Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mic
Turbonetics GT-K ..Anyone seen one yet?

I am curious of the new Turbonetics GT-K. Does anyone know if they are available yet? Anyone have tried one?

turbonetics gt-k
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Looks like some innovative engineering to broaden the map. Just what our engines need. I wonder if there are any trade offs.

They use the term bleed. I suspect that the compresor "regurgetates" the inlet charge through the ports to avoid low speed surge. Interesting.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I think the ports do the same as the Garrett anti-surge compressor housing. However, it looks to me that it was a post manufacture change made on a regular compressor housing (i.e. drilled out). Unfortunately the A/Rs are fixed (i.e. .68 for a GTK650) - however, i am looking for quick street spooling anyway. I have been considering a GT4088R, but I am thinking of trying the GTK. From the sizing, it seems that the GTK-550 is between a GT35R and a GT40R.

Just got a response back from a vendor this morning...
I am considering a GTK650 but I may be waiting a month for the order. But some GTKs are shipping -- He has one GTK550 in stock.

Anyone recommend a vendor?

Last edited by mic; 02-26-2007 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The GTK 650 is pretty comparable to the GT4094R, but spools quicker with a ceramic bearing options VS the Garrett bb option. Either one of those I'll use on my next project, just depends on which one I can get a bigger discount on

I'm currently working on getting my T-account open, but I'm getting flack for bearing a Garrett dealer too. Just sucks because both companies offer an overlapping range of maps to cover just about any application.

Marketing schemes suck
Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just found out that the GTK 650 uses a T3 hot housing. Unfortunately I have a T4 header flange.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mic
I just found out that the GTK 650 uses a T3 hot housing. Unfortunately I have a T4 header flange.

The newer turbine flow rates are so go that you can drop the housing a/r and still get great spool AND good top end flow rates. The really small a/r's drop to a t3 flange.

You can either weld on a t3 flange, or get/make an adapter.

I actually have this specific adapter drawn up in solidworks for non-pcar specific projects. I can convert it to something you could use on say emachine's website to get one made cheap. Whipped it up for a different t4-3 conversion in the past(Rajay to Turbonetics)
Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Just use the TiAL T3T4FLISS adapter, which converts from T3 to T4. It's a very high quality piece. It's only $60 too

I'm surprised a turbo of that size uses a T3 turbine housing
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
For a long term solution, I dont like the idea of the T3T4 adaptor. I think I will loose exhaust flow capacity and may get increased exhaust (header/heads) temperatures due to reduced exhaust flow.
Although these are ceramic BB turbos, i think i would loose some spoolup due to the restriction.
I think that i should consider a turbonetics T66 with ceramic BB and large shaft. (actually slightly cheaper than the GTK).
Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Turbonetics talks big but, I have yet to see any proof that they trample the GT series like they say. They might be comparable to GT series turbos. As huge as Garrett is and as much time, effort, money, engineering, and high tech equipment as they used to design the GT series, I have a hard time believing Turbonetics has come up with some new "revolutionary" stuff.

Just FYI, Precision Turbo and sever other turbo retailers/builders have done the drilled compressor housing anti-surge conversion for years. It's nothing new. These turbos look to me to be little more than some redesigned wheels with modded and painted compressor housings. I guess at this point it's all speculation until we see more people using the GT-K series.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Mike, don't underestimate flow capability of a T3 turbine. There are several sizes of T3 turbines to choose from, Stage I (one) is the smallest and stage V (5) which is the largest. The stage 5 is nominally only 0.125" smaller in diameter than the TO4 middle size "P" turbine, yet about equally larger than the small TO4 "O" turbine. Also note that the Stage 5 has an outlet dia which is about 0.100" larger in diameter than a K27 turbine. The T3 Stage 5 has far less mass and will spool faster as a result. It's really worth seeing the two side by side to understand how little mass the T3 turbine has compared to TO4 turbines. I will say one thing though, you have a really BIG displacement engine, so you could be headed for TO4 gear, but the one size up from P is the Q turbine and I believe it's intended for V8 size displacement with a single turbo. I recall your recent posts where you mention street drivng response was your main concern so perhaps the stage 5 will suffice. If not, sell it and buy an alternate. This is a drop in the bucket compared to what you have invested in your engine. Call it R&D. I used to spend $350 on a housing, now the whole turbo only costs $750! Turbonetics that is.

On a different but similar topic I would like somone WITH turbo manufacturing history to chime in and clarify. I started building custom turbo datsuns and toyotas starting in 1982 or 83 through to 1990. Over the course of time I bought a number of turbos, rajay, Garret, Schwitzer, but the most versatile brand was Garret which had the widest selection of domestic components and supporing tech info. The Garret name eventually disappeared and was replaced by, non other than,... wait...wait.... hold on....

TURBONETICS! Same products.

Now, a few years go by, and guess who's back in business! GARRET!

So, what the heck happened?

Note that Turbonetics was selling split vane BB turbos back in about 87, and in the prior version of Garret there was even a bunch of BB with variable vane but these seem to have died due to reliability of the vane mechanism in the harsh exhaust environment. It really comes down to a match of components to achieve the result you want, and turbonetics gear seems economic, and has some history. I don't think the products are flacky, but the marketing may be.

Jim
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Jim:
I agree with what you are saying but the GTk650 uses the P trim (regular wheels?) so I am not sure if it would have similar efficency to the GTk550 with the STG 5 compressor wheel. Also i must consider that my headers are T4 and i think there would be a flow efficency compromise by going with a T3/T4 the adapter into the T3 inlet of the GTK as well (but i am considering it) However, I am considering trying a GTK with an adapter but i am still not sold on the benefits of their 'ceramic' BB and whether they are much more efficent than than a T4 Garrett. Consequently, I still havent written off the GT4088R turbo. I alsolooked at big shaft turbonetics but I dont need to go that way and it they will have reduced spool up (like you say) compared to the T4 GTseries Garretts.

So the trade off for me is go Turbonetics GTK with T3/T4 adaptor ( possible loss in exhaust flow efficency) compared to a T4 GT4088R. (which is suppose to be nice spooling anyways). However, one benefit with the GTKs not mentioned yet is that they are only Oil cooled (no water jacket) unlike the GT series garretts that are Oil/water cooled.

Other considerations....
Interesting enough - we can add Tial into the picture. I was looking at their sweet SS turbine housings with V-Band on the inlet. A fabulous consideration for a TT configuration. I have a 993 twin plug with RSR rockers and need to service valves. So when I go to TwinTurbo I am highly considering going with a pair of GT28s with tial SS housings with Vband INLET and outlet. This will provide an easier access to the lower valves. And I must mention that tial has T31 turbine housings for the GTseries.

mike.

Last edited by mic; 02-28-2007 at 08:04 AM..
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Jim:
BTW: Could you cobble up a T3/T4 adapter for me? And a k27 outlet to 3" Vband. I need to mount a K27 housing turbo (temperarily) to finish up my motor for the season.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mike, on a 3.8l a Gt4088r would certainly spool up pretty darn quick compared to it's high power output capability.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Mike, no problem with these adapters, but we should discuss them before I set to it. What stage is your engine installation at? At your place?

Also, the aperature in exhaust housings where the "A" (area) in A/R is measured is far smaller than the T3 flange opening, so the adapter does not restrict exhaust flow.

Jim
Old 02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
Not wanting to get a black eye for hyjacking your post, but it seems to me you guys could do yourself some service by posting some dyno numbers of the various turbo (installations) you're talking about.....

Short of that, you could venture over to your local drag strip (road courses have too many variables) and look at the ET #s before and after said turbo changes?

That way you're not talking without facts and figures to back up your changes(?)

Just a thought.....

regards---rhjames

Nothing like chasing down a late model Vette with a 27 year old 928!!!

Bill Maher 8/4/09--- "I'll show you Obama's birth certificate, when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma."
Old 03-02-2007, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Im just waiting to start my car, tune it, and see how my Gt-37R acts. When I get her going, I will post pictures, video, and dyno results to ad to the archives.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: