Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Got Boost?

alum flywheel question?

I was wondering if anyone has had experience running light alum. flywheels in 930s
A fidenza flywheel isn't too much $ although I am wondering if it is up to the task in a high hp motor
Although the clamping force won't be affected I am worried about shearing the friction plate
Motor should make 5-600 rwhp (dep. on boost)
thanks
john
SPA #227
Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
This was discussed a while back. The 930 does generate more clutch heat. The question is does aluminum dissapate this heat better or is steel better at handling the heat? I chose steel.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm running a Fidenza alum. flywheel with a phase 3 Kennedy alum. clutch, and a 6 paddle matalic disc.
This setup is about 30lbs lighter than stock.
The car is making over 750 hp and it's holding up so far.
You will need a lot more RPM's of the line, but it makes
RPM's very quickly. The car sounds like a GT-1 race car.
Amac
Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Off topic: What type of wheels are you running on that bad boy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Amac
I'm running a Fidenza alum. flywheel with a phase 3 Kennedy alum. clutch, and a 6 paddle matalic disc.
This setup is about 30lbs lighter than stock.
The car is making over 750 hp and it's holding up so far.
You will need a lot more RPM's of the line, but it makes
RPM's very quickly. The car sounds like a GT-1 race car.
Amac
Old 02-13-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Amac, that's good to know on the aluminum flywheel. Have you changed the clutch disk yet and had a good look at the flywheel?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Got Boost?

went with the fidanza set up
this along with a kennedy clutch
I went with this setup because it still has steel friction surface (replaceable)
while looking for flywheels the only types I came across were the fidanza and bremtek
I spoke with JB racing in FL (have dealt with in the past, great products and very honest) they are currently working on a clutch setup for 930s and it should be ready to sell in a short while
thanks for the advice
john
SPA #227
Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

930 fidenza Al flywheel

Hey John,

I noticed your post from last year.
What year 930 are you running?
I have a 79 with the small diameter press-in pilot bearing.
I have the Al flywheel with 50 mm opening.
I bought the 50 mm sealed pilot bearing, which looks like it will stick out toward the clutch disc unless you remove the small pressed in flange.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers,

mark
Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

But are you changing to an aluminum pressure plate? That is where all of the weight is in these cars, not the flywheel. Sure the aluminum flywheel is lighter, but not as big a diffrence as an aluminum pressure plate to the monstrosity that comes stock. I have the Fidanza in my car at 496 horse and countless drag races and it works fine. However, the I am trying to find a way to get one of my aluminum G-50 pressure-plates to work with the 930 box because it will make the most diffrence.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

goes w/o saying

You bet I'm using the lightweight early turbo clutch w/extensions to reach from the long bell housing. Not w/ the hp you have, just a Euro w/ Andial intercooler.
I may just use the stock flywheel as it is not that much heavier then the Al version if I can't get the fitment straightened out (11# vs 6.5#).
I would rather have the extra 4.5 # than a torn up crank & tranny.

cheers,

mark
Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: