Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Me like track days

Also an interesting discussion with successful results as seen at the end - it will help you understand the tuning (and learning) process:

87 930 engine rebuild dyno results!

Last edited by Craig 930 RS; 03-01-2007 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Me like track days

Contained in the above link, taking care of the mid range richness nets you this - before/after:

Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Me like track days

All about WURs.

I cannot get a direct link to the WUR section, so here it is copied/pasted from http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm#MFI10 all rights reserved, etc:

The Warm-up-Regulator

Figure 6.5 shows a diagram of a warm up regulator.
The connections shown in figure 6.5, marked with blue arrows are listed below:
A Vacuum connection
(inlet manifold)
B Return to fuel tank
C Control pressure
(from fuel distributor)

This simple device is responsible for controlling the amount of fuel delivered to the engine during it's warm-up period. The pressure acting upon the top of the control plunger varies depending on the engine temperature and provides an effective method of enrichment.
The control pressure is tapped off from the primary pressure circuit in the metering head's lower chamber through a tiny restrictive hole which gives it the ability to differentiate between the two pressures. A flexible pipe then connects the control plunger gallery to the warm-up-regulator and returns back to the metering head to a connection next to the primary pressure regulator's transfer valve. This valve is in the circuit to close the fuel from the control circuit when the engine is off, avoiding the total loss of system pressure while the engine is stationary.

The internals of the warm-up-regulator are quite simple comprising an inlet and outlet port, a stainless steel shim, a bi-metalic heated strip and a spring.

The input to the warm-up-regulator flows into a small chamber in the top of the unit, its return is through a small drilling and back to the metering head. By controlling this return flow it will cause a change in pressure acting on the top of the control plunger. With a cold engine the flow must be fairly free giving it a lower pressure. This will allow a higher lift of the plunger which in turn will enrich the mixture under these conditions. The free flow is obtained by the internal bi-metalic strip exerting a downward pressure on the spring which decreases the pressure acting upon the shim, this lower force allows the fuel to flow almost uninterrupted.

As the bi-metalic strip is heated, by either it's heater element or natural heat soak from the engine, the downward pressure acting on the spring is gradually decreased, increasing the force of the spring, which in turn increases the control pressure.

Typical cold engine control pressure will be as low as 1.0 bar increasing over approx. 10 minutes to around 3.5 bar. Some warm-up-regulators have a vacuum connection that will sense a drop in vacuum and lower the control pressure during these acceleration periods.

The voltage supply to the regulator is from the fuel pump relay, because if the ignition was on without the engine running, all enrichment would be removed as the bi-metalic strip would be heated prematurely and the driver would not benefit from the cold engine enrichment.

The two pipes that connect to the warm-up-regulator have different sized 'banjo unions' to avoid them being connected incorrectly. The control pressures quoted are as an example only and reference should be made to the technical data as these pressures can be specific to the part number located on the unit's housing.
This unit will have a resistance value of approximately 20 to 26 Ohms.

NOTE :- it is important to disconnect the electrical connection to the unit before any pressure testing on the control circuit is performed as this will prematurely heat the bi-metalic strip and cold control pressures will not be available.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Me like track days

Stock CIS:
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

I found an older Pelican post from Brian:

[Hello,

I offer the service of making your 930 WUR fully adjustable. I rebuild the unit and modify it, adding adjustment features for the cold, warm, and full-throttle enrichment control pressures. I also provide a means of adjusting the full-throttle enrichment threshold (the point at which the WUR enriches based upon manifold pressure). All of the adjustment hardware used is high quality stainless steel for longevity without rust or corrosion. Before shipping it back to you, I can set your WUR to exact factory specs or whatever settings you desire. If you provide me your engine details, I can offer my suggestions for custom control pressure settings and set the unit accordingly. A 12 page color instruction sheet is included with each unit that details each adjustment feature and documents your particular WUR settings.

Please contact me for more information.

Brian Leask
bleask@cox.net]
Peugeot moped
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig 930 RS
They really pump out the fuel. HUGE quantities of it.
I assume you have the RPM switch.
I need to update my signature. I don't have a adj. WUR or the switch yet. My car is still in pieces.

Maybe I am holding out a for a digital WUR...

I hope one is released soon anyway.

I miss the power...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Brian Leask's website.
http://members.cox.net/930wur/
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Me like track days

Thanks - I could not find it
Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
Guys,

Looking at Craigs WUR diagram..My car had a vacuum line from port #A to the air cleaner plenum. When I removed the plenum and installed the BMC type aircleaner, that port then vented to the atmosphere. I bought a small air cleaner and installed in on the port to keep out foreign objects and water. Should this be connected to the intake manifold so it can read positive and negative intake manifold pressures. ???? Also I purchased a new CIS book last night and read a couple of chapters. It called the WUR a Control Pressure regulator...I will buy the CIS checkout gage and fitting this weekend so be ready with all the answers....OK Thanks fella's

Bob
Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Me like track days

It just vents to atmosphere - thing is, if the WUR massively fails, it will dump fuel from this port.....so carefully choose which way that thing is pointed
Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Me like track days

Robert wasn't able to post his diagram, so I did it for him - here ya go Robert:

Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Fella's,

Craig posted my revised diagram and I added some pressure check points that I believe are the same points in the manual that should be checked (system wise) I also wanted to know If I need to check fuel pressure right out of the pump. Craig has already told me that the WUR vent should go to the atmosphere. I was wondering which vacuum line from the WUR goes to the intake manifold? Doe any local auto stores sell the CIS pressure gauge? NAPA etc.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Me like track days

Well, it 'goes to atmosphere' if you don't have a spot on the intake for it.
If he WUR does fail with regards to fuel -- gas will come out.

Happened 2X to a local boy
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Robert, www.jcwhitney.com sell them cheap.

I think it is this one, hopefully someone who knows will comment.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000160266/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000160266/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000160266

Last edited by NathanUK; 03-03-2007 at 10:08 AM..
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Me like track days

Rob -

Check your timing, too!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Craig, Nathan,

What should the timing be with 91 octane gas? I have the specs for a 3.0L. but not a 3.3L Turbo. Also because my car has 100K on it I bought a leakdown tester this weekend. I want to check the compression and pressure decay rate.

Harbor Freight has a Fuel Injection checker?????? for $35. Cant say I have a great deal of respect for Chinese made anything..I wonder if it is reasonably accurate...~5 lbs might be OK. They have some stuff which is OK. kinda rather get a good one. What do you guys think?

Bob
Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage

Old 03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Got a link for that checker ? AFAIK you are best to send them away to have them checked/cleaned.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Craig

Bob
Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Ahem.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: