Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ebay at it again....

I looked at this car in Fl for approx 28,500. I talked to both previous owners. The last owner let the car sit off and on for several years outside in an airport parking lot. The whole underside of the engine and all fastners are covered in rust. The front bumper and hood have been repainted due to extensive rock damage...the broker that was selling it in Fl decided to send it to the auction after I pointed out all the rust underneath, he apparently had some standards...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160085027479
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well the dealer photos appear good, no fading on black exterior or burgandy interior, engine is clean on top! What else did you find out after personal inspection?
Peugeot moped
Old 02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
That car looks fab.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-13-2007, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Car does look awesome from the photos, I think that is what is so deceiving. The car sat outside in an airport parking lot baking in the sun for several years, paint has been heavily buffed, dash and rear shelf were very warpped. I did not like the repaint of the hood and bumper, avg quality. The biggest part was all of the rust underneath, I do all of my own work and every nut and bolt underneath that car was coated in rust. There was also rust up in the inside of the shock housing in the rear of the car (car not shock). I just kept thinking what else am I going to find when I start working on this. The body was very straight, and other than the dash and rear shelf, the interior was very good. This is just my opinion. I think they could disclose the repaint, very easy to see. Maybe I am just to picky, but the car that I ended up buying from the same guy for 30k with only 33k miles was much better. I have to give the Fl broker credit, when he saw all of the rust, he sold the car at an auction two days later.

Maybe they replaced the dash, repainted the hood and bumper...

Oh, and it actually had three owners...I spoke with the second and third.

Last edited by timc; 02-13-2007 at 04:13 AM..
Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A few years ago I put a deposit down on a car that this dealer had for sale. A '93 964 C2 if I remember correctly. I was more than severl hours away so after talking with the sales guy and he explaining how prestine the car was I had them take it to a reputable local p-car shop for a PPI. The 3rd party shop didn't even get that far into the inspection before calling me and telling me that the odometer wasn't connected and that there was really no way of knowing how many miles were on my 28k mile beauty. That plus he was seeing interior wear that was much more consistent with a high mileage car.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: