Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Twins are more fun!

Question Wastegates?

What aftermarket wastegates are you guys running?

I know of the Tial units, but they are expensive

The OEM ones look big and HEAVY

Anyone used the JDM or XS Power 46mm Wastegates, or have any experience with them?

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)

Last edited by JMA-RUF; 01-31-2007 at 02:08 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd stay away from those Taiwanese/Chinese knockoff wastegates you can find on Ebay. They are inferior quality and I've heard of many problems associated with them, such as failing in the closed position, not sealing properly (poor wastegate to seat clearancing), etc etc. Japanese wastegates like HKS, Trust (Greddy), etc are all pretty decent quality and work well though no one compares to Tial IMO. Honestly, I'd just spend the money on a Tial as it's the last wastegate you'll ever have to buy.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Hmmm.. I guess the wastegate does an important function, so probably best not to skimp there, for the sake of a few dollars

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)
Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by JMA-RUF
Hmmm.. I guess the wastegate does an important function, so probably best not to skimp there, for the sake of a few dollars

Yes....inferior/cheap wastegate = poor performance = possibly sticking and boost overrun = expensive collection of metal behind you.....

Tial, a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

James... I am taking off my TiAL and will be selling it. Has about 3000 miles on it and comes with a variety of boost springs.

Let me know if you may be interested.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I find OEM wastegate very good. It's rebuildable and big enough to support really big HP-numbers.

Smaller wastegates will work, but there is a chance of running into problems if you start using big turbochargers and less-restrictive exhaust. The less backpressure you have pre-turbo the bigger wastegate you need to re-route the gases around turbo.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep
I find OEM wastegate very good. It's rebuildable and big enough to support really big HP-numbers.

Smaller wastegates will work, but there is a chance of running into problems if you start using big turbochargers and less-restrictive exhaust. The less backpressure you have pre-turbo the bigger wastegate you need to re-route the gases around turbo.
Goran/anyone, are there custom boost springs available for the OEM wastegates? Like, 0.7bar springs?

Was the factory spring 0.7 or 0.8bar?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Re: Wastegates?

Quote:
Originally posted by JMA-RUF
What aftermarket wastegates are you guys running?

I know of the Tial units, but they are expensive

The OEM ones look big and HEAVY

Anyone used the JDM or XS Power 46mm Wastegates, or have any experience with them?
Thats BIG and HEAVY
Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
Goran/anyone, are there custom boost springs available for the OEM wastegates? Like, 0.7bar springs?

Was the factory spring 0.7 or 0.8bar?
.7 bar.......I believe Powerhaus sold 1.0bar springs for the 930/965 wastegate. Not sure about Andial...Andial is the only place I know of that still sells the boost diaphram for rebuilding the wastegates so you may want to give them a shout.....
Old 02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

cool - for some reason I always thought the stock 930's had 0.8bar springs
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Im not sure if anyone has or makes the next generation of blowoff valves and wastegates, In our never ending quest for power with our new race car we came across a company that is making this products like I have never seen them before, they actualy use a valve with a valve seat and a valve guide.

we will be testing them and we see the results.

Externally clock able pressure ports- For ease of installation
2.25" V-band connections- For 2.25" OD pipes and tubing (2.125" ID). Includes clamps and flanges
60mm SS valve- Big enough for even the largest turbochargers holding low boost
Silicone O-ring and piston type actuator- For long cycle life and easy track side repair if needed.All CNC machined construction- For style and excellent tolerances
3 Series SS valve housing- For excellent corrosion resistance
Nickle Aluminum Bronze valve guide- For very high exhaust temps and anti-seizing properties
V-band actuator fastener - For quick and easy service
Includes - Std., Medium, and Large springs
Old 02-01-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
cool - for some reason I always thought the stock 930's had 0.8bar springs
Maybe they are My stock 965 always read .7 bar when I got it and before I tore into it so I just assumed. Could have been weak or a bad VDO reference sensor in the IC too. Don't know, it didn't stay stock for long..
Old 02-01-2007, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Maybe the 930's were 0.8bar and the later 965's were 0.7bar?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

1. There is no "speed quest" in designing BOV's and wastegates. BOV is active only during throttle liftoff and is kept shut during accelleration. It doesn't "provide speed" in any way. Unfortunately, it provides millions of youngsters a chance to dream about being one of characters in Fast and Hilarious when they drive around in their sneezing VW 1.8T's. When it comes to wastegate, it just opens a valve and let the gases go around the turbo. Albeit wastegate is more critical from material standpoint then BOV, I really don't think engine will notice if 40mm valve is OEM or Greddy or chinese copy or whatever. It's just a valve.

2. Installing harder spring in wastgate in order to raise the boost is not recomended. It's much better to keep OEM 0.7 bar spring and raise boost trough boost controller or T-orifice. That allows you to go back to stock setting if needed w/o tedious process of opening the wastegate and swapping the spring.

Last edited by beepbeep; 02-02-2007 at 01:49 AM..
Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Totally aree BeepBeep... what I'm trying to determine is whether the OEM wastegate was preset to 0.7 or 0.8bar. This is for a friend's high compression bolt-on setup. The difference in 2psi can blow his engine, so I need to know if the OEM setup was 10psi or 12psi
Old 02-02-2007, 01:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Who makes rebuild kits for the factory wastegate? How/where can you get a .5bar spring?
Thanks,
Ben
Old 02-03-2007, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Agreed Beepbeep. Too many people think you actually gain power with BOV's. Though, there are definitely improvements that you can make by using them. In my experience, the stock 951/965 type Bosch plastic bypass valve is relatively weak and easily wears out. I've had the problem multiple times on multiple cars where they get worn out and don't remain 100% closed in off boost conditions. Because of that, then you see increased spool time initially as well as between gears. There are aftermarket units like Forge BV's that are just made of better quality materials and function better, so there are improvements to be made. Not to mention, there are some BOV's like the HKS super sequential which have a pull type valve. I personally love those a lot as it's physically impossible for them to leak, so basically you'll never have a problem and you can still recirculate if you so desire. Anyways, the only thing BV's/BOV's will ever do is eliminate lost power and lost response, though they certainly don't "add" power.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by BoxxerSix
Maybe they are My stock 965 always read .7 bar when I got it and before I tore into it so I just assumed. Could have been weak or a bad VDO reference sensor in the IC too. Don't know, it didn't stay stock for long..
You are aware that the stock gauge only goes upto .7bar ?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-03-2007, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: