Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911 User

Garage
3.3 turbo w/50k

I am trying to figure out the longevity of the 3.3 turbo 911 motor.SCs and Carreras are very solid high mileage motors with correct maintenance.What about these turbo motors.
Lets say a car with 50k miles,engine always serviced,all records,adult owned,PCA member owned non dealer sale,pampered car.Will this car need an engine rebuild at 60k ? or whats the general life expectancy ?

mark
'49 VW Bug-25hp
Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I've heard of them going past 150k without a problem with regular maintenance. But the problem is just that one missed shift.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The PO of my car did an engine rebuild at 92k. I called the shop that did all the work and they said the engine did not need it at all. The owner mostly wanted an excuse to upgrade and modify.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Any modifications? I think this is one of the main reasons these cars may not last as long. The other being maintenance. A completely stock car with regular maintenance and service, I believe, will last 150k miles easy. As long as it isn't beat on and no mis-shifts, burnouts, etc. I think it's the mods that take life away from your motor and this isn't always the case. Depends on the extent of the mods. But generally the more HP you squeeze out of your engine the shorter the lifespan IMO.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mark,

If the car is left stock and driven sensibly, it will last a long, long time. I have seen cars that went between 150k and 200k. Granted, not many turbos get driven daily, so this kind of mileage is rare.

Like any car, they are best not left sitting for months on end, they need to be properly warmed up before being driven hard and they are NOT drag cars. Think of it this way; warm them up thoroughly, use them as originally intended, to get from point A to point B quickly (a fair distance here, not just a squirt up through the gears for half a mile) and cool them down slowly before parking.

I've seen idiots hammer them through the gears within a minute of starting them. I've also seen people jack up the boost and destroy them from detonation. That can happen quicker than most people can hear the knocking and react to it. These are the cars that get rebuilt before 100k.

Maintenance is important. Aside from the routine stuff that's in the owner's manual, they need to be looked after by somebody that is familiar with the 930. You need to keep an eye out for intake leaks and other things like that. These cars are getting old now, so pulling the engine for a service allows you to take care of a lot of little things that deteriorate slowly over time.

JR
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

On the topic of maintenance.

While adjusting valves on my new purchase I notice the air pump belt was loose and not the correct toothed type. I plan on doing an extensive cleaning of the engine compartment and replacing all the vacuum hoses and check all the electrical connections.

This is my first 930 and I managed to tune it up enough to pass CA smog but I noticed the numbers were a little high across the board.
I think this was caused by the loose air pump and maybe the aged CAT.

My car has 125K with fresh top-end rebuild-- P/Cs were in spec. and reused with new rings. This tells me the car was not abused. Although the wrench did miss tightening the air pump belt.

I plan on driving it regularly.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Me like track days

*Documented oil changes and a thorough pre-purchase inspection incl. compression and leakdown*
Old 02-14-2007, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My 87 was sold to me with a bad odometer (cracked gear), but the seller claimed that it is a ~180K car that had never been rebuilt. I later found out through some compilation of service records that the odometer went bad @ ~45K and the actual mileage is closer to ~90K. After 2 yrs of no issues passing GA emissions, and good performance, I've recently pulled the motor to fix a rear seal leak, among other oil leaks. A cold leakdown test showed ~18% in 1 cylinder with all of the rest under 6%. IMO it would have run another 40-50K with proper maintenance, but I'm doing the rebuild.

I'll agree that these are easy 150000 mile + cars with good upkeep and good driving habits.

Pat K
87 939 Slant
Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Modifications on a stock motor can reduce overall longevity. i looked 3 years for my car during which time i would often see blown or rebuilt motors on 930's, mostly around 50K miles. Often i'd call the owners and invariably discovered that the car had been modified, sometimes heavily prior to rebuilt. But what has already been said is true. Warm up times on these cars is essential. My car always performs better after being driven around for a couple of hours rather than 20/30 mins. Routine maintnance is just as important. My car has 55K with the original clutch, and it still grabs well. Peolple are always in a rush to add mods. to these cars as they are often "bolt-ons". It made it a challenge to find a stock version. The term "adult driven" is probably more important on this type of car than any other to ensure longevity. hope this helps.
"it's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma" Winston Churchill.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Me like track days

^Really decent advice^
Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
911 User

Garage
Great Info !

Thanks Everyone !
'49 VW Bug-25hp
Old 02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My car with only 60k miles just did my 2nd rebuild. I play so don't mine to pay.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: