Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 Repair & Maintenance Cost

I am seriously considering replacing my stock '87 Carrera with 97k miles with a '87 930 with 67k. Are the general repair and maintenance costs for the 930 that significantly higher or is that just urban legend? If they are higher, why? Cost of parts? 930 are just more "fincky" and "high maintenance?

1987 3.2 Carmine Red Carrera
1995 Midnight Blue 993 C4
1957 Silver Speedster Outlaw (replica)
Old 02-23-2007, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi,
I have had my 930 for appx 5 years with no major issues and I drive it often. Maintenance has averaged 1.5 to 2k per year. However, I may go beyond the call of duty when it comes to maintenance because it is my hobby too. Of course maintenance includes tires and some unnecessary upgrades too. These cars are very well built but are getting older. Thus, you may initially have to resolve some issues with any newly acquired 930
Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: 930 Repair & Maintenance Cost

Quote:
Originally posted by mkimber
I am seriously considering replacing my stock '87 Carrera with 97k miles with a '87 930 with 67k. Are the general repair and maintenance costs for the 930 that significantly higher or is that just urban legend? If they are higher, why? Cost of parts? 930 are just more "fincky" and "high maintenance?
Mostly, it's just people passing on crap they "learn" on the internet, I suppose. I have owned both regular 911s and 930s for over 20 years and I have found that the 930s aren't much different. They certainly aren't finicky, or temperamental.

When doing a valve adjustment, there are a few more things to remove, so it takes a little longer, but that's about it. I usually pull the air pump and lines off a 930 at the first service, which helps.

Brake pads and rotors are a little higher, but then, I don't replace those often. There are other things that are a little more expensive to replace on a 930 (e.g., rear wheel bearings) but they fall into the category of probably never needing replacement.

Most people spend money in one of two areas. They buy a less-than-perfect 930 and spend money to get it sorted out. Don't buy someone else's problem; just wait for a nice one. Or, they feel that they have to modify the car and spend money on cams, an exhaust, an intercooler, a turbo, yada, yada, yada. Skip this and enjoy the car. It will be worth more money in the long term if you leave it stock. They are fast enough. If you want to go faster than a stock 930 is capable of, buy a newer Porsche turbo.

I'd steer clear of buying someone else's modified car. There are a lot of aftermarket parts that just aren't the same quality as the stock ones. Stainless steel exhausts come to mind, here. The aftermarket crap will usually develop cracks, sooner or later. There's a lot of poor workmanship to be found on modified cars. Also, it's hard to hurt a stock 930 but not so hard to ruin a modified one. Lot's of them get hammered by their owners. I know of one locally I wouldn't have if you gave it to me. It looks nice but if you saw how it was driven....

JR
Old 02-23-2007, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sound advice and opinions above.

However, if you are like me, and don't do much of the maintenance or troubleshooting and fixing yourself, the key is to have a shop close by that really knows these cars. I had an issue with my ignition box right after I had purchased my car. Since I did not know any better, I took the car back to the dealer, who as it turns out had no clue either and had me get a new WUR to replace a perfectly good one (as it turned out when B. Leask checked it out) and did some analysis until paralysis for which they charged me close to $2,500. Another outfit fixed my original problem but caused another one down the road. To cut a long story short, I have discovered a rock solid Porsche shop in my area that now does all my work. The co-owner has been building Porsche engines for the last 28 years and I no longer have to worry about questionable workmanship.

So, my point is: Availability of unquestionable knowledge, solid skills and experience in maintaining these cars is really important. If this is not available, it can get expensive.

1989 930 - 3.5l - M48 - G64/51
Old 02-23-2007, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Since I purchased mine almost two years ago, I have been keeping track of ALL fo the bits I've spent on it. I'm under $2K of regular maintenance. That includes the tools I've purchased to make these happen (valve adjustment feeler gauge, fuel pressure tester, oil line wrench..etc).

In that is my 20K mile tuneup which I also did myself, that alone was about $500 in parts. I think overall the car is a much 'sounder' investment as you will see most of the core cost of the car back when you sell it.

Between the two cars, I doubt very much that you will see a difference in maintenance cost. You already have aPcar budget I assume.. go for it.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 02-23-2007, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Martin, JR, Olli, and Mark--Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughtful and detailed responses. The information you provided was exactly what I was looking for.

1987 3.2 Carmine Red Carrera
1995 Midnight Blue 993 C4
1957 Silver Speedster Outlaw (replica)
Old 02-24-2007, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: