Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry_Ratcliff
New project rolling feedback welcome

Hi all,

I am starting to put together the parts for a turbo conversion of my 74 911. I have had a 3.6 installed for nearly a year and I am ready to add some additional HP. I am not going to turbo charge the 3.6 as it is a 23K mile engine so I am just going to put it into my 67.

My chasis is very capable. I already have turbo flares, turbo brakes, coil over suspension on and on.

I have just started accumulating the parts. I purchased a complete 3.3 turbo induction system and a HALTECH EFI engine management system.

My thought is to build a 3.4 EFI turbo engine out of a 3.2 carrera engine.

Ideally I would keep the intercooler under the tail that I already have on my car. However, if that is not possible then I will replace the tail as well.

I am hoping for advice on which exhaust to use. I am also looking for any advice on the intercooler. I have the 3.3 factory intercooler but it wont clear my tail so I will probably just sell it along with any of the other parts I dont need.

Here is a pic of the back end of my car so that you can see my delima:

It is my opinion that my current tail fits the look of the car the best but I could change it in the spirit of HP. I would only chage it for significant gainst though.

I look forward to your thoughts/opinions.

Thanks,
Larry Ratcliff
Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Another pic of the tail just so you fully understand that there is no room to stuff the intercooler in the tail:

Old 02-02-2007, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Love the car.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Stunning car Larry!!! I love it...go for it!

Yasin
Old 02-03-2007, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Very clean. I can get glimpse inside one of your rear fenders and it looks about as clean as the outside of the car, wow!

In the summer of 2006 there was a thread in the 911 tech forum about fitting an intercooler under a stock 911 engine lid. I can't find it now, but maybe someone else will know of it. They were discussing moving the intercooler forward so it sits partially under the parcel shelf. Looked like it would fit fine, but would need a little duct work to get the air to pass from the engine lid throught the intercooler.

Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the compliments. I had it fully restored at Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix, Az. .

I had thought of moving the intercooler up under the package tray and putting a couple of electric puller fans under the intercooler with a custom shroud... So pretty close to what you are talking about Jim2.

I also saw an incredible 74 narrow body car that managed to put a massive intercooler under a duck tail. I just did not know how efficient it would be to do it. Hoping to get some insight into that. In total laymans terms I look at an intercoler as a radiator for boost ... the more air you push past the fins the cooler the air will be that you are pushing into your cylinders. The cooler the air is the more dense it will be thus more squeeze on the compresssion stroke thus more explosion on the ignite stroke. The other thing that I am figuring is that the cooler the intake air the less heat you introduce into the intake charge thus the less chance of preignition.

I am very green to this as I have never boosted anything before so if I botched that .... sorry.. I have been a gear head / racer for about 23 years so I dont think I am that far off base. I am suprised it has taken me this long to get all this HP the easy way
Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Another thought that I had was doing a horizontal cooling fan like porsche did with their race cars back in the mid 70's I was wondering if anyone here had done that .... mount a horizontal fan and put the intercooler on top of that ....
Old 02-03-2007, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Lurkasaurus

There's a company in Australia that's making the flat-fan conversion but I think it's still in the development stage, not sure though. I think that's my preferred option - you need to have airflow through the IC - if you really need to have that tail. Could get pricey.

I've decided to go with the same wing as mmastro has when I intercool my car(I have the same wing as you do atm). It fits a large intercooler but has the look of the old IROC wing - which I just love. That's if I don't go with a complete 935 body conversion - which I should probably quit thinking about.

Good luck with the project!

Last edited by turbocarrera; 02-04-2007 at 08:55 PM..
Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: