Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Re: 930 Value

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PAUL RODELO
[B]pavulon

Wonderful car it is. And in all my years of ownership....never once an issue with CIS. CIS only becomes an issue if you want over 400 bhp.

Your right, and I never had a problem with any of my cis motors. I just wish that the market view a modification such as EFI as an improvement to be paid for. CIS could be great and bettered if you send it to a company like Imagine, but EFI is just so much more responsive, fuel efficient, and drivable on top of the obvious gain in horse power.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-07-2007, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Re: 930 Value

Quote:
Originally posted by PAUL RODELO
pavulon

You stated,

"Looking at blk/blk <10K mile stock '89 930. Owner asking $66K. Can the Excellence market value somehow be extrapolated to such a car?"

I've owned my 79 930 since 99 with 57K miles and have driven over 120K additional miles myself. I own to drive. A low mileage 930 will only retain its value as long as it remains a LOW mileage 930.

As Craig 930 RS said, "What's it worth to you?" I agree the $66K is above the norm, but so is the car you are describing. If you are just looking at $$$ Gary R brings up a great comparison of vehicle option. Yes, the 993TT can run circles around the 930.... no question. But it depends on what your intentions are with the vehicle.

The vehicle in question will only retain a high premium as long as you do not drive it. I, on the other hand, I drive Porsches....and when they get tired, I have them rebuilt.

Yes there were many 930s built, however...most were destroyed in the first few weeks of purchase or have been very abused. So, assuming the blk/blk 89 930 in question has been well cared for and properly documented with only $10K original miles....I do feel that is quite rare.

Well, if a 930 is what you are after...than a 993TT will never do. They are completely different cars. Personally, I would drive it regardless if it had 10K or 100K miles. I am approaching 180K miles on mine and just did a full rebuilt.

Wonderful car it is. And in all my years of ownership....never once an issue with CIS. CIS only becomes an issue if you want over 400 bhp.

In the latter part of 2006, I made extensive updates to the once factory 930. Many may not agree with my decisions....but I am really enjoying the car. When you purchase yours....you should do the same. It's not all about bhp...make them light...it's about power to weight.

Yes, that red car was once my 79 930. Now I made a 74 RSR/IROC with all 930 running gear including factory I/C all under the duck-tail. Do the math...under 2700 lbs.....and un-corked 930 power. Not too shabby. Make them "LIGHT" and let them "BREATH".

Lastly....in my opinion...the only thing going for an 89 is the 5 spd. I perfer the 78/79. Non catalyst vehicles...soon to be smog exempt....lighter....less creature comforts.

Just remember...
If that car "TALKS" to you...and it's "THE ONE", buy it, enjoy it.....DRIVE IT. I do....and I never look back!

Best of luck Pavulon in your search!

Paul
This is so well said! And I love what you've done with your 930!

I bought a low mileage 930 (35,000 miles) because it was to be my daily driver. I paid a premium for a car that looked like it did the day it left the showroom. I thought the lower mileage would mean more life for me...less troubles How wrong I was! 8,000 miles later I decided to pull the engine and rebuild it! The oil leaks were too much for me to bare and I just got carried away with the "while you're in there's"! It was an expensive lesson, but the car is better than ever and totally sorted! I drive it daily and wouldn't hesitate to take it accross the country!

As Paul said, the car just spoke to me! When I saw the ad on Ebay...I just knew that was the one...I had to have it! I quickly negotiated a deal off-line and the rest is history! I bought to drive and I have no regrets! If the rock chips get to be too much, I'll have it painted. If the interior wear begins to bother me, I'll have it recovered! If the engine goes down again, I'll rebuild it! I just refuse to leave this thing sitting in the garage.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 03-07-2007 at 06:47 AM..
Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Mine spoke to me too, it said "come and rescue me big boy"
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-07-2007, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Yeah.. I've gotta agree with Paul also!

I've got friends who buy these ultra-low mileage cars and just leav'em in the garage to say you have it..and just to look at.

I buy and build my cars to drive.. it its nice out.. I'm trying to get my roll on!

Oh, and Paul...ya think we can get that engine any cleaner!!

Paul..
from the other coast!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

This car has been talking to me for a long time...unfortunately I can't get the owner to call or return an email...anyone in the Fremont, CA area???? Incredibly frustrating....
Scott

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/287533491.html
Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I'm headed that way tomorrow...however I went to the link you posted and can see that the owner is rather rigid with his contact and viewing requirements. If he won't call you back, he must not want to sell it very badly...or perhaps he figures you aren't a "serious buyer"??? I'll be in that general area, but not in Freemont. chuck
Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Last year I was looking to move up from my Boxster. I test drove the the 996 turbo and the 993 turbos. Both were excellent cars.

The 996 seemed allot like the Boxster only more powerful. The price range $75K and up. I drove the 993 and it truely felt different than the 996 ... The 993 gave me a sense of what the "purist" air cooled Porsche was all about. It seemed a little less refined than the 996 but then isn't that a matter of product evolution. The price for the 993 was in the high $50-75K at the time......

Then I had the chance to drive an all original '87 930 with 24K miles... it was absolutely pristine. My first impression....what a raw car...it had none of the refinements of the 993 and 996 turbos. The lag was noticeable but when it hit you knew you were going to go real fast. The car is the quintessential matchbox toy that we all had as kids... ( Ok some of us).

I paid $36k for it ( at a dealership) and felt I overpaid. I had looked at another which I had seen in the classified for $28K - the car had issues. After that I felt allot better about my purchase.

I have put 8k mile on her over the last year and I have been offered $45k for her....

I would say keep looking....It is obvious that they are out there and you will eventually find one at a more realistic price... $30-$50K
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

jwmarc ..

Sounds like you're loving that car!

Hey.. you're kinda sorta in my neighborhood.. we've got to get a bunch of the local Turb guys together sometime soon.

I'm in Silver Spring/DC.. maybe we can hook-up at some of the local events.

I've already promised myself that my car won't be out intil the first weekend in May...car show. After that its tome to put the rubber to the road!

Any other locals around the Beltway feel free to chime in!

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 03-09-2007, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Hey...

This whole value thing gets really interesting. Nobody wants to pay too much, but who wants to pay to little and buy a pig... not to say that you can't do that when paying too much... see the delima?

Its like RODELO said.. if it talks to you.. do it.

I've had my car a number of years..almost sold it a couple of times, broke it partially into parts and hid it from the divorce, traded parts to & from another one which I had..and now its time to un-moth ball the ol' girl and press her back into service! She is #12 in the production run for 78, and I'm glad to still have it around.

I've got budds that buy and trade off new stuff all the time..never satisfied, and I see why.. some of the new stuff almost drives its self.. let your mother-n-law take it out to play Bingo or something!

Then you get into a 930 and it makes your palms sweat & your throat get tight when it lights up and things start happening real fast!
Hey, that's value for me!
That's the sensation that I spent my money for..

Cash value is all over the board on these cars.. in my opinion it all depends on what you want and your reason for buying.

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
jwmarc,

If your car has been as issue-free as 24K miles would have you hope for, then $36K was not too much at all.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Noah930... good point..

I guess it was the fact that I bought the car from a dealer.. I mean do you ever feel you get a great deal from a dealer?????

... had I dealt with a P-guy who was selling his baby and he showed me all the prior paperwork and I got to see how she was kept in a garage and all the other subtle nuances of someone who really cared for the car I would have had no compunction to spend the money...

.... as the car was taken in as a trade for an Audi and knowing the kind of deal the the dealership cuts... ( they had raped me on a Suburban trade-in for a new X-3 a year earlier) I had doubts...

Do I feel that way now nah... I am very happy with the car.

When I see '99 996 cabs going for $28-38K at Manhiem's auction I think to myself what an investment the 930 has been ... a car that has appreciation potential, distinguished pedigree and an absolute joy to drive...

BTW I recently sold the 986... you know I paid $58k for that car in the spring of 1999 and sold it for $23k ...huge loss on that one...( though I did better than most).. it had 35k miles on it.. The person who bought the car said to me
... you know you are asking a premium for the car... my comeback was I have present you the history, you see how it was cared for, you see my other cars and how they are kept ....you know you are getting the best of whats out there....he agreed and signed his check..

Long story here..sorry for that... just remember that if you are dealing with the original owner or someone who has had the car for a long while you can generally tell if you are getting a good deal...not so when you have no real background on the prior owner as was my case with the dealership... heck I tried to get the sales man to give me the prior owners name and number... this is a guy I have bought other new cars from...and you know what.. he wouldn't give the info to me......I know it was a stretch because then i could have asked what he got on the trade in.... then I really would have known how good a deal it was.....

again sorry for the long wind....

2014 X3 2.8 white
Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

WERK-I, I think maybe someone else had that idea before you...... Craig Jackson? Just joking.

I have not driven one, but I bet the 993 tt is some kind of car.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2007, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwmarc
[B]Noah930... good point..

heck I tried to get the sales man to give me the prior owners name and number... this is a guy I have bought other new cars from...and you know what.. he wouldn't give the info to me

The prior owners details must be provided when purchasing a used car from a dealer here in Oz. If you ask and the dealer can't or won't provide the info we contact the Motor Trades Assoc. and they investigate the car and dealer.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm I wonder if there is law here in the states that would say the same....
2014 X3 2.8 white
Old 03-10-2007, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Sorry there is no law in the states for that. It's totally up to the dealer, and in most cases they will not provide that infomation under any circumstances.
Typically, even if the vehicle was sold new, serviced, and traded back to the dealer..if you request the service records, they will provide them but with the previous owners info cropped off the top!

When cars are traded or come in as lease backs..the used car team usually purges all the records including the "Owners Page" in the service book!
RGruppe #180
Old 03-10-2007, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Now adays there is so much importance attached to issues of identitiy privacy that dealers are very cautious about releasing the identities of previous owners. Additionally, you do have folks who will contact prior owners who may not want to be contacted and would hold the dealership liable for the release of that information. I managed to track down all three prior owners of my car...but I did it through the individual owners....there was no dealershlip involved, and the prior owners readily gave up the info.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
In the UK we call it "Data Protection".
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I like the fact that we are able to get prior owners i.d. so as to be able to contact them if need be about service issues, any minor accidents etc. These are things that dealers would generally not divulge. They just say the same old thing, " yep, she's a beauty ". Our system, I like to think, give us more freedom to buy wisely. If the previous owner says the car's a piece of crap you can save money by not worrying about a ppi. I have had people contact me about cars I have sold or traded to dealers and it's not an invasion of privacy, it's common courtesy, after all they are just looking to get the best car they can for their $$$$, like all of us
Old 03-11-2007, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: