Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by 930gt-40r
Now I have to share this story and please no one laugh. I was changing out the old heat exchangers off of the car I just recently sold, I Pb blasted everything etc etc. The barrels all came off thankfully, so Im down to the last 2 and i partially loosened them to try to move the heat exchangers loose- they wouldnt budge so I thought the were just stuck to the heads. Like a dumba$$, i get under there and drop the last 2 barrel nuts and about 3 seconds after the last one was out BANG! The origonal 50 lbs. + exchangers landed on my head and it hurt bad. It was total havoc as the drop light blew up at the same time from being crushed.
Try not to fall out of your chairs laughing because I still do from time to time.
Don't feel like you're the only one this stuff happens to. But, I'd like to take this opportunity to make a strong suggestion about those pesky drop lights. Get rid of them, and find a good flourescent or LED type light. In my line of work, I had the sad opportunity to see a guy lose his life-long collection of ultra rare, and virtually priceless vintage Porsche and VW parts from a fire that resulted from a drop light that burst and ignited a pan of oil under a car he was working on. He barely made it out himself, and it took thousands of gallons of water to extinguish the many magnesium blocks and cases, vintage upholstery and seats, NLA vintage tires and the partially and completely restored personal and customer cars.

It was a real bummer that was hard to believe could have been caused by something seemingly so benign.

Be careful out there guys....
Bullet Racing #22 GT3 Cup
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Thats enough to make me scream like a little school girl! OUCH! But the headers hitting my head/face really sucked- I got hit right above my right eye and looked like tyson after the Holyfield fight.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Slow and Rusty..... I didnt see the mounting bracket for the turbo bolted to the pulley housing...Did you not reuse it??? Is the turbo being supported by its mounting on the exhaust flange???
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jwmarc
Hey Slow and Rusty..... I didnt see the mounting bracket for the turbo bolted to the pulley housing...Did you not reuse it??? Is the turbo being supported by its mounting on the exhaust flange???
Yes you are 101% correct in that observation.

Yasin
Old 04-07-2007, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
I just modified the original one a bit to work with my K27, I like the idea of the extra support as I just had some cracks fixed under the turbo flange on the used B&B's I installed..

Last edited by GaryR; 04-08-2007 at 02:48 PM..
Old 04-07-2007, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

My B&B's are awful when it comes to cracking, I had to have my friend fab up a whole new collector under the turbo because it was so destroyed.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

O2 sensor location needs to be after the turbo, here is how I did it. This location requires you cut a hole in the engine tin so the tip of the sensor pokes thru and the wire can come up. I like this location since it keeps the wiring out of the weather and you can install or remove the sensor with the engine in the car.
And a word of advice, no matter where you put the sensor estimate the location, drill the hole then tac weld one spot on the bung. Install the muffler and o2 sensor... bend the bung to the exact angle you need before its completely welded.

Last edited by magic930; 04-08-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Old 04-08-2007, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Drove it about a 1/4 mile from the garage to the house/trailer and noticed the boost gauge pegged rather rapidly and seemed at 1/4 boost all the time. Is there something I could have done to the wastegate (or something else) during install to get it to read wrong? It didn't cut out with the gauge pegged so I assume (there is an overboost cut out, no?) that it's just the gauge or what feeds it.. Enlighten me please.. so much to learn.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

If it over boosted it should have a cut off, but is it the origonal wastegate? If it is over boosting what may have happened is the wastegate may have tweeked when it came of the car. In other words by taking it off and reinstalling it it may have tweeked the housing enough to make the piston stick. On the other hand, the factory boost gauge sender might be bad. I dont know- I would have to see it in order to make an educated diagnosis
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
It sounds like an electrical connection problem. It is impossible to get boost at idle...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I agree... where is the sending unit? Time to open the manual again.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The stock location is in the bypass system.
They are screwed in, it is larger than the safety switch.
On aftermarket setups they are screwed into the IC.
It might have a red boot covering it to protect it.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: