep the throttle open momentarily, but works pretty well to avoid the pulses...turbo has spooled down by the time the throttle closes.

However, I'm scrapping that throttle positioner when I put in the new IA fuel head and Brian Leask WUR, hence the bypass idea. My concern at my pressure ratio is not blowing anything up, but how can I take advantage of the "pressure pulses" to get spooled up again faster during a shift?

I haven't fully thought this out yet, and I'm open to suggestions and further dialogue.

Pat
01 Boxster
Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by patkeefe
I believe the subject of BOV's and backpressure is certainly interesting, which we should continue as long as Merv doesn't mind the hijack.

My situation is a bit different than the 930 or other higher pressure ratio setup. I have a SC, CIS with an old BAE kit, Rajay T04B. My turbo needs a rebuild anyway, and I'm still shaking the installation out. I have enough rubber and tubing in my system to absorb the pulses, and have been toying with the idea of a bypass back to the inlet side of the compressor for the lift-the-throttle conditions described above. I have something of a modified throttle positioner which came with the CIS, which was evidently an emissions thing to keep the throttle open momentarily, but works pretty well to avoid the pulses...turbo has spooled down by the time the throttle closes.

However, I'm scrapping that throttle positioner when I put in the new IA fuel head and Brian Leask WUR, hence the bypass idea. My concern at my pressure ratio is not blowing anything up, but how can I take advantage of the "pressure pulses" to get spooled up again faster during a shift?

I haven't fully thought this out yet, and I'm open to suggestions and further dialogue.

Pat
I don't mind at all... we're all here to learn so please, hijack away

I'm not sure whether you can actually utilise the back pressure pulses to spool you back up again faster during gear shifts. Then again, a lot of pressure is stored in the intake tract and when these reverse spikes are directed back into the compressor inlet, it may aid it to spin up again quicker?

I certainly can understand how not running a BOV would result in these backward spikes reaching the compressor and slowing it down by a sudden surge of air pressure, especially when running high boost.

I think perhaps running low boost with no BOV might actually result in an "anti-lag" kind of scenario, since all the pressure is still stored in the intake tract and once you open the throttle again, Xpsi is available at the throttle body instantaneously. Again, this might be the case for a low boost application, but for high boost, I'd re-think that theory as it could potentially damage your compressor blade with high pressure boost spikes

Last edited by WydRyd; 01-29-2007 at 05:18 PM..
Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeah, Merv, I agree we are all here to learn and exchange ideas and knowledge. I have to think about this in greater detail for a bit. I have been somewhat idle on getting the car running for the past couple of months (had to build an addition on the garage for the fleet), and I'm just getting the engine back together now.

I suppose one must consider timing of the throttle closing events:
Throttle closes >
Residual pressure in compressor outlet tube >
Pressure wave (like water hammer at the washing machine) >
Shock wave manifest at the compressor>
but...
Exhaust gas flow slows due to throttle closing >
Throttle re-opens >
Turbo re-spools >

So, how can we make the excess discharge pressure mitigate the shock wave, and use it to our advantage? We have turbos, because it is basically "free" HP.

I kicked the idea of a bladder storage tank around; check valve at the pseudo-BOV inlet, bleed back to the compressor inlet tube at atmospheric plus a skosh pressure, but can't figure the logistics, nor have I done the calculations of the tank sizing. It's kind of crazy, and not fully thought out. I just think that the pressure wave can be utilized to supplement the free HP aspect.

I think about this stuff until someone tells me I'm crazy.
Pat
01 Boxster
Old 01-29-2007, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You need to use something along the lines of a 965 BOV that can be welded into your CIS/turbo plumbing.

When the throttle is chopped the exhaust gasses slow the turbo. The diminishing boost on the pressure side bi-passes the throttle plate when the BOV opens. This same boosted air flows right back into the turbo inlet and continues to cycle across the turbo as the engine slows down. The result is that you are using every bit of intake air energy available to keep the turbine spinning. The decelerating exhaust is what slows the turbo at that point.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I know people have stated their points here but it's BAD to run without a BOV period. Doesn't matter if you're running .2 bar or 2.2 bar boost, it's bad and will damage your turbos. Even if your wastegate is set at 5psi, when the TB closes and that pressure has nowhere to go it will rise, as everyone knows. However it will continue to rise WELL in excess of 40-60 psi between your compressor wheel and the TB in a blink of an eye. To backspool and stall a compressor wheel that is spinning at 60-120 thousand rpm under full boost takes a massive amount of boost pressure and that's exactly what happens when your BOV jambs closed or is block off

Try this sometime.....ok maybe not but at least vision it Block your BOV inlet off and hook a cheap boost gauge to your charge piping or IC and watch it rise after a hard acceleration. 90% of aftermarket turbos are NOT designed to support that type of pressure differential and fail.

Compressor surge damages turbos VERY quickly, especially floating bearing types as it wedges the turbine shaft against the side of the bearings. Remember, floating bearing turbine shafts DON'T actually touch the bearings in the CHRA but rather float on a film of oil at about 15psi of pressure. I've replaced turbochargers that failed from C.S. where compressor buckets(the blades)have folded back or broken right off and even times where the turbine shaft has snapped right clean off right behind the compressor wheel(thrust bearing)

Being a Garrett dealer I'm always advising my customer during a turbo R&R to thoroughly clean all oil lines and passages to and from the CHRA, as well as check the operation of their BOV. Your engines are not diesels and thus need a BOV to maintain turbo life(diesels have no TB's thus no compressor surge). Recirculatory style valves offer no more "spool reduction" than atmospheric styles. They just vent boost air back into the intake tract that has already been used to calculate fuel input, weather it be by a hotwire MAS or a CIS flapper valve. It's dumped back into the intake tract to prevent an overly rich situtation as you let off the gas during shift or coming to a stop. Old DSM's have a problem with people venting bov's to the atmosphere and the stumble/stall due to this phenomenon. Atmospheric BOV's, by manufacture's design, tend to flow more air than recirculatory types and thus are used more often in high perfomance upgrades. Or as stated, multiple BOV's are used to vent enough air fast enough. When you've got twin 90mm compressor wheels forcing 30+lbs of boost into a motor, that can equal quite a bit of compressor surge if a valve went off the deep end

Sorry for the long post guys. I go off on a tangent with these things sometimes. Just trying to keep your turbos alive

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 01-29-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

No need to apologise, Adam! Thanks for shedding some light on the topic.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
This is my take, and I'm not saying BOVs are bad.

Stock 930s never came with BOVs. Never any damage.

Lots of other early turbo cars also came without BOVs. I know of a dozen or so performance street turbos and turbo race cars which sustained constant use/abuse without failure and no BOV. Garrett, Rayjay, Schwitzer, KKK etc. A good handfull were my own. Note that all were under 20 PSI.

There is a minimal boost spike when the trottle plate is closed. Stock 930 has a fast reacting boost gauge sender mounted upstream of the throttle and I don't think you can see any increase.

Non BOV throttle closure while at boost:
The compressor requires a minimum charge velocity across it's vanes to sustain a given boost pressure, if the charge velocity is not sustained the pressure bleeds off in the reverse direction through the vanes, hence, centrifical compressor. If the throttle closes under boost, the charge velocity instantly stagnates, causing the compressor to cross over to "surge", the charge then reverses back out the compressor. Not pretty, but certainly no 60 psi spikes with our compressors. Maybe a few PSI for a split second before serge kicks in.

The oscilating serge noise resuting from lifting off the throttle can be detected on some installations. After the event described above there is momentarily low pressure downstream of the turbo, yet the turbo is still spinning due to inertia so it recompresses the air until it reaches it's maximum sustainable pressure relating to the velocity of the charge across the vanes, but since the throttle is still closed the charge stagnates again sending the compressor back into surge. Repeated cycles absorb the turbo's inertia.

BOVs alow the turbo to sustain some interia by reducing the charge pressure, but sustaining the charge velocity across the compressor vanes so as to avoid serge.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Jim. I really like your project. You have great determination and skills too.

The 930 did not come with a BOV because it has a recirculation assembly instead. Basically a piston opens up and allows boosted air back into the system before the turbo and after the CIS flap. I bet you remember the talk of long and short neck IC's. The short necks mean they are fitted to the recirculation assy. The long necks are fitted in conjunction with a BOV.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I'm surprised at how much my Tial BOV opens. Anytime I lift it opens. I don't know if it's just the inlet vacuum lifting the valve or if it's the vacuum in combination with the increased pressure with the throttle closed. Either way it vents a lot. No real point to this, just thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

With a BOV such as this one (an example only), which side is the inlet from the charge air pipe and which is the exit, back into the intake (or atmo)?

I'm assuming the side pipe is the inlet from the charge air pipe and the one facing down is the pipe used to recirc back to atmo/intake?

Can someone confirm asap? I have a billet aluminium unit just like this.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You are correct Merv.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: