Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 Slant nose targa?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but was there a 930 slant nose targa?
A guy down the street from me says his 930 is a slant nose targa twin turbo.
Is this true, or is he just making it up?

Im asking because my dad has been wanting a slant nose and this seems like a really nice one to get.

But I dont know if its a real slant nose or not.

The entire body is metal so I think it's real.

Is there any way I can check to see if its real?

thanks in advance for the help
Old 03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Targas do exist, although not twin turbo from the factory...........I'm don't think they made a Turbo Targa Slantnose, unless it was ordered that way. Heck only a few Turbo Slantnose Cabs exist.....wern't there only like 2 of them in '89???(in the usa anyway)

Obviously run the VIN, but also check for stampings in the rockers for factory porsche part numbers. If it was an aftermarket hacked job, things will be evident like crappy washer bottle mounts, cheap plastic slats in the quarters, hacked jack points that don't go all the way into the rockers. I've seen a couple hacks here before........stuff like that above is not in the factory slantnose cars.

also a good indication to an aftermarket car(or at least major work done to it) will be lack of factory stickers in the engine bay and areas like the gas filler....indications of a poor repaint...

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 03-06-2007 at 08:18 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Slantnose Targas were made as 505 option 911 or 911 turbo in 87 and 88 (not sure about 89 production), and some were made as special wish cars from ~82 to 86. The twin turbo setup is almost definately aftermarket, but it very well could be an original 911 turbo with slant (505) option and a targa roof that was modified to a twin turbo setup.

Good luck!

PatK
87 505 code turbo coupe
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BoxxerSix
I'm don't think they made a Turbo Targa Slantnose, unless it was ordered that way.
Correction in that all Slantnose Porsches had to be ordered that way, be it Coupe, Targa or Cab.

As stated by Kellcats 521, this was option code (505) which retailed for roughly $29K on whatever style 911 you chose to order it on.

Factory Turbo Targas are rare, later 88 & 89 are even more scarce though there were a few, as there were also a couple of the Santnose varients that were produced.

Everyone is correct in that there were no Twin Turbo targas produced by the factory...so if that's what the car is, then its beeb modified.

Also, not all Slantnose coversion are "hack jobs" however you will need to check it carefully.

Easiest way to tell if its a factory slant nose is to check the right rear fender vent. All factory cars ordered with the (505) option had the oil cooler mounted in the rear fender vent.

Also check the headlights, most conversions used separate motors for each light. The factory cars used a single motor connected to a rod that went through the tub on either side to raise the headlights. I believe that setup was actually taken from the 968 parts bin at the factory.

Lastly, make sure if it is a conversion that the fenders at all 4 corners are steel.. The only thing acceptable for me in a fiberglass
conversion would be a DP or Kremer car...and that's a whole different animal.

Good luck to you and your dad!!

P-
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: