Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Impossible Clutch!

Hey guys,

After about 800-1000 miles of driving and smooth first 500 of break in, my car is still VERY hard to drive.

Car:
98 Supercharged
SPEC Clutch with lightened flywheel.

The stock clutch wasn't bad at all but this new SPEC clutch was supposed to not be so difficult.

Symptoms:
* The engagement point is VERY high, almost at full pedal release (the hardest part to let out slowly) I heard this can't be adjusted much.

* The total enagement travel length feels like 1-2 inches (not a bad thing but just adds to the difficulty)

* It grabs immediately but without the kinetic energy of the heavy flywheel, you have to keep the RPM's very high to not stall.

Question: What options are out there these days to provide some clutch assistance?

I heard you can install a hydralic clutch assist system like in the 996 and 997 but that can't be cheap.

Anything else?

~ Sore left leg
Old 02-11-2007, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I run a SPEC Stage3+ clutch in my blown Carrera and I experienced the same as you for around the first 1K miles... as it broke in more and more, it did start getting easier to engage, but still, it can be a b!tch in stop/go traffic

I'd probably go with a Kennedy Engineering solution next time.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Merv,

You have more info on the Kennedry Engineering solution and what would make it different?

They have anything online for information?

Chris
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It is because of the Spec unit. We stopped using them a year ago. We are back to KEPs.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Chris, they use a heavy duty aluminium pressure plate with an OEM 930 spring centered disc. Torque capability is in the 600lb/ft region and they make them for the G50 or 930 boxes, in stage 1 or 2 options in various clamping forces.

I've never used one but heard good things about them.

Stephen supplies them
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Merv, I had a bad experience with kennedy, their pressure plate kept blowing the hydraulic sys on my C4-T and I eventually went with a centerforce (dont laugh) because of the almost stock pressure plate. Im using a 4puck Clutch masters for my slant nose now (cable). Besides my instance I have heard many good things about kennedy
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-12-2007, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
I run a SPEC Stage3+ clutch in my blown Carrera and I experienced the same as you for around the first 1K miles... as it broke in more and more, it did start getting easier to engage, but still, it can be a b!tch in stop/go traffic

I'd probably go with a Kennedy Engineering solution next time.
I have the same SPEC3+ clutch in my carrera and it has gotten better over the last 3K miles but I think it will always take a educated foot. I have no problem with clutch height or travel but I believe these can be adjusted to satisfy your needs.

Regards,
Gerry
65 Chev Nova 385 Race, 85 Chevy Rollback
97 Ford Exp. EB, 90, 91 Toy PU
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My foot is reasonably "educated" (LOL) with the SPEC unit, but still, there are rare occassions where I'd stall from the lights or launch very roughly. Quite embarrassing when there's a hot looking chick beside you
Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
My foot is reasonably "educated" (LOL) with the SPEC unit, but still, there are rare occassions where I'd stall from the lights or launch very roughly. Quite embarrassing when there's a hot looking chick beside you
I am too old and poor for a "Hot Chick" beside me but if I did have one I would tell her about the racing clutch I have and then demonstrate the reason I have said clutch. When she stops screaming she will have forgotten about the slight stall at the traffic light and so will I. If you have big bucks you can try a multi disc setup. Good luck and enjoy (especially the hot chicks).

Best regards,
Gerry
65 Chev Nova 385 Race, 85 Chevy Rollback
97 Ford Exp. EB, 90, 91 Toy PU
Old 02-17-2007, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I have the KEP stage 2, 6 puck Patrick Motorsports clutch disk and the Patrick Motorsports lightened steel flywheel...and when I am starting off in first gear...it grabs so hard that it feels like the motor and transmission is about to come out of the car...very violent...and when the car is moving some it is ok...and it shifts fine in other gears...

Its only when I am at a dead stop...You mean I have 1k miles to go before it gets better?
1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: