Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Got Boost?

protomotive turbo system

my friend is selling a system on ebay
if you do a search for porsche and protomotive you will see it
the system is complete and would be great for someone doing a turbo conversion to a 3.2 motor or for someone with a 3.3 turbo who wants EFI
SPA #227
Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Got Boost?

he just relisted the system
this time it is going no reserve
SPA #227
Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi, I just found the system on Ebay. I dispatched an email to the seller but if you could give me more info on it that would be great.

I'm new to turbocharging Porsches but not new to turbocharging. That being said I would like to know the specifics about the turbocharger and wastegate. What size is the compressor wheel? What A/R is the exhaust housing? What size is the wastegate? It appears to be an HKS wastegate, but I'm not 100% positive. Can you clarify this detail?

The motor this would be going toward is a 3.2 from the late 80s. Will these parts bolt directly up? How difficult do you think it would be to install this setup? I've developed competency with wrenches as I have a turbocharged vehicle of my own which has had two sets of turbos bail.

Will any other modifcations be necessary? Fuel for instance? I guess I should give more detail about the 911 it's going into. It is a 3.2L and is 100% bone stock. The transmission is a 915, will this be able to survive under the stresses of turbocharging? I assume a new clutch will be needed to survive at the new power level, can you make any recommendations?

Please excuse my ignorance, like I said I'm new to the world of Porsche turbocharging and wanted to know exactly what I would be getting into before I took the leap. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Your 915 does not have a prayer of holding this kind of power, not even within 150 horsepower of this kit!

You would need a new tranny, not a new clutch, I believe.

The intercooler requires a large tea tray rear spoiler, a '78 or newer turbo spoiler. It won't fit in a carrera rear spoiler.

Last edited by DDDD; 03-03-2007 at 06:37 PM..
Old 03-03-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up on the tranny. I suppose that's one more thing I should start looking for.

I also received a reply from the seller, he recommended I swap out for 3.3L pistons and cylinders.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I bought my 930 because my 3.2 carrera only has a 915 tranny and not a G50.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-03-2007, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

come on guys my 915 is still holding up along with raryl8's and many others its all in how you drive them

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4

*Reproduction 914-6 oil tank source* 2623647426
Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Before my 930 I had a euro sc that I blew up
Rebuilt that motor as a 3 liter intercooled turbo (turbo pistons and cylinders)
Butt dyno says that thing made about 300-350 hp
I ran a 915 with a heavy clutch and never had a problem
I have heard they will handle up to 400 hp
SPA #227
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jrottn
Before my 930 I had a euro sc that I blew up
Rebuilt that motor as a 3 liter intercooled turbo (turbo pistons and cylinders)
Butt dyno says that thing made about 300-350 hp
I ran a 915 with a heavy clutch and never had a problem
I have heard they will handle up to 400 hp
This package looks to be producing 500 hp at low boost, like .8 bar.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
like stated above, the 915's are better then their rep.

its torque that kills them, and not in the lower gears... its 5th that cannot handle bags of torque, so avoid a truly high speed run.

i know the side plate flexes too much in the lower gears, and that can make it hand grenade, however if you add the powerhaus2 side plate that issue should be solved.

you don't need a new tranny, just gotta make sure yours is up to the task. Chris Streit should be able to tell you how to strengthen your 915....and any comments he makes will be on the safe side.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

But do we think it's really necessary to goto 3.3L cylinders and pistons as the seller advised to make this work well? If amount of boost is becoming a factor I've noticed that many bolt-on 3.2L kits run around 0.7 bar and last with the standard compression ratio and fuel system. Not to mention different wastegate springs, bleed valves, and smaller turbochargers are all important. I just want to make sure this system will be able to bolt up to my motor, I can deal boost control from there.

After some research I'm also realizing I probably won't have to touch the 915 internally, which is a big plus.

Turbocharging my 3.2 has been in my mind for quite some time, but when the prospect of owning a Supra twin turbo came along I jumped at the chance. On that note, I already purchased an entirely OEM turbo system from a late 70s turbo car. I could always fab that, but this system interested me.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

One major questionmark is the fact that the EFI is tuned specifically for one exact engine set up by Protomotive. You need to replicate everything, down to the compression ratio and piston and boost pressure to achieve the same tuning.

Mess with any variables and you are not sure to get a similiar EFI response. The Bosch system is notoriously hard to program, and Protomotive is different than everybody else in that they use it. But whatever they set the kit to run at is exactly what you would want to run, I think.

I am not sure how much freedom you have to put random items on a prepackaged, specifically programmed Bosch EFI system. I am not at all sure what flexibility that the EFI offers.

It is like in the old days when people put better mufflers and headers and intakes on a standard EFI system only to discover that the EFI ran worse, not better.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

check out jbrinkley's turbo install on his 3.2 lots of good info

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4

*Reproduction 914-6 oil tank source* 2623647426
Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ah yea I forgot about wonderful little thing called DME and how much fun it must be to burn chips for optimum use. I recall when I was first setting out to turbocharge my 911, I called Powerhaus Racing to find out my options. They must have figured a kid (this was about 6 years ago and I was a sophomore or junior in high school) calling to talk about turbocharging a Porsche 3.2L was just wasted time and told me it couldn't possibly done because the Motronic system couldn't sense changes in pressure. If only I had a little more knowledge and the balls to call them out.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The OEM DME *IS* dumb when it comes to boost pressure. It doesn't have a built in MAP sensor, so it's completely unaware of boost/load. It's only aware of air flow & inlet air temp (which it then uses to calculate air density) & throttle position (even then, it's just basic throttle position such as idle, open or WOT).

These kits work by using a rising rate regulator which is "boost sensitive" and the DME CHIP has the modified fuel & ignition map for forced induction configuration.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yes, I understand this. I was just highlighting the fact that I was told it couldn't under any circumstances be done. Which is obviously incorrect.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

You are right in that respect MANY of us have turbocharged our 3.2's with phenomenal success
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: