Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Torque steer

Accelerating hard causes my 1988 - 930 to want to pull to the left. Lifting (like between shifts) makes it yank hard to the right. I知 told this is called torque steer. But I知 not sure that there isn稚 something else going on here or that maybe I have a suspension problem. Or possibly something on my suspension needs to be adjusted. The problem is so pronounced that I have to anticipate what is coming and actually turn the wheel slightly to compensate. My car has 356 RWHP - 411 torque, which I wouldn稚 think would be enough hp to cause this sort of issue. Does anyone else experience this with their 930?
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Is your car lowered? Does it have a bump steer kit?

When I bought mine, it did something similar. The front was lowered to the extreme - but with no compensation for the steering geometry.

I thought torque steer was reserved for front-wheel drive vehicles. But, I'm wrong a lot.

- Skip
Old 02-09-2007, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You might want to get an alignment. Do you have a LSD?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Do you have matching tyres (and pressures) each side ?

Had it cornerweighted ?

Faulty damper or insert ?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
My car has similar power and does not do what you have described.
When the tires go up in smoke it tracks straight and true but may "fishtail" a bit. Clutching between gears is a non-event as well.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tripster
First things first

First thing here is don't start over analyzing the problem. The FIRST thing to consider, is do you have LSD? A car making the power you are making (419 @ crank) with no LSD, and good hooking tires, will cause your car to go left when on the power. If and when you rule out the LSD question, then look onward.
And don't cut yourself short, you are making more power than most on this board with the 356 RWHP you are sending the the rear wheels. Curious as to the mods you have on your little beast!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
So you're getting a little "squerly" when you get on it, huh? Sorry, I couldn't resist but it does sound as if one wheel is driving harder than the other pushing you off to one side.

1979 RoW 930
1999 BMW Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by randywebb
It is the people who have some kind of psychological problem and use the car (or some hierarchy they set up involving the cars) to try to elevate their personal sense of self-worth that irks me. I feel sorry for them of course, but they are difficult to put up with.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by PhatA55
So you're getting a little "squerly" when you get on it, huh? Sorry, I couldn't resist but it does sound as if one wheel is driving harder than the other pushing you off to one side.
Haha, yes it's a little "Squerly"... The car actually got that name hung on it about 10 years ago at a Porsche - Corvette auto cross challenge. I got loose in a corner and wound up in some trees. Since then everyone has remembered us as "Squerly". The name stuck and the license plate came next.

Quote:
Originally posted by skipdup
Is your car lowered? Does it have a bump steer kit?
Yes to both...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripster
First thing here is don't start over analyzing the problem. The FIRST thing to consider, is do you have LSD?
Yes it does...
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I still think that your car should track better than you describe.

With 350RWHP your car should be a handful, but with a 4spd and LSD it should still track straight. My car has ~300+RWHP but has a much lower geared 915. The torque multiplication of my 2nd gear is about the same as your 1st gear. I also do not have an LSD.
You track your car and should know fellow reacers with similar setups that can give you some input. The common problems that cause the symptoms you describe are low tire pressure, worn tires, worn suspension components, broken front swaybar, bad SLD, things like that. I assume you have checked those things.
Have someone watch your car from the rear and report what they see.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
The common problems that cause the symptoms you describe are low tire pressure, worn tires, worn suspension components, broken front swaybar, bad SLD, things like that. I assume you have checked those things.
I jacked the car up and WOW! Look what I found... Now how do I go about fixing this? I'm a little reluctant to just have somebody weld it but maybe that's the only fix available...

2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 02-10-2007, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
This has been covered very well on the web. Wevo do some very good repair brackets. You remove your old and weld on the new !

I think there was another company as well.

http://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-RARBConsoles.htm

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Last edited by NathanUK; 02-10-2007 at 10:12 AM..
Old 02-10-2007, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
This has been covered very well on the web. Wevo do some very good repair brackets. You remove your old and weld on the new !

I think there was another company as well.

http://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-RARBConsoles.htm

Thanks NathanUK, the're on their way!
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The common problems that cause the symptoms you describe are low tire pressure, worn tires, worn suspension components, broken front swaybar, bad SLD, things like that.
These are the things must be checked before and after every time you go to track or give a heavy foot even if they are brand new and not worn. I do have some nice kick under the rear hood as well and since changing to very heavy duty suspension components (rear sway bar 34mm, rear springs 800# etc.), not only the structural body elements are under careful control but also all bolts and joints must be secured with sockets, double closing units etc.
The combination of shaking and torque can make surprising things... .
Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Squerly,

After you fix the roll bar mounts, have the car aligned and corner balanced. Make sure the tech that does the work checks thoroughly for play in any of the suspension bushings.

JR
Old 02-14-2007, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by javadog
Squerly,

After you fix the roll bar mounts, have the car aligned and corner balanced. Make sure the tech that does the work checks thoroughly for play in any of the suspension bushings.

JR
Sunday afternoon my buddy Chris showed up with work gloves, tools, and his welder in the back of his truck. A few hours later the new mount was in and I was test-driving Squerly on hwy 90. The torque steer problem was almost gone and I was elated. Today I got an alignment done and OMG, am I stoked. My car handles great! Better than I remember it ever handling.

I知 headed for Barber next Thursday for a Friday and Saturday DE and I知 excited to see how it will do. I値l change my brake pads on Wednesday and aside from hooking up my TrakMate I should be good to go.

Thanks everyone, and a special thanks to Chris for his help last weekend.
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
When I got my 911 3.2 carrera sport coupe cornered and aligned it was amazing.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: