Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Twins are more fun!

Question Help me with my build sheet?

OK guys, I was going to do a simple bolt-on turbo conversion on my 3.2 Carrera, but am now thinking I might go down the rebuild path so I can run more boost.

Car will be mainly street, but also monthly track events.

After a LOT of reading and thinking, this is what I'm considering, so please feel free to throw in your advice/experiences as it would be much appreciated:

MOTOR :-

- ARP head/rod fasteners
- bore out my 95mm jugs to 98mm & replate in Nikasil
- slip in forged JE's with 7.5:1 C/R
- Nerosist cylinders and heads for aluminium sealing ring to handle big boost
- twin plug & port/polish the heads
- bigger piston squirters
- 930 turbo oil pump
- 993 crank to stroke it to 3.5L
- extrude hone Carrera intake for even flow across runners
- GT2 CAMs
- racing valve springs
- titanium retainers
- new turbo spec valve guides
- full bay 28" x 12" x 4" tube&fin intercooler

Exhaust/Turbo:

- modified OBX 321 s/steel headers with a Burns T4 collector & larger wastegate pipe for 60mm TiAL w/gate
- custom Borla XR1 muffler (v-band, single 4" in/outlet)
- Garrett GT40R ball-bearing turbo (maybe 0.95 or 1.06 A/R?). I'm thinking a stroked 3.5L with GT2 CAMs shouldn't be too lazy for this size turbo?

EFI/EMS:

- undecided as yet. Maybe Protomotive MAP ECU for ease, or an Autronic aftermarket system.

Clutch:

- I've heard good things about the KEP G50 HD kit.

Advice/opinions please?

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)
Old 02-23-2007, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Porsche-911-Carrera-84-89-Turbo-Kit_W0QQitemZ250087826200QQihZ015QQcategoryZ102344 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

WHOA! Looks great... but I want to run over 1.3bar with my new build and the GT30R is not sufficient for the power levels I want to run. That is an impressive kit tho!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Mahle's are the best P&C's according to these boards.

Maybe consider going twin turbo for less lag as you are reducing the C/R alot.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-24-2007, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Yeh, I considered twins, but the cost to have a custom set of 1 5/8" TT headers is too prohibitive. I prefer to stay with a big single and combat the lag factor with nice CAMs and fully programmed map sensing EFI and a ball-bearing turbo etc...

I decided on 7.5:1 because I want to run 1.3-1.4bar. A higher base C/R will limit my max boost somewhat. The stroked 3.5L should provide nice torque down low, so I'm told

Although, a pair of GT3071R BB units would be awesome

Last edited by JMA-RUF; 02-24-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nice build list! Since I am doing an exercise similar to yours I have a couple of thoughts:

Have you compared the 3.6 993 crank with a 3.6RS crank?
I was adviced that the 3.6RS crank would be the easiest to balance.
Although I have seen a 993 crank I no longer remember if the throws/counterbalances are as narrow as the 3.6RS crank, which are much narrower than the stock 930 crank's counterbalances. One also realizes a weight reduction of approx. 6-7 lb over the 930 crank. Not sure about the 993 crank.

For the low end torque the 76.4 stroke will be helpful I'm told, but I was also advised that a modded GT35R turbo with a small hotside A/R (~0.65-0.68) with a clipped Q-Trim wheel will be helpful in getting both low- and high end power.

Then just a question: I've noticed that everyone gets the titanium retainers. Are they really necessary? I know the racing springs are, but would the steel retainers be just as good, although slightly heavier?

1989 930 - 3.5l - M48 - G64/51

Last edited by oms930; 02-28-2007 at 06:49 PM..
Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
what? me worry?

Quote:
Yeh, I considered twins, but the cost to have a custom set of 1 5/8" TT headers is too prohibitive
We took an existing set of B&Bs and modified them for twin turbo use. So they are not pure "one off" custom headers, and dont carry that price hit.

We cut them after the collectors, added a bit of pipe and the flanges for the turbos. The passenger side turbo needs to be re-clocked and some clearancing done on the motor mounts.

Look here for some pics of the install.

Id up the C/R to 8.5 with EFI you have much better control over your AFR so you can take advantage of higher boost levels, other than that your build sheet looks fine.
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 02-24-2007, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Olli, thanks for the tips. I'll research the RS3.6 crank. I'm just not sure how readily available those are. 993 cranks come up from time to time on EBay, so those are easier to source

As for the titanium retainers, everyone uses those and I guess if the car was going to see lots of track time, you might as well have that extra insurance. For a daily street motor, it's not worth it I'd say.

TimT, that is an awesome setup you have there! The problem I have with rear mounted turbos is placement of mufflers. We have very strict EPA laws down here and I need a properly muffled system. If the turbo's were mounted to the side of the motor (near #1 and #4 cylinders), I could use one of those oval Magaflow dual in/out muffler cans for ease.

I wonder if there are any NA headers with the collectors just before #1 and #4 cyl's?

Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: