Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

turbo swap

Could someone that is running a GT35R tell me what i would have to change to replace a stock K2700 on a 92 C2 turbo with a GT3582R in 56 trim 82mm 70 A/R compressor, and 82mm turbine in 84 trim with 106A/R. Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You'd have to change:

- Muffler inlet flange to a GT 4 bolt, or just weld a 3" v-band on it and be done with it. A V-band interface will allow quicker/easier removing of the muffler, instead of stuffing around trying to access rear bolts etc.

- Oil drain flange on the GT is different to the KKK

- GT turbo has a 2.5" outlet on the compressor side, so you *may* need a reducer if your KKK has a 2" outlet.

- GT turbo has a 4" inlet to compressor, but you can get the supplier to CNC it down to a 3"-3.25" to make it easier to mate with your existing air intake pipe depending on what size it is currently. You may need a silicone reducer there too.

- oil feed line for GT only needs a -4AN, otherwise you'll over-flood it with the existing oil feed line I'd say.

Hope that helps.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Merv! I forgot to mention that the GT35 has a T3 Flange. The muffler flange is no problem ,as i am running a cat & muffler bypass that i built myself (i have a cnc mill and lathe at home),I am not sure what 84 trim on turbine and56 trim on compressor ment. What would be easiast way to hook up oil drain to stock drain tank
Old 02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yup, GT35R has T3 turbine/flange, as does the KKK units. Bolts straight onto your header

I don't use an oil drain tank. My car is aftermarket turbocharged, and I (and many others) simply gravity drain the oil to the sump drain plug... works very well

IMHO, a 1.06A/R turbine HSG will be too laggy on a 3.3. Maybe on a 3.6 it'd be fine, but for a 3.3, I suggest the 0.82 A/R HSG.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Merv,
Thanks for the info. Another question, is the GT35R water cooled? If so, are you using oil instead of water in the water jacket of the bearing housing?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yup, it's a water cooled turbo, but can be run oil cooled only. Leave the water jackets open. Make sure you exercise proper cool-down procedure before shutting off. It'll live.

If you track your car, then run oil through the water jacket too. Just a bit of added insurance.

Our motors idle/run at less oil pressure than Japenese cars, so you don't really need an oil restrictor. Just run a -4AN oil feed, unrestricted. Mine works perfectly. My turbo would tell me if it's getting TOO much oil

I was told by the Garrett distributor that an idle pressure less than 2bar WITH a restrictor will starve the turbo of oil and lead to premature failure. They advised not to run a restrictor. Hope this helps.

Last edited by WydRyd; 02-06-2007 at 01:16 PM..
Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: