Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Horse Power Estimates?

With this weather, and Salt on the roads all I can do is admire my recently purchased 1981, 930 as it sits in the garage.

I was wondering how much HP this thing has?

I read that the Euro cars were 300 hp from the factory.

My car has a stainless header/exhaust system. (sounds mean). Also has the 1 bar boost spring.

What would those mods result in as far as Hp is concerned?

Also what should the boost be set at for my "Spirited" weekend driving? I've got a mechanical boost guage, and the little key to make adjustments.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

By gauge do you mean the one in the clock location, right of the tach? If yes and it has the little triangular key recess in the center, it is a gauge and only a gauge. It indicates boost pressure, but does not control it. The orange needle should move with the regular needle and sit at the highest pressure level reached, until reset with the key.

Anyhow, sounds like a fun car. Post some pics. Someone else can chime in with a guess on power.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep, sounds like they took out the clock. Thanks for clarifying the guage for me. I was wondering why the orange needle was so low. I thought it was some sort of Red Line, like a Tach.

Last edited by moochie; 02-09-2007 at 10:52 AM..
Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice looking car. Looks familiar...

Here's my boost gauge. I had just set the telltale to 1.1 bar because it was actually holding the other needle back.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Me like track days

Don't mean to sound like a JA, but you might want to learn a bit more about your car - for your own good - especially before making adjsutments to critical items in the future. Off-season is a great time to do so! Nice car. Cheers,
Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That's what I'm trying to do.

I have not even been able to drive the car yet due to the weather. All I can do is buy, & read books and try to learn all I can.

Last edited by moochie; 02-09-2007 at 12:00 PM..
Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Beautiful car.
A 1.0 bar spring is generally not recommended for use with a stock intercooler due to the possibility of detonation. An aftermarket intercooler should be your first upgrade.
Keep an eye on that VDO tattletail boost gauge. In my opinion they are junk. The tattletail needle can be stiff, binding up the boost needle, and eventually will break (like mine did).
Old 02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
What that red needle is supposed to do is tell you where your boost peaks. So don't set it tight or as Rarly says it would screw the boost needle up too.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

Problem is AFAIK you can't set it at all - NHS tolds me I need to send my VDO tell-tale in for repair and calibrating - it is too loose.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I guess I should say the reason I'm curious abot the Horse power on the car is that since I'm unable to drive the dang thing(it's just kill'in me), I've been thinking back to cars I've owned in the past,... trying to get an idea of what this car will be like. I'm figgering the Exhaust is probably worth about 20 hp or so. So I can guesstimate I'm about 320 hp plus whatever a 1 bar spring gives me. Problem is I have not read anywhere about what the spring actually means performance wise.

I'm not looking to go nuts with upgrades and create a modified monster. I want a fun driver. I kinda figured an upgraded intercooler was gonna be something to look into. In fact I've been reading up on those already.

Thanks for all the input
Old 02-09-2007, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If your engine is a bone stock '81 (300HP) Euro with headers and 1.0bar of boost my guess would be a peaky 330-340HP at the crank. The reason I say that is because the stock turbo and stock intercooler are holding back the potential gains of the headers and boost spring.

A new aftermarket turbo and intercooler would really wake your car up, possibly another 30HP worth.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by moochie
I guess I should say the reason I'm curious abot the Horse power on the car is that since I'm unable to drive the dang thing(it's just kill'in me), I've been thinking back to cars I've owned in the past,... trying to get an idea of what this car will be like. I'm figgering the Exhaust is probably worth about 20 hp or so. So I can guesstimate I'm about 320 hp plus whatever a 1 bar spring gives me. Problem is I have not read anywhere about what the spring actually means performance wise.

I'm not looking to go nuts with upgrades and create a modified monster. I want a fun driver. I kinda figured an upgraded intercooler was gonna be something to look into. In fact I've been reading up on those already.

Thanks for all the input
Don't spend too much time at these websites if you don't want to go nuts with upgrades and create a monster. Because soon enough you will find yourself spending every spare moment analysing all the naughty things you can do to make your car go faster. I know I do.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks RarlyL8,
That's what I was wanting to know. A new IC is in the plan. The car already has the boost spring, so I ought to get the IC to be safe.
I figured things like an upgraded turbo would be done on an as needed basis. Ofcourse I bet a lot of people start out thinking like that, and before ya know it they've built a fire breathing beast
Old 02-09-2007, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Nice Ride

I see we have similar taste in cars. Mine is an 85.

Keep the mods to a minimum for a year. Learn the car and how to drive it. Take it to the track (where this photo was taken) and see what it can do in a relatavily safe environment.

When you are ready for mods start with the bolt-ons (InterCooler, Turbo, ...) and work towards insanity from there. If you ever drop the engine, you will eventually spend more on upgrades than you spent to buy the car. But once you are truely hooked on these cars there is not much choice.

You will soon be an addict. There is no 12 step program for this one. If you care about keeping your wife and/or your banker happy then sell the car now before you drive it. If not, welcome to the club. Just keep telling yourself it is cheaper than a needle.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Initially, I would spend my money on suspension upgrades, replace all bushings,etc, get it to handle, and spend some time on the track learning how to drive the car. Get some better brake pads as well.
Then I would start on the slippery slope of power upgrades, either go back to a stock spring or make the intercooler the priority buy, it will be cheap insurance. Also make sure you have your AFR's where they need to be, again cheap insurance.

Julian Williams
Old 02-12-2007, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Whats' an AFR?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Air Fuel Ratio
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Whats' an AFR?
AFR = air/fuel ratio...VERY, VERY important in these or any motors

Another plug for either a aftermarket I/C ( intercooler) or go back to the stock spring for now.
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GT-35r turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
My $0.02: Get the stock spring, drive and enjoy the car. That way, you know you won't be stressing the engine too much, and also get to know the car. Do a Porsche Club Drivers Education or two, and see if it's your thing. A little more time with the car will be the best way to plan out future mods if any. Any well-instructed track time in a 930 can do wonders for helping you keep the car on the road during spirited drives. These cars aren't known for being kind to driver errors.

An intercooler upgrade is money well spent, and so is a newer turbo, suspension parts, brakes, etc etc...

Beautiful car, by the way.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks RarlyL8,
That's what I was wanting to know. A new IC is in the plan. The car already has the boost spring, so I ought to get the IC to be safe.
I figured things like an upgraded turbo would be done on an as needed basis. Ofcourse I bet a lot of people start out thinking like that, and before ya know it they've built a fire breathing beast
Good luck with your new car, it looks great. As others here have said be careful with mods. They are addicting as is speed and handling. It is the proverbial snowball going down the mountain, it just keeps getting bigger and going faster till it hits the bottom then BOOM. But what a ride!!!

Regards,
65 Chev Nova 385 Race, 85 Chevy Rollback
97 Ford Exp. EB, 90, 91 Toy PU
Old 02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: